Announcements

Join the ongoing conversation on Discord: https://discord.gg/w6Tpkp2

Please read the current update for instructions on downloading the latest update. Players with Mac versions of the game will not be affected, but you will have a slightly longer wait for your version of the new maps. Please make a copy of your character folder before running the new update, just to make sure you don't lose any of your custom work.

It looks like we can give everyone a list of minimum specs for running City of Titans. Please keep in mind that this is 'for now' until we are able to add more graphics and other system refinements. Currently you will need :
Windows 10 or later required; no Intel integrated graphics like UHD, must have AMD or NVIDIA card or discrete chipset with 4Gb or more of VRAM
At least 16GB of main DRAM.
These stats may change as we continue to test.

To purchase your copy of the City of Titans Launcher, visit our store at https://store.missingworldsmedia.com/ A purchase of $50 or more will give you a link to download the Launcher for Windows or Mac based machines.

Possible COH return! Will you stick with COT? (HUGE UPDATE 09/02/2014)

349 posts / 0 new
Last post
AmbiDreamer
Developerkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Lord Nightmare wrote:
Lord Nightmare wrote:

Only 4 50s? Lightweights...
You weren't a true CoX player until you had 10+ ;)

Is it okay if I add up the levels from different characters? Cause of is, I win!

:)

Longtime City of Heroes player, longtime writer. :) Working in Nebraska.
COT: Mission tips writer, studying Cinema 4D animation program

Redlynne
Redlynne's picture
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
I'd play City of Heroes again

I'd play City of Heroes again on one condition ... that not a single cent of my money ever makes its way to NCSoft, who has earned a [b]Lifetime Ban[/b] from my wallet for the span of my lifetime. If NCSoft somehow continues to drain money out of City of Heroes, I simply will not play it.

Needless to say, I fully expect City of Titans to surpass City of Heroes on a tremendous variety of fronts, in part because City of Titans won't be saddled with a legacy codebase so unstable as to be positively self-destructive (in the chinese explosive construction sense). The real strike against City of Heroes is that the codebase is just so horrifically unstable as to be almost beyond human control. "It's all spaghetti code" was the way Noble Savage put it at the 2012 Player Summit.

That said, having a working(!) City of Heroes game around would ironically HELP the development of City of Titans quite a bit, simply by having [i]access[/i] to What Has Been Done Before so as to be able to reference the definitive article, rather than just peoples' memories of it.

[center][img=44x100]https://i.imgur.com/sMUQ928.gif[/img]
[i]Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.[/i][/center]

ecology
If have a coh in process i

If have a coh in process i belive that is very goodfor the comunity. That win the better.
Is very bad when we have only one game (monopoly) like happen with Madden, the competition bring quality to the product.
DCUO is a good superheroe game but i belive if this game have a competitor the game will became better.

Grouchybeast
Grouchybeast's picture
kickstarter
I'd go back to CoH in a

I'd go back to CoH in a heartbeat.

If CoT then comes out at some later point, then of course I'll definitely try that, too. I'll be lined up waiting for the beta to open I think MWM has some great ideas, which is why I put money into the Kickstarter. But CoT is, as yet, a theoretical future game that might not ever happen, and don't see any reason why I'd want to wait to see if it's ever released and if so, if I like it, before I went back to enjoying CoH. And if CoT comes out and is awesome, I'd very probably keep playing both.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for? - Robert Browning

dvirbl
i had a great time playing

i had a great time playing coh and miss is greatly, if it comes out i will play it from time time.
that said i am fully invested in cot, in all respects and i will definetly play it as soon as it is published, the innovations it brings and the direction this team is taking is definetly the way i would have wanted it to go and as long as they keep this up they will have my loyalty as coh did.

as far as i am concerned coh, if it revives, will just be a place holder until cot comes out.

Amerikatt
Amerikatt's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
MWM could put out City of

MWM could put out City of Tabbies in 8-bit mode and I would probably spend eight of my nine lives playing CoT. Kitties may not have great press for being loyal, but this is one loyal, clean-cut, All-American kitty who will be supporting MWM's efforts at providing an immersive experience.

NCSoft has joined the ranks of SOE, EA, and Blizzard on my "NEVER going to buy ANYTHING from them again!" list.

Even if CoH does come back, my game files have likely been wiped. That means that -- as AmbiDreamer mentioned -- the Golden Age Amerikatt won't be back. She's dead.

All of the time and effort and expenditure of RL money to develop her over the course of four years is gone. Nothing will bring her back (except fan fiction, of course)!

The CoT Amerikatt will be the Silver Age/Earth-1 version.

*wends around Doctor Tyche's feet in a Figure-8 pattern*

[center][color=purple][size=16][b][I][url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78N2SP6JFaI]Just a cat from another star![/url][/I][/b][/size][/color][/center]

Zaran
I know I will spend some time

I know I will spend some time in Paragon if it returns. I'll probably finally drop my EVE subscription, which I hardly play anyway (skill queue online, natch:).
However, I'll never give it the time I once did. I hope that I will actually be able to help with CoT; I like what I've seen and I would rather take my precious discretionary time to work towards the future, not live in the past.

oOStaticOo
oOStaticOo's picture
I would definitely reload CoH

I would definitely reload CoH onto my computer and play it again. I'd also play CoT as well. I'd have to see how things go with both to decide on whether or not I'd subscribe to one or the other as I will only have enough funds for one.

I got chills! They're multiplyin'. And I'm losin' control. Cuz the power, I'm supplyin'. Why it's ELECTRIFYIN'!!

Steamtank
Steamtank's picture
kickstarter
Id play Cox until CoT was

Id play Cox until CoT was ready.

Supporting how I can, Starting up a DA group for art, stories, and concepts to be collected
http://city-of-titans.deviantart.com/
Please join up if you plan to make or collect CoT related art.

Gorgon
Gorgon's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
A lot more irritating than

A lot more irritating than the loss of character data is the loss of my superbase data -- I had well over 4000 items placed in that work of art. I had a whole rickety wooden suspended hangar area for stolen longbow flier (the little ones) maintenance above mystical teleporters on a rocky outcropping, an entire mountain top with two caves in it for crafting surrounded by suspended walkways with 8 storage racks, a gorgeous mahogany meeting table much better than the supplied ones, a medical mystical resurrection altar with hidden plant growing facility underneath, and a 57-bunk jail with workout area and contemplation garden for stupid heroes I'd caught.

:-/

Still I'll take what I can get. Playing from scratch seems like no chore since playing up thru levels was always fun, unlike other games where it was "work". Many new games seem like work before you've gone 20 levels the very first time :(

[IMG]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/Gnurl/a72b7fba-8da2-4ac8-8e18-0f8453f7d3ee_zpscc5b27b5.jpg[/IMG]

The very existence of the taunting tank irritates, for it requires idiotic AI that obeys the taunt.

doctor tyche
doctor tyche's picture
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Gorgon wrote:
Gorgon wrote:

A lot more irritating than the loss of character data is the loss of my superbase data -- I had well over 4000 items placed in that work of art. I had a whole rickety wooden suspended hangar area for stolen longbow flier (the little ones) maintenance above mystical teleporters on a rocky outcropping, an entire mountain top with two caves in it for crafting surrounded by suspended walkways with 8 storage racks, a gorgeous mahogany meeting table much better than the supplied ones, a medical mystical resurrection altar with hidden plant growing facility underneath, and a 57-bunk jail with workout area and contemplation garden for stupid heroes I'd caught.
:-/
Still I'll take what I can get. Playing from scratch seems like no chore since playing up thru levels was always fun, unlike other games where it was "work". Many new games seem like work before you've gone 20 levels the very first time :(

You bring up a point which I want to cover.

One of the plans we have is to allow you to store, and even run around and play in, your base on your home system. Yes, this includes base building while off-line. The system is nowhere near ready, but that is the plan for it.

Like you, I spent a ton of time designing my Justice SG's base. Our SG was a band, actually, so we created a base which was a performance hall, practice jam room, recording studio, the tour bus.....

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Garadon
kickstarter
I will be play coh and cot

I will be play coh and cot there is room for both. I can't wait to see your efforts.

Valtina_Firewalker
Valtina_Firewalker's picture
Sarge and I will be here,

Sarge and I will be here, waiting with fire and bells or something like that for the highly anticipated release of CoT. The loss of CoH/V was heart breaking for us and we just can not rectify going back for many reasons.

WraithTDK
WraithTDK's picture
The group is working on

At this point nothing has changed and due to the nature of the deal - it will take a while to finish. NCSoft does not at this point - appear to have the original source code. Other data like that for users is a maybe. What it appears they have - at this point - is a disk image of the final issue 24. NCSoft also does not appear to have any documentation or development tools - at this point.

None of these issues is a deal killer and in fact helps reduce the price as work will have to be done to be able to get the game running again.

Folks like Codewalker, Downix or Arcana may be able to explain what would be needed to reverse engineer this into a working game. I know Downix said he was thinking it might take 6-12 months to get this going - at this point.
I keep saying - at this point because it could change, NCSoft may find more or another source may have something they were sitting on. The team has said in messages that this could be an ongoing things where NCSoft finds more stuff as time passes. Obviously all of these things affect the price and conditions of sale. If suddenly NCSoft hits the jackpot and finds everything - a year from now - what happens? This is not an easy deal and just remember - this game was not shutdown with the intention of selling it later. It was in storage. I really think if we could have hindsight of what we know now a deal could have been done far earlier and not trying to find a 2 year old closed games backup data.

For your own sanity just hang in there as it is very likely the next real movement will be a yes or no - or possibly both. In a deal like this NCSoft may go the way of Cryptic/NCSoft sale and ask for a 2 year deal or some other condition. That is what both sides are working out now. It will take a while to work through each step. Just remember it is easier for NCSoft to do nothing, they are showing respect for our community for even bothering to make a deal. It has been a while since a serious offer was made on the game. I believe it was completely off the NCSoft radar.

So from the sound of it, it'll be an absolute zombie game. Very small odds of actually improving on it at all; and the odds of even getting it WORKING don't sound great.

[img]http://www.wraithtdk.com/imagedump/City%20of%20Titans%20signature.jpg[/img]

Mind-Freeze
Mind-Freeze's picture
Amazing how much money has

Amazing how much money has been lost do to stubbornness from ncsoft they junk and scrap a great game rather than make any money at all oh well time for titans to get underway and continue to amaze us with great artwork and the process of slowly developing a great game and in the process show us how it is all done

Izzy
Izzy's picture
Mind-Freeze wrote:
Mind-Freeze wrote:

... and in the process show us how it is all done.

+1. That would be cool. :)

Gorgon
Gorgon's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
I find it hard to believe

I find it hard to believe they didn't archive off client and server source code as well as final shutdown player databases. That's such a massive achievement with so little effort needed.

It's probably just a hundred meg or so (base design db may be much larger). Nothing to tuck away along with design docs, lists of software needed for dev and runtime, and probably disc images (and scripts to create same) they clone out to the dozen servers on update day.

NCSoft, please do this deal. It's like Minecraft shut down, taking with it all servers, public and private.

Tremendous good will!

[IMG]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/Gnurl/a72b7fba-8da2-4ac8-8e18-0f8453f7d3ee_zpscc5b27b5.jpg[/IMG]

The very existence of the taunting tank irritates, for it requires idiotic AI that obeys the taunt.

Redlynne
Redlynne's picture
Gorgon wrote:
Gorgon wrote:

I find it hard to believe they didn't archive off client and server source code as well as final shutdown player databases. That's such a massive achievement with so little effort needed.

I find it extremely easy to believe. The intention was to [b]DESTROY[/b] ... not to [b]SAVE[/b].

What do Villains do?

What do Heroes do?

Heck, even Vigilantes and Rogues would have had the good sense to at least try to turn a PROFIT somehow!

I could go on, but at this point that would just be adding lemon juice to salt ...

[i]Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.[/i][/center]

Zerohour
Zerohour's picture
I'm very excited to hear that

I'm very excited to hear that CoH might be making a return! I really miss that game, it was my first MMO and one of the select few games that I went back to time and again. Even if it only comes back in zombie mode, I will be more than happy to resub. That being said I am also very much looking forward to CoT. So I guess I will have to reserve judgement on which one I will stick with until I get the chance to play both.

Currently trapped inside the Speed Force...

radientone
radientone's picture
All things have their day in

All things have their day in the sun. CoH was a bright one when it was out, but its sun has set and there can be no going back to it. Dawn is coming for CoT, and it is all the brighter for being in the dark from the last day of CoH's era.

They also serve, who only stand and wait.

Consultant
kickstarter
Is there any new news on CoH

Is there any new news on CoH returning? It's kind of a sad story that NCSoft just turned it off...didn't even keep the option of selling the source code.

Minotaur
Minotaur's picture
Consultant wrote:
Consultant wrote:

Is there any new news on CoH returning? It's kind of a sad story that NCSoft just turned it off...didn't even keep the option of selling the source code.

There's a lot of news, 7500+ posts of it, but no certainty yet.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9675.0.html

not sure if you need to be signed in to Titan network forums or at least have an ID there to see it, check out Ironwolf's posts in that thread.

[color=#ff0000]Tech Team and Forum Moderator[/color]

[img]http://missingworldsmedia.com/images/favicon.ico[/img]

Gangrel
11th Anniversary Badge
Minotaur wrote:
Minotaur wrote:

Consultant wrote:

not sure if you need to be signed in to Titan network forums or at least have an ID there to see it, check out Ironwolf's posts in that thread.

You don't need an ID there to see that stuff.

How do you think I still stay up to date on stuff happening over there after I blew up and deleted all my posts

Quote:

1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.

Minotaur
Minotaur's picture
Gangrel wrote:
Gangrel wrote:

Minotaur wrote:
Consultant wrote:

How do you think I still stay up to date on stuff happening over there after I blew up and deleted all my posts

I kinda assumed you were there on an ID only one other person knew was you :)

Consultant
kickstarter
i looked at a dozen pages of

i looked at a dozen pages of posts...did not see any "revelations" so apparently we are in waiting mode.

Unfortunate from my perspective. A lot of the COH value is as a temp game before COT begins to show us stuff....

But thanks, Minotaur. It was fun to read those posts from old friends.

Minotaur
Minotaur's picture
Consultant wrote:
Consultant wrote:

i looked at a dozen pages of posts...did not see any "revelations" so apparently we are in waiting mode.
Unfortunate from my perspective. A lot of the COH value is as a temp game before COT begins to show us stuff....
But thanks, Minotaur. It was fun to read those posts from old friends.

The revelation really is that there is a process at all. Yes it's in waiting mode, Ironwolf normally keeps the first post updated whenever anything changes. May be some time at this stage, a lot of hard negociation going on atm I suspect.

Lutan
Lutan's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
I guess I would play it again

I guess I would play it again. But this time around the magic will likely be gone. I was subscriber, then VIP-player for years and still I bought every power set, almost every costume part and a lot of style powers. And I got my moneys worth of fun and more out of it, too.

Now I would hesitate on spending even a single penny, after everything has been wiped out. I'd be careful bordering on paranoia and I guess that would put a massive damper on the gaming expierience. Even if they throw in most of the old shop items for free, it's not going to wash away the bitter taste left behind.

I do believe my trust (and with that my money) would be safer in the hands of MWM and so CoT is getting my support.

FrostBurn
FrostBurn's picture
I never even played CoH, i

I never even played CoH, i think my cousin played it for a few years... If CoH did comeback i think i'd play it until CoT arrived.

Mind-Freeze
Mind-Freeze's picture
*bear hugs Lutan*

*bear hugs Lutan*

Gangrel
11th Anniversary Badge
Minotaur wrote:
Minotaur wrote:

Gangrel wrote:
Minotaur wrote:
Consultant wrote:

I kinda assumed you were there on an ID only one other person knew was you :)

I don't even login in at all. The only things I cannot do are search those forums directly or PM people. No trickery needed. If I *really* did need to get in touch with people, I have other means... but that person doesn't really like how they were treated over on those forums either....

Quote:

4) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.

masterghostartist
Minotaur wrote:
Minotaur wrote:

desviper wrote:
CoH lacked any of the innovations I can't wait to see in CoT, e.g., how powersets are handled (origin of attack, malleability of sets), the versatility they boast in costumes (chiefly, placing logos anywhere), and vastly superior Mission, Base, and likely Personal Base creators. The SG base system was an EPIC FAIL for CoH, at the end it was just a really hard way to make an RP room, and the Devs wouldn't touch it. AE was a great start, but the size limitation and limitation of NPCs made it cumbersome.
In short, CoT, if all goes halfly as planned, will be many magnitudes the game CoH ever was.
I would only glance at CoH once CoT is out.

IIRC the devs COULDN'T touch the base code as it was so flaky it just exploded if they tried to do anything to it, so they left it as it was and hoped other updates didn't bring the house of cards crashing down.

the game had several different models. for example (in the first wave) their were "hit boxes" in places. like the head, for critical shots. the first game manager was still experimenting on a autoaim, or self aim model of combat. it must have been all still mushed in there. pull some out, and some dormant code that was obsolete was no longer "skipped", so ungodly changes happened.

it is also way it was so hard to pirate. it was tnt. lol.

What a man thinks of himself, that is what determines, or rather indicates, his fate. - Henry David Thoreau

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Gunterkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Here's the thing I don't

Here's the thing I don't quite understand about the efforts currently underway to buy CoH. If I have it right, it seems the plan (if successful) is to rez CoH at i23 or i24 with no further development (what we've been calling zCoH), and then start working on CoH2. Why spend so much money for a zombie product if the code is in such a state that they will have to start from scratch to make CoH2 anyway? Especially when there are 3 other projects already underway in the same area of the market. Do they believe the lore and setting of the IP have that much value to people that they would be more likely to play something with the same name as the old game rather than CoT or one of the others? It seems like a lot of effort to enter a race that has 3 other players already out running on the track. But I'm no businessman; maybe I'm missing something here.

Spurn all ye kindle.

Minotaur
Minotaur's picture
Cinnder wrote:
Cinnder wrote:

Here's the thing I don't quite understand about the efforts currently underway to buy CoH. If I have it right, it seems the plan (if successful) is to rez CoH at i23 or i24 with no further development (what we've been calling zCoH), and then start working on CoH2. Why spend so much money for a zombie product if the code is in such a state that they will have to start from scratch to make CoH2 anyway? Especially when there are 3 other projects already underway in the same area of the market. Do they believe the lore and setting of the IP have that much value to people that they would be more likely to play something with the same name as the old game rather than CoT or one of the others? It seems like a lot of effort to enter a race that has 3 other players already out running on the track. But I'm no businessman; maybe I'm missing something here.

I think the IP does have some pull, also they may choose to reuse the maps although I'm not sure of the technicalities of importing them to a new engine (somebody from @Irish_girl's revival project can probably tell you about that).

They also get all the lore including the unreleased stuff, meaning that they can get up and running without a lot of what we need to do on the composition side, they only need that for new stuff.

The old game is basically advertising and a teaser for the new one.

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Maybe you're right, and I'm

Maybe you're right, and I'm just looking at this from my perspective. For me, a completely new studio using the old game name on a new game is no guarantee of quality, and in fact occasion for careful scepticism. X-Men 3 would be a similar example, had they ever made a film between X2 and Origins -- which of course they did not... *fingers in ears* La la la la I can't hear you!

Sorry, where was I? Oh yes, also I feel that not being tied down by the old IP is one of the great advantages of CoT.

But maybe I'm in the minority here.

Spurn all ye kindle.

Zerohour
Zerohour's picture
I would like to offer my

I would like to offer my opinion on the subject of this thread. My goal is not to offend anyone first and foremost so apologies in advance to anyone who feels otherwise.

I feel like some members here need to take off the rose colored glasses they are wearing when it comes to CoT. We have ZERO idea how this project is going to turn out and so far we have received little more than t-shirt offers and best intentions. I'm sure MWM is sincere in their goals and objectives, but let's be realistic and wait to see some actual tangible product before we make any decisions about who or where our future loyalties will lay. I think if a lot of you are honest with yourselves you will realize you're excited about the prospect of CoH returning, even in zombie form. That's the whole reason we are here backing CoT, because we want that world returned to us. And can you imagine if CoH2 is actually in the works?? Amazing!

AmbiDreamer
Zerohour wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

I feel like some members here need to take off the rose colored glasses they are wearing when it comes to CoT. We have ZERO idea how this project is going to turn out

I'm confused. We need to stop being optimistic about a game we're supporting? Why? Who's being hurt by optimism?

Zerohour wrote:

And can you imagine if CoH2 is actually in the works?? Amazing!

Plus, new group controlling an old IP. Amazing? Maybe, but by your own definition, aren't those a nice pair of rose colored glasses?

Since, ya know we don't even know who's behind it, nor have we had so much as a t-shirt or statement of intentions.

Darth Fez
Darth Fez's picture
AmbiDreamer has hit the high

AmbiDreamer has hit the high points of what I would have written, so I imagine a +1 is in order.

I don't think anyone is bouncing off the walls, yet, when it comes to CoT. Most of what has me excited and optimistic is the potential I see in CoT, that MWM come across as a solid bunch of folks, and that many of the devs are 'one of us'. I know I don't confuse my optimism with the thought that I will love everything about City of TItans.

- - - - -
[font=Pristina][size=18][b]Hail Beard![/b][/size][/font]

Support [url=http://cityoftitans.com/comment/52149#comment-52149]trap clowns[/url] for CoT!

Redlynne
Redlynne's picture
I'm thinking that the [url

I'm thinking that the [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV--HzX9__I&t=167]Laughing Skeleton[/url] best explains our relationship with City of Heroes.

Quote:

"But you're dead! You can't smell wine! Can't taste it!"

[b]"BUT I REMEMBER ..."[/b]

Zerohour
Zerohour's picture
AmbiDreamer wrote:
AmbiDreamer wrote:

Zerohour wrote:
I feel like some members here need to take off the rose colored glasses they are wearing when it comes to CoT. We have ZERO idea how this project is going to turn out
I'm confused. We need to stop being optimistic about a game we're supporting? Why? Who's being hurt by optimism?
Zerohour wrote:

Plus, new group controlling an old IP. Amazing? Maybe, but by your own definition, aren't those a nice pair of rose colored glasses?
Since, ya know we don't even know who's behind it, nor have we had so much as a t-shirt or statement of intentions.

I'm sorry if you are confused. There is a difference between optimism and blind faith, the latter of which is being displayed by an alarming amount of people here based on very little substance this far. And my whole "amazing" comment was more due to the idea that CoH2 is a possibility after all this time than the quality of the product or the company involved.

Don't be so quick to try to be clever next time.

Izzy
Izzy's picture
Zerohour wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

... There is a difference between optimism and blind faith, the latter of which is being displayed by an alarming amount of people here based on very little substance this far. ...

You are right about "very little substance this far", but you are very wrong about peoples "Optimism and Blind Faith".

Its best to think of it like a small neighborhood store. Everybody knows each other and when a promise is made for goods, you are 99.99% sure they will make Every Effort to fulfill it.

Its pretty much the same thing here, which you havent yet come to realize. ;) And every time a request was made and MWM wasnt sure that it was doable... THEY TELL US! "Nope, we cant add that." or "Yep, thats definitely gonna be added."

What you're Expectations Are is to blame. Almost EVERYONE here Knows that MWM are players 1st, then Developers 2nd. So, Yes... we know theres a steep learning curve for MWM, but once they get over the peak... we might see some amazing stuff from them. :D

Who do i trust more with the longevity of a MMO? MWM or NCSoft?
You should know the Answer.. MWM is a much safer bet!

"MMO of the Players, By the Players, For the Players.", Gamer Lincoln. ;)

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
I expressed both my optimism

I expressed both my optimism and my scepticism re: CoT in my original answer to the OP on this thread. Trust me, I have both.

We may know little about CoT, but what we do know is a heckuva lot more than we know about CoH2. As AmbiDreamer suggested, which requires a rosier pair of glasses to get excited about?

Of course, we know more about CoH than about either CoT or CoH2 -- but that's CoH [b]as it was[/b]. As I said earlier, I'll probably play zCoH until CoT has a chance to prove itself. However, there are still plenty of unknowns about the return of CoH: the first being whether the deal to buy it will even be successful. At this point, we don't know it's any more likely that 2016 will see any form of CoH in existence than CoT. If it does, we have the suggestion that zCoH will never be developed any further, which makes it a little less likely to hold my interest for long (and makes me likely to not want to pay the same amount for a sub). If zCoH has none of my old data, so that all my characters, vet rewards, etc, are gone -- well, that takes it down a peg on my scale of interest. And if the new buyers will expect me to buy the game all over again in order to play (I haven't heard any rumours one way or another on this), then it goes down another peg or two.

My faith is far from blind; it's busy sorting all that we know from all we don't know. It just so happens that CoT comes out on top in my own evaluation of what we currently know about these multiple unknowns.

Spurn all ye kindle.

AmbiDreamer
Zerohour wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

AmbiDreamer wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

Zerohour wrote:

I'm sorry if you are confused. There is a difference between optimism and blind faith, the latter of which is being displayed by an alarming amount of people here based on very little substance this far. And my whole "amazing" comment was more due to the idea that CoH2 is a possibility after all this time than the quality of the product or the company involved.
Don't be so quick to try to be clever next time.

Sorry if I'm confused? Honestly, you just weren't very clear the way you worded it.

Anyway, I wasn't [I]trying[/I] to be clever although if you thought that was clever, and I sure hope you do, thank you from the bottom of my black little Irish heart.

Maybe instead of me not being so 'quick to be clever,' you could kindly slow down and explain what you mean better? Thanks.

Little substance? I don't think of ninety plus updates as little. Besides, I don't really see that much blind faith yet.

I disagree with calling COH2 'amazing.' I would suggest that only applies if the game itself is 'amazing.'

I'm not quite sure which statements exactly you think is showing too much blind faith, though. I haven't seen much of it yet, and I'd happily point it out if I did see it.

Which sentiments do you think are overboard and why do you think it's a bad thing?

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Zerohour wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

I feel like some members here need to take off the rose colored glasses they are wearing when it comes to CoT. We have ZERO idea how this project is going to turn out and so far we have received little more than t-shirt offers and best intentions. I'm sure MWM is sincere in their goals and objectives, but let's be realistic and wait to see some actual tangible product before we make any decisions about who or where our future loyalties will lay. I think if a lot of you are honest with yourselves you will realize you're excited about the prospect of CoH returning, even in zombie form. That's the whole reason we are here backing CoT, because we want that world returned to us. And can you imagine if CoH2 is actually in the works?? Amazing!

A zombified CoH or a wishfully-rumored CoH2 equals "Amazing!" to you? Hardly the word I'd use.

I don't know what other players want (because unlike you I won't speak for them) but I'm honestly not all that excited about the possibility of the original CoH returning at this point, especially if it's only going to be in zombie form. At best I might visit it for a few hours for old-time's sake, but I doubt I'd ever seriously "play" such a game again.

CoH had its time in the sun, and even though I played it regularly for 8.5 years and loved every minute of it I'll be the first to admit that as of late 2012 it was a "dated" MMO that probably would not have lasted more than a few more years without a complete ground-up overhaul that was likely never going to happen. Sure I'm still angry with the way NCsoft killed off CoH while it still had some life/profitability left to it. But in the long run it was clear that the game wasn't going to last forever regardless.

And if something like an "official" CoH2 is actually in the works (by NCsoft or whoever) then I'll believe it when I see it. For the time being I'm willing to support CoT as an effective CoH2 surrogate because as far as "vaporware" goes it seems to have just as much chance of success at this point as any other development effort real or imagined.

Bottomline I'd rather wear "rose colored glasses" for a potential successor to CoH that has a real future ahead of it than for a warmed-over corpse of a game that has no future to speak of or the vague hint of an official sequel that seems far less likely than anything else we've seen to date.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012
[IMG=400x225]https://i.imgur.com/NHUthWM.jpeg[/IMG]

Zerohour
Zerohour's picture
Guys. Relax. We are all on

Guys. Relax. We are all on the same side. I have the "K" beside my name same as most if you, which should at the very least tell you that I am a believer in this project and it's potential. All I am trying to say here is that based on a lot of comments I have read over the months since this all started, I feel like there is an awful lot of trust given to the devs just because "they are one of us". If you are honest there really hasn't been much offered at this point to earn that. Yes there have been 90 some odd "updates" (which I'm afraid I say rather lightly) but it's all words. Not that it's a bad thing, I really appreciate the regular communication, but it's nothing to jump ship over yet is it? There's more is like to address but my iPhone is being very uncooperative with letting me scroll back up lol

Nos482
Nos482's picture
Criminus wrote:

I'd play both... afaik there will be no Red Caps in CoT :(

Criminus wrote:

As much as I loved CoH, there were a couple of things I feel it did wrong, which CoT has already planned to fix.
[b]I speak of a blaster with defence, or a tank with range[/b].

That's a Crab Spider...

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_HUdf89hI8]Send out your signal, call in your hero
I kidnapped his lady, now his power's are zero.
[/url]

cybermitheral
cybermitheral's picture
I miss my Crab Spider.

I miss my Crab Spider. Soooooo much AoE fun (once you got the high Endurance usage under control).
Team of 8 VEATS was a sight to behold...

The Phoenix Rising Initiative Rules Lawyer

Criminus
Criminus's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
Its also, at least for me, a

Its also, at least for me, a paid extra, and worse, locked into a role. If I wanted my spec to be typecast, then I'd be playing CO or DCUO.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Zerohour wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

Guys. Relax. We are all on the same side. I have the "K" beside my name same as most if you, which should at the very least tell you that I am a believer in this project and it's potential. All I am trying to say here is that based on a lot of comments I have read over the months since this all started, I feel like there is an awful lot of trust given to the devs just because "they are one of us". If you are honest there really hasn't been much offered at this point to earn that. Yes there have been 90 some odd "updates" (which I'm afraid I say rather lightly) but it's all words. Not that it's a bad thing, I really appreciate the regular communication, but it's nothing to jump ship over yet is it? There's more is like to address but my iPhone is being very uncooperative with letting me scroll back up lol

I understand what you're saying about remaining objectively skeptical about the ultimate fate of CoT and I think I'd agree with you that it's probably a bit too early to outright assume CoT is going to be successful or even launch at all for that matter.

But I'm willing to accept the reality that for every "level-headed kickstarter supporter" out there who's currently patiently waiting to see whether MWM will be able to pull this off there's another pipe-dreamy future player out there who's so blindly hyped up about CoT that to them there's absolutely no way this thing could ever possibly fail. Does that mean that the rabid, unquestioning CoT fanatic is wrong or silly to be thinking the way they do? Maybe. But it honestly doesn't bother me in the least to know that some percentage of this potential future playerbase is wearing your supposed "rose colored glasses" a bit too tightly - why criticize them for that?

Like you said I think most people would want CoT to succeed and those same people would be fairly disappointed if it doesn't. Just because some of us are more "irrationally exuberant" about it than others doesn't mean we have to point them out as being naively "too excited" or some such. Does it honestly bother you to see other people assuming that nothing could go wrong with CoT? How does their blindly positive attitude and trust affect CoT's actual chances to succeed or not?

I say let the so-called rose colored glasses people have their fun here in the forums. Sure if CoT fails we might be able to say (with perfect 20/20 hindsight) that their blind faith in MWM was foolish. But until we know exactly how CoT turns out we don't really know either way. Could be that the skeptics among us spent too much time overly worried over nothing. *shrugs*

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012
[IMG=400x225]https://i.imgur.com/NHUthWM.jpeg[/IMG]

Dutch0524
Zerohour. The issue I have

Zerohour. The issue I have with your comments are thus...
1) How do you quantify blind faith vs optimism? And if someone does cross that rather ambiguous bar into blind faith, who cares? It shouldn't alarm you anymore than someone's pessimism crossing a similarly nebulus line into sheer skepticism.
2) The tone, from my perspective, was one of arrogance...almost as if you were saying "all these fools are getting ahead of themselves and I am the beacon of practicality and reason"...and your comment "Don't be so quick to try and be so clever next time" just added to that tone.

The amount of hope others might have in the success of MWM/CoT shouldn't have any effect on you. Nor should the amount of skepticism someone else might have. In a similar fashion, during my CoX days, I never understood when someone would criticize what others deemed fun for them (griefing aside). If someone wants to badge hunt, farm, stealth missions, defeat every mob, skip to the boss, solo, team, it's all good...enjoy! Go for it! If someone or a team is doing something that I don't find enjoyable, I say bye, have fun, and go do my thing. Just my two cents.

Dutch

Tiger
Tiger's picture
Developerkickstarter
My opinion on this is, memory

My opinion on this is, memory and hope.

City of Heroes is the funnest game I've ever played. Champions and DCUO feel shallow in comparison, even though they have "superior" graphics. After 2 weeks I was bored, primarily because nothing can replace the City of Heroes community. I will always play City of Heroes because of the good memories that I have and I miss playing Tiger. My wife and I even look for Clockworks when we drive by power-line towers. It makes us smile every time.

I will happily play City of Titans. Because, I know the developers love City of Heroes, and will be true to it's spirit, but their vision of the game has some very cutting edge game concepts, and will bring me experiences that I could never have in City of Heroes. So, I am hopeful and look forward to the game.

AmbiDreamer
Zerohour wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

90 some odd "updates" (which I'm afraid I say rather lightly)

I disagree those are 'light' updates for a game set for release between late next year and early the year after, though.

Those 90 updates include lore and setting updates, concept art, a few videos, and some real information on how they expect the game to work.

Is it really surprising that we don't have game footage from a game that isn't due out for at least sixteen months?

I'm not sure where "relax" comes from, as if simply disagreeing with someone is an act of hyperbolic rage.

I'd disagree with the term 'jumping ship,' too. It isn't like we abandoned City of Heroes at the first sign of trouble. It'd been under the waves over a year. I'd feel more like I was 'jumping ship' if I went back to City of Heroes than if I stayed with this project. (Assuming I can't / don't play both.)

bill4747
bill4747's picture
I would definitely play both.

I would definitely play both.

I figure CoT will be 'more advanced' but might take a couple of years to be released.
Plenty of time for some nostalgic CoX fun time.

I would likely play both at the same time anyway.

Zerohour
Zerohour's picture
Dutch0524 wrote:
Dutch0524 wrote:

Zerohour. The issue I have with your comments are thus...
1) How do you quantify blind faith vs optimism? And if someone does cross that rather ambiguous bar into blind faith, who cares? It shouldn't alarm you anymore than someone's pessimism crossing a similarly nebulus line into sheer skepticism.
2) The tone, from my perspective, was one of arrogance...almost as if you were saying "all these fools are getting ahead of themselves and I am the beacon of practicality and reason"...and your comment "Don't be so quick to try and be so clever next time" just added to that tone.
The amount of hope others might have in the success of MWM/CoT shouldn't have any effect on you. Nor should the amount of skepticism someone else might have. In a similar fashion, during my CoX days, I never understood when someone would criticize what others deemed fun for them (griefing aside). If someone wants to badge hunt, farm, stealth missions, defeat every mob, skip to the boss, solo, team, it's all good...enjoy! Go for it! If someone or a team is doing something that I don't find enjoyable, I say bye, have fun, and go do my thing. Just my two cents.
Dutch

Thanks for your response Dutch. I guess I'm not being clear in terms of what I'm trying to get across. Obviously it has no effect on me whatsoever how people want to feel. Go ahead and be super excited. I'm excited too. I've just been trying to point out, or maybe ask the question, why is such excitement warranted at this point? I just haven't been able to figure out how MWM has earned it based on what we have been given up to now.

I think part of my issue is that I'm afraid if we are *too* accepting and grateful, and not asking enough questions, MWM might relax too much or get sloppy. Isn't part of our job as the community to say "no, that's not good enough"? Devotion to our memories of CoH and our longing to return to that world has gotten us, and MWM, this far but isn't it time to start having our loyalties (and money) reinforced with more than just "trust us, things are happening"?

Redlynne
Redlynne's picture
Zerohour wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

but isn't it time to start having our loyalties (and money) reinforced with more than just "trust us, things are happening"?

Nice sentiment.
Let me guess, you've never been "in" the gaming industry before, have you?

What you describe here is [b]Standard Operating Procedure[/b] for just about every single game developer in the industry. This is done FOR A REASON.

Three guesses as to what that reason is ... and the first two don't count.

Darth Fez
Darth Fez's picture
Zerohour wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

I think part of my issue is that I'm afraid if we are *too* accepting and grateful, and not asking enough questions, MWM might relax too much or get sloppy. Isn't part of our job as the community to say "no, that's not good enough"?

If you think the community is too laid back and relaxed right now, wait until MWM starts sharing numbers, mechanics, and game play videos. Trust me, people will speak up about anything they don't like.

Especially all the armchair developer 'experts'.

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

- - - - -
[font=Pristina][size=18][b]Hail Beard![/b][/size][/font]

Support [url=http://cityoftitans.com/comment/52149#comment-52149]trap clowns[/url] for CoT!

Izzy
Izzy's picture
Darth Fez wrote:
Darth Fez wrote:

Heyyyy!!!
Do I seem like the type!?!? :P
I Resemtble that Remark! :<
Hmmmmphhh! >.>

Mind-Freeze
Mind-Freeze's picture
It's ok Izzy while in that

It's ok Izzy while in that armchair I'm sure you have a nice cool beer and nachos :-)

Criminus
Criminus's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
Dear Zerohour.

Dear Zerohour.

Hi there. Criminus here, aka Jason.
I've been on youtube for a few years now, I used to argue the atheist and sceptic cause (and sometimes still do), now I make fishing video's (but thats another story). The point is, in video and comment, I've been part of 'the great debate' for a long time. I know the arguments, I know the counter arguments. I know when people are being agressive, I can see when folks are being polite, I can see when people are reacting to venom with restraint. I can spot an internet troll a mile away. Sometimes I give them their own medicine, sometimes I block them and walk away, and sometimes I get really angry and let the fur fly.
The point is, well, look at your comments, your first 2 comments, and how people have replied to you. Your first post basically called everyone foolish for being excited about the project, your second post was worse. It came off as placing the blame on others confusion on their lack of understanding, not your clarity. this was followed up with the gem "Don't be so quick to try to be clever next time."
THAT is internet troll language if I ever saw it. I should know, I've used similar speach myself in the past. You just called AmbiDreamer NOT CLEVER. Essentially, you just called another forum user an idiot, in trollspeak.
I'm saying all this with the best of intentions, to you and others involved. Your more recent posts have been far more polite, and I sincerely thank you for that. you should also note the politeness and understanding others have given your initial posts, if it had been me, well, I tend to escalate, even when I know I shouldnt.
So sure, we can say "hold back the praise for the product, until we see the product", thats fair enough, but by the gawds (lol) I'm excited about the project, and I'm not ashamed to say so. I'm just asking you to note the tone you presented. If it was upto me, I'd ask for a little apology to AmbiDreamer, but thats between you two.

All the best
Jay.

doctor tyche
doctor tyche's picture
Darth Fez wrote:
Darth Fez wrote:

Zerohour wrote:
I think part of my issue is that I'm afraid if we are *too* accepting and grateful, and not asking enough questions, MWM might relax too much or get sloppy. Isn't part of our job as the community to say "no, that's not good enough"?
If you think the community is too laid back and relaxed right now, wait until MWM starts sharing numbers, mechanics, and game play videos. Trust me, people will speak up about anything they don't like.

Oh indeed. For this weeks update, we had a delay caused because one of our feedback people brought up that we would get a likely complaint if we did not include a screenshot of one particular feature, even though it is trivial to implement. So, head that off at the pass.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Lord Nightmare
Lord Nightmare's picture
Because giving an old IP to a

Because giving an old IP to a new group [url=http://howdoesthemovieend.com/images/jmovies/img_pictures/highlander-the-source.jpg]ended SO WELL[/url] [url=http://www.popchix.com/images/uploads/dmc-dante.jpg]the last time[/url].

Doctor Tyche wrote:

Oh indeed. For this weeks update, we had a delay caused because one of our feedback people brought up that we would get a likely complaint if we did not include a screenshot of one particular feature, even though it is trivial to implement. So, head that off at the pass.

Head em off at the pass? I HATE that Cliche!

[B]Revenge is motivation enough. At least it's honest...[/B]

Roleplayer; Esteemed Villain
[img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg[/img]

darrall123
darrall123's picture
Hell YEAh ! i'll return to

Hell YEAh ! i'll return to city of heroes. I know the cities the powers the enhancement setup all id have to do is remake my favorite toons. As far as city of titans goes(if its really a game) or just some people trying to make off with my money, I know nothing about the game after all this time there's no valid video of game play just a few months ago they uploaded a video about the game play that showed jack! Copy and paste a few words and thats it! ?! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxG88PBoEZ8 I'm seriously doubting there even will be a game released from city of titans. City of heroes was hard fought for for a reason, nowadays it seems games are more about money. I've been playing dc universe online and people had to buy auras for over 20 million in-game cash!?? really ?? at least COH gave us customization automatically or by just completing a mission or being a fully subscribed player.
The community was simply welcoming team-play. Sometimes Atlas park felt like a Starbucks or club depending on the server but not overwhelming. I heard a few people say they'd gladly go to hell if they could still play city of heroes. Now how dedicated is that?! I wouldn't go that far but its a testament on how much value was in this game even though the graphics weren't the best in the world.
Its my opinion but i wouldn't gamble away a game ive grown to love for over 7 years for fake game that i know nothing about and after 2 years they still haven't put anything feasible online to validate this is even a real game. There was a game called Project Awakening and this was the ONLY contender i felt could have the potential to surpass coh but it was up in the air if they would go mmo or solo player. they asked for just 500k but they had trailers you could see on youtube, This game has almost a million dollars put into it and they cant show anything longer than a black and white intro and a few buildings?? Im just saying, think about it people i think were being had.

Project awakeining had to abandon the game in the end but they were on a great track. check it out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ8NL3LZkUo

whiteperegrine
whiteperegrine's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
I can honestly say that I

I can honestly say that I would check out a resurrected COH if it appeared on the scene. as Tiger mentioned it was the funnest mmo that I have ever played. this is due to multiple factors, with community being the most prominent. I would putter around in my ole stomping grounds until COT hit the scene. the 'hope' being that it is more than just a visual improvement over COH, although to be honest I had no problem with the way COH looked and quite actually enjoyed it as I am not one who needs bleeding edge graphics to enjoy a game. :)

[img]http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/whiteperegrine/84183/69278/69278_original.gif[/img]

Izzy
Izzy's picture
darrall123 wrote:
darrall123 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxG88PBoEZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilXbHxONdNw
Is that the same game? Midway fell apart and went bankrupt right?

FrostBurn
FrostBurn's picture
oh sad that the game didn't

oh sad that the game didn't make it, I remember when it was first revealed :(

vanguard026
11th Anniversary Badge
I on a whim searched for a

I on a whim searched for a COH private server and discovered this community.

As an avid MMO player and ardent supporter/proselytizer of COH when it was active, I can assure you I'd be interested.

Much hypuuuuu!

Gotta look through these forums more but really pumped!
As a player from beta to the end of days, I'm shocked I didn't know about this. So happy though!
Ahhh! :D

Let's spread the hype! Tell your friends that like MMOs!

Zerohour
Zerohour's picture
Criminus wrote:
Criminus wrote:

Dear Zerohour.
Hi there. Criminus here, aka Jason.
I've been on youtube for a few years now, I used to argue the atheist and sceptic cause (and sometimes still do), now I make fishing video's (but thats another story). The point is, in video and comment, I've been part of 'the great debate' for a long time. I know the arguments, I know the counter arguments. I know when people are being agressive, I can see when folks are being polite, I can see when people are reacting to venom with restraint. I can spot an internet troll a mile away. Sometimes I give them their own medicine, sometimes I block them and walk away, and sometimes I get really angry and let the fur fly.
The point is, well, look at your comments, your first 2 comments, and how people have replied to you. Your first post basically called everyone foolish for being excited about the project, your second post was worse. It came off as placing the blame on others confusion on their lack of understanding, not your clarity. this was followed up with the gem "Don't be so quick to try to be clever next time."
THAT is internet troll language if I ever saw it. I should know, I've used similar speach myself in the past. You just called AmbiDreamer NOT CLEVER. Essentially, you just called another forum user an idiot, in trollspeak.
I'm saying all this with the best of intentions, to you and others involved. Your more recent posts have been far more polite, and I sincerely thank you for that. you should also note the politeness and understanding others have given your initial posts, if it had been me, well, I tend to escalate, even when I know I shouldnt.
So sure, we can say "hold back the praise for the product, until we see the product", thats fair enough, but by the gawds (lol) I'm excited about the project, and I'm not ashamed to say so. I'm just asking you to note the tone you presented. If it was upto me, I'd ask for a little apology to AmbiDreamer, but thats between you two.
All the best
Jay.

Criminus, I appreciate your time and I thank you for not resorting to posting negatively. I think sometimes I just say how I feel without planning too far ahead. Trust me, my intentions are NEVER to put anyone down or make fun at a person's expense. I plan on being a part of this burgeoning community for a long time, so the last thing I want to do is blacklist myself as a troll or a difficult player. So like I said in my original post, I apologize wholeheartedly to anyone and everyone who feel as if I've targeted them, or even worse, belittled their feelings regarding CoT (that includes you AmbiDreamer. I got a little defensive and I felt like you were being snarky with me, so instead of acting like an adult I went into child mode. Sorry.)

Basically I just don't want to get burned by this project. I got into a fight with my wife over donating to CoT because she isn't really internet savvy and doesn't completely understand what this is all about. In her opinion I wasted money haha. I really, really want to be 100% excited and climbing the walls, I do. I just have to tread lightly until I see something that makes me believe.

Criminus
Criminus's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
In that case, you may take a

In that case, you may take a high five or a big hug, which ever is your preference. :-)

Consultant
kickstarter
If a zCOH comes online before

If a zCOH comes online before COT, I will play it. Even though we will have lost our characters, vet rewards, accolades, etc, there might be one new thing the resurrected game would have.

I guess we might all be on one server.

That would be sort of fun, in fact. There are a lot of cool people in the community, that were not on my old server(s). And it would be worth playing until COT launches.

AmbiDreamer
Criminus wrote:
Criminus wrote:

If it was up to me, I'd ask for a little apology to AmbiDreamer, but that's between you two.
All the best
Jay.

I just want to give a 'thank you' for the sentiment.

Zerohour wrote:

(that includes you AmbiDreamer. I got a little defensive and I felt like you were being snarky with me, so instead of acting like an adult I went into child mode. Sorry.)

No problem. I might have done the same with my original post. It could have possibly been written better.

But as you said, we're both on the same side here and we both want the project to succeed.

I just happen to take the sincerely held viewpoint that the information we're getting seems to be along the lines of what I would expect for the game at that point. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. I mean, you know, if I'm forced to.

darrall123
darrall123's picture
yes there the same game. too

yes there the same game. too bad to :[

7thGate
I would probably at least

I would probably at least give it a shot if CoH relaunched. If they actually lost the source code, I am genuinely appalled. I cannot even begin to imagine deleting or destroying the source control system for a project like this after it gets shelved. I could understand losing the build environment/documentation on how to make things work, but to lose the actual source code you've spent millions of dollars paying people to create over the years? Who does that??

D-Pad
11th Anniversary Badge
Generally, it's done for the

Generally, it's done for the same reason that studios tear down million-dollar movie sets, or contractors smelt down multi-million dollar military equipment: there just isn't enough space, or it simply isn't needed anymore.

Although it would be [i]nice[/i] to have a catalog of all things ever done, even in the digital world, there is such a thing as Limited Space. There's a good chance that when they scrapped City of Heroes / Villains, current projections showed that there was little to no chance that it was coming back. As a result, they blanked what they didn't need, and most likely slotted something else in in its place. Part of what companies do is Cut Costs; if it's cheaper to scrap something than it is to move and store it, then scrapping is the way to go.

[color=#ff0000]Composition Team[/color]

Sand_Trout
kickstarter
Interdictor wrote:
Interdictor wrote:

If CoT lives up to expectations then I will be playing this game. CoT has the potential to be so much more than the predecessor.
If CoH does manage to find a new lease on life - it will be more like a zombie than a living game - it would not grow or expand - it will likely be stuck at the condition it was when it died. It would be a nice distraction - sure - but I have no desire to spend a great deal of time in a stagnant game - I'd simply be biding my time until something better comes along.

I'm pretty much here as well.

CoH was great for its time, but after a point, just due to the nature of coding things like that, it becomes too boated and tangled to really innovate with, which is where a true or spiritual successor needs to take up the reigns of lessons learned, which seems to be what MWM is doing.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

doctor tyche
doctor tyche's picture
7thGate wrote:
7thGate wrote:

I would probably at least give it a shot if CoH relaunched. If they actually lost the source code, I am genuinely appalled. I cannot even begin to imagine deleting or destroying the source control system for a project like this after it gets shelved. I could understand losing the build environment/documentation on how to make things work, but to lose the actual source code you've spent millions of dollars paying people to create over the years? Who does that??

I for one doubt that any code was lost. it is more likely that it is unavailable due to NCSoft using some of it elsewhere. "Wow, Wildstar is having a problem controlling pets, key, Paragon used pets in CoH, let's study how they got it to work." Even if the code itself is not used, it may be studied by other games, which would open those games up to exploitation should some hole they missed be noticed.

I worked in a health insurance processing firm, we did not release source for precisely that reason. I could easily see a large game company in the same boat.

Technical Director

Risha
Risha's picture
Testing, mostly to see if I

Testing, mostly to see if I have the Kickstarter thing. If not, another go-round of communication, I guess, but Hideous Deadlines are gone, so I finally have time to sort this out.

Fantasy Writer, Dancing at the End of the World

syntaxerror37
syntaxerror37's picture
7thGate wrote:
7thGate wrote:

From what I have heard, CoH was not sunseted gracefully. It is very believable that the source code is sitting on a couple of DVDs or a had drive somewhere in the NCsoft offices or warehouse. That doesn't mean that NCsoft knows where the hell they put said discs/drive.

-----------------------------------------
I never set anything on fire accidentally!

The Titan Legacy - Defender of the Inner Flame

Lord Nightmare
Lord Nightmare's picture
syntaxerror37 wrote:
syntaxerror37 wrote:

7thGate wrote:

From what I have heard, CoH was not sunseted gracefully. It is very believable that the source code is sitting on a couple of DVDs or a had drive somewhere in the NCsoft offices or warehouse. That doesn't mean that NCsoft knows where the hell they put said discs/drive.

Brings be back to 2004 and earlier when games had like 4 CDs and you had to swap them during installation. Good times.. good times..

Even worse when you're like me and have literally a filing cabinet full of them -.-

[B]Revenge is motivation enough. At least it's honest...[/B]

Roleplayer; Esteemed Villain
[img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg[/img]

doctor tyche
doctor tyche's picture
83 floppy disk install....

83 floppy disk install.... and disk #78 is corrupt

That is all.

Technical Director

Catherine America
Catherine America's picture
Pretty sure I actually cried

Pretty sure I actually cried once

[img]https://i.imgur.com/26pBVBG.png[/img]

([i]Currently developing the Sapphire 7 Initiative[/i])

Izzy
Izzy's picture
Catherine America wrote:
Catherine America wrote:

Ohhh.. didnt you Blow on it? :o

Empyrean
Empyrean's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
Izzy wrote:
Izzy wrote:

Catherine America wrote:

Ohhh.. didnt you Blow on it? :o

I hope that's a NES/Atari reference...

FIGHT EVIL! (or go cause trouble so the Heroes have something to do.)

masterghostartist
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

83 floppy disk install.... and disk #78 is corrupt
That is all.

slot luck more, and drop in some acc. geez.

What a man thinks of himself, that is what determines, or rather indicates, his fate. - Henry David Thoreau

Rian_frostdrake
Rian_frostdrake's picture
I suppose one important

I suppose one important factor is if the new guys have a plan to, if the server becomes too expensive, transition the game into some sort of a private server allowed setup, similar to what ashterons call was doing. My caution with games that can go away forever is, understandably, quite high, but otherwise, sure, I would enjoy playing both. Coh is the feel that I enjoyed, and as someone who still occasionally played the original metroid and legend of zelda on my 3ds, sometimes you want to go to the old comfortable scenes, but cot is the next step, and its one i have already financially vested myself in, so I would support both,provided both had a "dead server" contingency plan. I am of the understanding that cot does have such a plan.

there will be fancy.

Izzy
Izzy's picture
Empyrean wrote:
Empyrean wrote:

I hope that's a NES/Atari reference...

[img]http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/v1/products/110831674/views/1,width=280,height=280.png/nes-cartridge-blow-me-1850.png[/img] ;)

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Not to mention having to

Not to mention having to tweak your config.sys and autoexec.bat for every game...

Spurn all ye kindle.

masterghostartist
Rian_frostdrake wrote:
Rian_frostdrake wrote:

I suppose one important factor is if the new guys have a plan to, if the server becomes too expensive, transition the game into some sort of a private server allowed setup, similar to what ashterons call was doing. My caution with games that can go away forever is, understandably, quite high, but otherwise, sure, I would enjoy playing both. Coh is the feel that I enjoyed, and as someone who still occasionally played the original metroid and legend of zelda on my 3ds, sometimes you want to go to the old comfortable scenes, but cot is the next step, and its one i have already financially vested myself in, so I would support both,provided both had a "dead server" contingency plan. I am of the understanding that cot does have such a plan.

they say it can be played to a extent on your home computer, and... servers are cheap. at least some are. you can get a server for 650 usd. just like how a home computer has fgotton more powerful and cheaper, so have servers.

KaosKitteh
KaosKitteh's picture
kickstarter
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

You bring up a point which I want to cover.
One of the plans we have is to allow you to store, and even run around and play in, your base on your home system. Yes, this includes base building while off-line. The system is nowhere near ready, but that is the plan for it.
Like you, I spent a ton of time designing my Justice SG's base. Our SG was a band, actually, so we created a base which was a performance hall, practice jam room, recording studio, the tour bus.....

I didn't think I could love you guys more... but I now do!

Personally... I'm sticking with CoT and some VO. Why? Because though I did have tons of fun in Cox over the 7 years I was there... there comes a time to let things go. Sure usually it's up to the person to let go the past so something new can be built... but I still feel this forced letting go is good. CoX was amazing for what it was... but these guys are building something -new- for us. Something that they're taking our ideas for, and including us, the community, into building.

For me... that makes this an opportunity that far outweighs my incredible sadness when CoX went down for the last time.

I love the community that's being built here, and I, personally, wouldn't trade this new thing for the faded memories of what was.

[color=blue]You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
[i]George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.namesakeradio.com]Come and listen to NameSake Radio![/url]

Voldine
Voldine's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
If NCSoft is involved in any

If NCSoft is involved in any capacity other than 'people who used to own it' a revival of City of Heroes is impossible.

NCSoft still owes me $170 that I spent a week before the shutdown was announced. I had reupped for a YEAR and bought some stuff in the shop. One week before they announced and they refused to refund me, stating that the cutoff date for refunds was SIX DAYS.

I am Italian. They disrespected me, my friends, and the entire City community. They are nothing but scum and anything they have their hand in is tainted by association.

The original Lady of Ysgard. -Virtue
[img]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/203/c/5/Updated_Homage_by_Voldine.jpg[/img]

Gangrel
11th Anniversary Badge
The cut off date was anything

The cut off date was anything bought up to a week before the announcement, however I am aware of people who managed to get refunded for purchases made *just before* this cut off date, but they had to escalate it themselves and just be stubborn with Customer Services.

Of course, there is always the option that most banks/credit card suppliers give you... contest the payment with them directly. Most of the time they refund you no questions asked... although this can end up with NCsoft cancelling your NCsoft account

Now I know people who spent money 6 MONTHS before the closure announcement, and never got refunded.

Quote:

Mind-Freeze
Mind-Freeze's picture
Amen to that statement

Amen to that statement Voldine I'm a nice guy but watch out for us hot headed Italians

Pages