Announcements

Join the ongoing conversation on Discord: https://discord.gg/w6Tpkp2

Please read the current update for instructions on downloading the latest update. Players with Mac versions of the game will not be affected, but you will have a slightly longer wait for your version of the new maps. Please make a copy of your character folder before running the new update, just to make sure you don't lose any of your custom work.

It looks like we can give everyone a list of minimum specs for running City of Titans. Please keep in mind that this is 'for now' until we are able to add more graphics and other system refinements. Currently you will need :
Windows 10 or later required; no Intel integrated graphics like UHD, must have AMD or NVIDIA card or discrete chipset with 4Gb or more of VRAM
At least 16GB of main DRAM.
These stats may change as we continue to test.

To purchase your copy of the City of Titans Launcher, visit our store at https://store.missingworldsmedia.com/ A purchase of $50 or more will give you a link to download the Launcher for Windows or Mac based machines.

Possible COH return! Will you stick with COT? (HUGE UPDATE 09/02/2014)

349 posts / 0 new
Last post
WraithTDK
WraithTDK's picture
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Possible COH return! Will you stick with COT? (HUGE UPDATE 09/02/2014)

Let's talk about what I'm sure for many of us is the elephant in the room. For those who have not heard, there is currently another attempt underway to buy the game rights to the COH IP. In addition, there is talk of a production company negotiating for the movie/TV rights. In short, there is still a chance that Paragon could rise again. If the game group succeeds, their wish is to bring the game back (from all reports the accounts were torched, so you'd have to start over from scratch). If the movie/TV group gets the rights, who knows.

But this leaves me to the big question:

To players: ff COH returns, will you still be moving in to Titan city?

To Devs: if COH returns, will you still be [b]building[/b] Titan city?

For me, the answer is yes. As badly as I miss COH, I'm not sure it would be the same returning to it at this point. I've been gone for so long. Even before the game went under, I missed a lot of content. When I left, I was one of the oldest vets still there; having come in at Beta. If I came back now, I'd be n00b again; which I suppose wouldn't be the end of the world, since it wouldn't be filled with level 50's yet.

Regardless, I like the idea of starting over. It's not just COH I want back, I want to re-experience Paragon City for the first time. I want to discover a world of new stuff. I want build a new community again.

Mind you, that's not to say I wouldn't also visit Paragon City. Especially if it came back this year; I might test the waters again, and then hop over to Titan when it goes into beta. But one way or another, I feel like Titan City is my future.

What say you, brothers and sisters?

UPDATE! This was posted to one of the COH Facebook pages:

The group is working on possibly signing a deal in the next few days. All of the good Karma you can muster point towards South Korea and let NCSoft be persuaded! They are in touch with the last guy who if he signs the game is purchased.

I don't know the exact details of what is in this deal but it is VERY close. It appears at this stage User Data may not be available - at least not at this time. More details as things unfold. It seems their data storage retrieval system is to equal that of the IRS. If this goes well the new Overlords will be up and running with further details.

UPDATE 2!

At this point nothing has changed and due to the nature of the deal - it will take a while to finish. NCSoft does not at this point - appear to have the original source code. Other data like that for users is a maybe. What it appears they have - at this point - is a disk image of the final issue 24. NCSoft also does not appear to have any documentation or development tools - at this point.

None of these issues is a deal killer and in fact helps reduce the price as work will have to be done to be able to get the game running again.

Folks like Codewalker, Downix or Arcana may be able to explain what would be needed to reverse engineer this into a working game. I know Downix said he was thinking it might take 6-12 months to get this going - at this point.
I keep saying - at this point because it could change, NCSoft may find more or another source may have something they were sitting on. The team has said in messages that this could be an ongoing things where NCSoft finds more stuff as time passes. Obviously all of these things affect the price and conditions of sale. If suddenly NCSoft hits the jackpot and finds everything - a year from now - what happens? This is not an easy deal and just remember - this game was not shutdown with the intention of selling it later. It was in storage. I really think if we could have hindsight of what we know now a deal could have been done far earlier and not trying to find a 2 year old closed games backup data.

For your own sanity just hang in there as it is very likely the next real movement will be a yes or no - or possibly both. In a deal like this NCSoft may go the way of Cryptic/NCSoft sale and ask for a 2 year deal or some other condition. That is what both sides are working out now. It will take a while to work through each step. Just remember it is easier for NCSoft to do nothing, they are showing respect for our community for even bothering to make a deal. It has been a while since a serious offer was made on the game. I believe it was completely off the NCSoft radar.

*****************************************UPDATE 3!***********************************

Everyone read this: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10284.0

Long story short, the people behind the above-mentioned deal...ARE PART OF MWM.

COT, along with Valianc, Heroes & Villains and others, may be more than simply "spiritual" successors. This is freaking huge.

[img]http://www.wraithtdk.com/imagedump/City%20of%20Titans%20signature.jpg[/img]

TTheDDoctor
TTheDDoctor's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
I'd say if CoH makes a

I'd say if CoH makes a comeback, there should be a way to cross toons over with impunity. If you make a Fire/Invulnerability Scrapper in CoH, you can play in both universes with him. The initial level cap for CoT will be 30, but they plan on going all the way to 50 like CoH. Plus the powers are going to be roughly the same, and collaboration could let costume peices/animations be one in the same in both games so CoT's creative movement isn't snuffed out...

...But if not, I'd probably just wallow in both games. Maybe just stick with one or the other if they are worlds apart in quality and content.

<==========)===O|TtDd|O===(==========>
[url=http://cityoftitans.com/forum/toon-profiles-nnekonnin-llabanttselel-aalbusuumbra-aagimundr-sstaalsol-and-doctor]My original character profiles![/url]
[img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/26.jpg[/img]

WraithTDK
WraithTDK's picture
AAlbusUUmbra wrote:
AAlbusUUmbra wrote:

I'd say if CoH makes a comeback, there should be a way to cross toons over with impunity. If you make a Fire/Invulnerability Scrapper in CoH, you can play in both universes with him. The initial level cap for CoT will be 30, but they plan on going all the way to 50 like CoH. Plus the powers are going to be roughly the same, and collaboration could let costume peices/animations be one in the same in both games so CoT's creative movement isn't snuffed out...
...But if not, I'd probably just wallow in both games. Maybe just stick with one or the other if they are worlds apart in quality and content.

That's not going to happen The power sets aren't going to be the same (similar, but they have to be different enough to avoid copyright infringement), the costumes aren't going to be the same; it just wouldn't work. Even if they DID figure something out, it would require extensive work and co-operation between MWM and whomever buys COH, and present HUGE technical problems.

[img]http://www.wraithtdk.com/imagedump/City%20of%20Titans%20signature.jpg[/img]

Izzy
Izzy's picture
Well, if i had to bet which

Well, if i had to bet which would last longer, i would have to say CoT.

Negatives for CoH/V:

- The old CoH/CoV game engine seemed to be a huge culprit when trying to implement New Game Elements like Graphics FX and certain game Mechanics.. like Wall Running.
- in CoH/V.. 2 times more work is needed to Add new functionality / Maintain (fix) existing functionality... because of the spaghetti code layered on top for each Issue update. :(
- I recall reading somewhere that the Whip Attacks in Demon Summoning was VERY tough on the developers to add. Thats an EPIC FAIL! Because, this is what most of the COOL Animations in a Powerset should be trying to emulate. No ZORRO!? No Catwoman!? :<
- Immersion breaking Animation Stacking, or should I say "The Lack Of" animation Effect Stacking.
What do i mean by that? I cant recall precisely, but there were a number of animation effects that snared a foe (held or some other effect), which when Attacked didnt change (Stack / Overlay) the animation to show the enemy as being hit.. instead the Held animation would still be playing like you didnt really use your attack on the foe. This was a Huge Pet Peeve for me. >:(
- a tiny negative... Fluent movement. They did a decent job of it. But..
Well, 1st... They showed it was possible to bring life into a characters movements with the introduction of Ninja Run, WALK, ...but I wanted to see more fluid movements also in regular attacks be affected by the Stance State.
If your current [b]Stance State[/b] was Ninja Run, then attacks, as well as Other travel type of powers would be affected by your toggled on Stance State.
Even if you have a Walking Dead [b]Stance State[/b] on... it should slightly affect each aspect of your animation attacks or whichever animations there are. We should be striving for more fluent animations like: http://youtu.be/Or5NgQbOu7s?t=6m6s

Positives for CoH/V:

- More Powersets/Costumes/etc.. than CoT might have at Launch.
- err... That's It. ;D

RottenLuck
RottenLuck's picture
If Coh comes back it still

If Coh comes back it still wouldn't be Paragon Studio's Coh. BaBs, Warwitch and the other Devs wouldn't be there. Sure a new set of Devs will take over it, but will they have the same interactive mentality that Paragon Studio did? I'm not sure if I return really. Perhaps a month or so to do some missions I didn't experience, but nostalgia has kicked in so I'm sure I'm remembering things better than they really were.

-------------------------------------------
Personal rules of good roleplay
1.) Nothing goes as planned.
2.) If it goes as planned it's not good RP

AmbiDreamer
Developerkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Like most of the responses

Like most of the responses you're going to get, my response can be summed up in a short phrase: "In a word, no."

The real question would be if the mystery new company could sell me on their ability to handle City of Heroes well enough for me to give it a try. And with so much time having passed already, I'm not sure that's possible.

I wouldn't worry about the devs abandoning this game if City of Heroes comes back, though. A MMO is a serious commitment. It isn't something you abandon developing on a whim.

Longtime City of Heroes player, longtime writer. :) Working in Nebraska.
COT: Mission tips writer, studying Cinema 4D animation program

WraithTDK
WraithTDK's picture
Very happy with the direction

Very happy with the direction this thread is going. Sounds like most of us are on the same page. COH was perhaps the greatest gaming experience of my life; but it's kind of a "you can never go home again" scenario. I've spent so much time saying I want my game back; I think the truth is I want the experience back; and I'm not sure that's possible by simply re-running the same game. You don't get that feeling of watching it grow and evolve while your character evolves with it. Perhaps COH is simply better kept a wonderful memory.

Minotaur
Minotaur's picture
I intend to play both if both

I intend to play both if both exist. We should know in a couple of months at the latest if CoH is returning, and if it is, I suspect something will be playable long before anything is from this project, so yes I'll play it. That said I'll still be here and doing what I can to make CoT a reality. IMO it's odds against CoH returning and there is too much excitement atm, but I'd be pleased to be wrong.

[color=#ff0000]Tech Team and Forum Moderator[/color]

[img]http://missingworldsmedia.com/images/favicon.ico[/img]

Interdictor
Interdictor's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
If CoT lives up to

If CoT lives up to expectations then I will be playing this game. CoT has the potential to be so much more than the predecessor.

If CoH does manage to find a new lease on life - it will be more like a zombie than a living game - it would not grow or expand - it will likely be stuck at the condition it was when it died. It would be a nice distraction - sure - but I have no desire to spend a great deal of time in a stagnant game - I'd simply be biding my time until something better comes along.

TTheDDoctor
TTheDDoctor's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
WraithTDK wrote:
WraithTDK wrote:

AAlbusUUmbra wrote:

That's not going to happen The power sets aren't going to be the same (similar, but they have to be different enough to avoid copyright infringement), the costumes aren't going to be the same; it just wouldn't work. Even if they DID figure something out, it would require extensive work and co-operation between MWM and whomever buys COH, and present HUGE technical problems.

Welp then, I guess I'll just wallow in both games. Maybe just stick with one or the other if they are worlds apart in quality and content.

<==========)===O|TtDd|O===(==========>
[url=http://cityoftitans.com/forum/toon-profiles-nnekonnin-llabanttselel-aalbusuumbra-aagimundr-sstaalsol-and-doctor]My original character profiles![/url]
[img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/26.jpg[/img]

Mind-Freeze
Mind-Freeze's picture
I'd have to go with city of

I'd have to go with city of titans so many people felt cheated, burned, let down, heart ripped from their chest,uppercut to the jaw, leaving mixed feelings here and there but it will be a nice distraction until city of titans rises from ashes.

Criminus
Criminus's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
As much as I loved CoH, there

As much as I loved CoH, there were a couple of things I feel it did wrong, which CoT has already planned to fix.
I speak of a blaster with defence, or a tank with range.
Okay, that seams like a shallow quibble, but when you have a character in mind, and one of the 2 games can make it happen, what ya gonna do?
In CoH I found ways around it, a blaster with energy melee secondary, simply because the 100% knock down punch was SO usefull.
The other option was something similar to a blaster (cant remember now), but there was a secondary where you could knock down entire groups, from low level (100% too).
Ah man, now i'm remembering flying around town, blowing hordes of 'thorns' off the rooftops, lol.

Anyway, yeah, its Cot all the way, even if just for the Gunner.

Amerikatt
Amerikatt's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
MWM has given me a home on

MWM has given me a home on their forums, and I look forward to playing in their world. First and foremost, I am going to be loyal to MWM.

I had a great run as Paragon's Purring Protectress, but I will just consider that the Golden-Age/Earth-2 Amerikatt died valiantly during the Calamity on Multiple Earths maxi-series (this is especially true if her CoH game files were wiped by those Naughty Spawns at NCSoft).

MWM is going to give me a chance to play the Silver Age/Earth-1 Amerikatt, the young kitten crusader just learning the ribbons ... um ... ropes ... of the crimefighting game. *purrs* How can I turn my back on that (or them)?

Besides, I have a better chance of getting an actual feline character model with MWM than I did with NCSoft. *hacks a furball at NCSoft*

[center][color=purple][size=16][b][I][url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78N2SP6JFaI]Just a cat from another star![/url][/I][/b][/size][/color][/center]

Mind-Freeze
Mind-Freeze's picture
*massages behind Amerikatt

*massages behind Amerikatt ears * dinners on me !!

Izzy
Izzy's picture
Mind-Freeze wrote:
Mind-Freeze wrote:

*massages behind Amerikatt ears * dinners on me !!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/rHM8kOV.png[/img]

Amore? o.o

oh wait.. there should be a Cat there. ;D
[img]http://s9.postimg.org/mev5ow8zj/Ameri_Cat1.png[/img]

DesViper
DesViper's picture
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
CoH lacked any of the

CoH lacked any of the innovations I can't wait to see in CoT, e.g., how powersets are handled (origin of attack, malleability of sets), the versatility they boast in costumes (chiefly, placing logos anywhere), and vastly superior Mission, Base, and likely Personal Base creators. The SG base system was an EPIC FAIL for CoH, at the end it was just a really hard way to make an RP room, and the Devs wouldn't touch it. AE was a great start, but the size limitation and limitation of NPCs made it cumbersome.

In short, CoT, if all goes halfly as planned, will be many magnitudes the game CoH ever was.

I would only glance at CoH once CoT is out.

[hr]
[color=red]PR, Forum Moderator[/color]
[url=http://cityoftitans.com/forum/desvipers-creative-impulsivity]My Non-Canon Backstories[/url]

Minotaur
Minotaur's picture
desviper wrote:
desviper wrote:

CoH lacked any of the innovations I can't wait to see in CoT, e.g., how powersets are handled (origin of attack, malleability of sets), the versatility they boast in costumes (chiefly, placing logos anywhere), and vastly superior Mission, Base, and likely Personal Base creators. The SG base system was an EPIC FAIL for CoH, at the end it was just a really hard way to make an RP room, and the Devs wouldn't touch it. AE was a great start, but the size limitation and limitation of NPCs made it cumbersome.
In short, CoT, if all goes halfly as planned, will be many magnitudes the game CoH ever was.
I would only glance at CoH once CoT is out.

IIRC the devs COULDN'T touch the base code as it was so flaky it just exploded if they tried to do anything to it, so they left it as it was and hoped other updates didn't bring the house of cards crashing down.

Mind-Freeze
Mind-Freeze's picture
Haha izzy !!! I love it

Haha izzy !!! I love it

Darth Fez
Darth Fez's picture
WraithTDK wrote:
WraithTDK wrote:

But this leaves me to the big question:

To players: ff COH returns, will you still be moving in to Titan city?

Absolutely.

Quote:

To Devs: if COH returns, will you still be building Titan city?

As opposed to embezzling the money and calling it a day? Hmm, that's a tough one.

If zCoH uses the Freedom model - I do not see how they could not - I'll undoubtedly pop in for a spell. Especially if it happens prior to CoT going live. Once CoT goes live, I have my doubts about how much interest I will be able to generate for zCoH. If they go with subscriptions only, I'll pass.

Others have already pointed out that even the developers who built/worked with the engine and code base for CoH for nearly a decade had trouble with it. I find it highly unlikely that a new developer, who will have little to no experience with it, will be able to manage anything more than a maintenance mode. Perhaps they might be able to pull in I24, but I would frankly be amazed if anything more than that happens.

Besides, we know nothing about this developer other than that the studio exists. I would not be willing to put any money on them having more qualifications or experience to build or operate a MMO than does MWM.

- - - - -
[font=Pristina][size=18][b]Hail Beard![/b][/size][/font]

Support [url=http://cityoftitans.com/comment/52149#comment-52149]trap clowns[/url] for CoT!

jag40
If both are good I'd play

If both are good I'd play both, probably more so City of Titan if it's better and improvement over COH. If COH did comeback, it would pique my interest and I'd see. But COT is new journey and if it holds my attention more than likely it will become the main between the two. Unfortunately I dont have the sort of game time as I used to thus it which one I play boils down which one I find more enjoyment in. Hell might end up playing both equally depending. As unlike the past I will have even less time to wait around trying to form team for TFs, less time trying to gather enough team members to do tasks and probably wont have two hours trying to form team for the less popular TFs thus that might be factor more than it was in the past. MHO and reality on the subject and nothing more, nothing less.

Fire Away
Fire Away's picture
I guess this is heresy but it

I guess this is heresy but it's true nonetheless: I was about ready to walk away from COH after eight years anyway. To say much more is to speak ill of the dead and doesn't pay due respect to the game's many innovative and redeeming qualities. So, obviously, a zombie-fied version of what we had holds no interest to me.Time to look ahead though. If COT delivers even a portion of what I've seen so far I think people are going to be wowed with the result.

mrultimate
mrultimate's picture
I have high hopes for both.

I have high hopes for both. If CoH does come back before CoT I will be playing CoH. My understanding of the team pursuing purchasing CoH is that there are some former Paragon Studio members involved who or what their titles / duties were we do not know. I also understand that they would most likely pursue developing CoH2 if sucessfull.
I hope they succeed. I hope all the teams succeed. If they do we would all have a choice of which game suits us best.

syntaxerror37
syntaxerror37's picture
Would I abandon CoT? Of

Would I abandon CoT? Of course not. I'm invested both financially and emotionally in this upcoming game already. I also feel more connected to this community than I did in CoH and love being a part of it. If the CoH purchase gos through, will I play it? Yes, as soon as I can get my credit card out of my wallet. I miss the game dearly. I know it's old, and who knows if it would get any more updates, but I play plenty of old games anyway. More importantly, I wasn't done playing the game when it was shut down. At the very least it will give me something to play while I wait for CoT to launch (or at least get to the beta). That being said, I probably wouldn't maintain subscriptions to both games.

-----------------------------------------
I never set anything on fire accidentally!

The Titan Legacy - Defender of the Inner Flame

Catherine America
Catherine America's picture
Nothing but love for CoH, but

Nothing but love for CoH, but its degree of immersion never quite did it for me.
Yet, I also never really felt like I could decouple from CoH's "fantasy", so that I could enjoy my own.
(Note: These two statements together may only make sense to me lol)

Without getting too wordy, I get a strong sense, however, that in CoT (after a few releases), I won't have that problem.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/26pBVBG.png[/img]

([i]Currently developing the Sapphire 7 Initiative[/i])

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Gunterkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
So many unknowns to factor in

So many unknowns to factor in to give an accurate answer: Will CoH be a live game or just maintenance mode (zCoH)? How much will they charge and what will the payment model be? Will they be able to restore our characters, or will we have to start from scratch? In general, if it's available before CoT goes live I'm likely to play for at least a while, but from what I've heard so far CoT sounds like it's keeping all the core ideas I loved from CoH and improving upon them in myriad ways, making it the game I'd much rather play. Starting a whole new world means a host of new possibilities without being tied down by old chains. A rezzed CoH might end up just being something to tide me over while waiting.

On the other hand, a rezzed CoH (even zCoH) might also be my 'safety' game if CoT doesn't pan out the way I expect. Sure it's old and could be static, but at least it's a known quantity, where CoT still has so much up in the air. Everything I've heard so far makes me expect I will love CoT and want it to be the MMO I consider to be my "main," but there's still a chance that the final version might include some core design decision that completely turns me off. Say, for example, MWM changed their mind about combat and decided to make it an action-combat game. In that case, it would be nice to have something to fall back on to console me amongst the pieces of my crushed dreams. :-)

Spurn all ye kindle.

Radiac
Radiac's picture
I'm excitedly waiting for CoT

I'm excitedly waiting for CoT. If something else lands in the meantime that looks like ti might be fun, I might F2P it, but I probably wouldn't buy it, ESPECIALLY not if NCSoft were behind it at all. I really don't care about the storyline and lore of CoX that much, I just liked playing the game, when it was there to be played. It wouldn't be the same without my SG and the base we had, the other players from the Triumph server, and all the banked Inf and gear we/I had.. Frankly I feel like it would pale in comparison to the original if they rebooted CoX with a new creative team and a shoestring budget.

R.S.O. of Phoenix Rising

WraithTDK
WraithTDK's picture
FYI, this was posted to one

FYI, this was posted to one of the COH Facebook Groups:

UPDATE
The group is working on possibly signing a deal in the next few days. All of the good Karma you can muster point towards South Korea and let NCSoft be persuaded! They are in touch with the last guy who if he signs the game is purchased.

I don't know the exact details of what is in this deal but it is VERY close. It appears at this stage User Data may not be available - at least not at this time. More details as things unfold. It seems their data storage retrieval system is to equal that of the IRS. If this goes well the new Overlords will be up and running with further details.

Artillerie
I can see myself playing both

I can see myself playing both. I have missed CoH more than i would have expected but i am looking forward to CoT very much. Some of my favourite game experiences are with older games, perhaps because i feel that that the quality is uncluttered by attempting to compete with similar games. However i have a good amount of trust in the CoT crew to build an new but similar game that meshes with the expectations of previous CoH players.

SavageFist
SavageFist's picture
Artillerie wrote:
Artillerie wrote:

I can see myself playing both. I have missed CoH more than i would have expected but i am looking forward to CoT very much. Some of my favourite game experiences are with older games, perhaps because i feel that that the quality is uncluttered by attempting to compete with similar games. However i have a good amount of trust in the CoT crew to build an new but similar game that meshes with the expectations of previous CoH players.

syntaxerror37 wrote:

Would I abandon CoT? Of course not. I'm invested both financially and emotionally in this upcoming game already. I also feel more connected to this community than I did in CoH and love being a part of it. If the CoH purchase gos through, will I play it? Yes, as soon as I can get my credit card out of my wallet. I miss the game dearly. I know it's old, and who knows if it would get any more updates, but I play plenty of old games anyway. More importantly, I wasn't done playing the game when it was shut down. At the very least it will give me something to play while I wait for CoT to launch (or at least get to the beta). That being said, I probably wouldn't maintain subscriptions to both games.

This and this. I miss CoH everyday and there were so many combos I hadn't tried yet, not to mention I still had fun with characters that were near or fully 'done'. I also contributed to CoT and look forward to what can be done with a new engine and new but similar design scheme. Since I really can't play any other games for any sustained period, my time/funds will only be split between two MMOs. More entertainment for me and I look forward to seeing both games running with a healthy sub base and financial sheet.

fyi, check out the Titan forums for the whole story. From reading this thread I think people are getting a misconception this is just some random effort or NCSoft is somehow bringing back the game. Much like MWM, it is a bunch of people that cared about City of Heroes and also some former Paragon people(which have yet to be named) that are leading this revival. Also, if you read enough of the posts(sorry, there are well over 100 pages of comments) NCSoft would not take any offer serious unless the entity in question could fully support the game. So, from what I read, these people have gathered serious funds, formed an official studio and came up with a sufficient plan that NCSoft approves(at the moment) to make the proper offer.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9675.0.html

There is some speculation to bring back as is with the old code and immediately put it up running(hopefully with I24) to fund CoH2 or translate all the code to Unreal4, make money and work on CoH2 or translate to Unreal4 and just continue development with more ease than in the past so eventually it 'becomes' a CoH2. Again, this is all speculation but makes for entertaining reading/dreaming so please check out the thread if you have 10 or 12 hours to kill. ;)

[b][color=red]Reward tactics as well as damage dealing.[/color][/b]

Riptide
Riptide's picture
Right now, my level of

Right now, my level of excitement for CoT is stressing out my cardiologist. I will definitely be playing.

If CoH gets revived, even in maintenance mode, I'd happily play it until CoT goes into beta, at least.
I'd probably even poke my head back in from time to time after CoT is live, maybe do a regular Throw Back Thursday thing if I hook up with some friends there.

"I don't think you understand the gravity of your situation."

Lothic
Lothic's picture
If CoH gets revived I might

If CoH gets revived I might tinker around with it for a few minutes just for old-time's sake. But if there's pretty much no chance that the original character data would be restored then the likelihood that I'd ever seriously play it again is effectively nil.

After 8.5 years I had created several dozen alts in CoH, but I still pretty much primarily played with my original main two characters, both of which I had enjoyed playing for literally 1,000 of hours each earning 1,000s of badges between them. Basically if I can't play CoH again with those characters I'd have no real desire to play at all.

Even if it wasn't for the loss of my favorite characters there's still a very strong likelihood that this game would be an un-updateable zombie. As fun as it might be to see CoH restarted I again have no real desire to play a game that would likely have no new content/features.

Bottomline I figure CoH had a window of maybe 3 to 6 months after its shutdown to be rescued. Sadly after what would likely be almost two years of downtime it's simply not really worth saving at this point. I'll be waiting for CoT regardless of what happens to CoH.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012
[IMG=400x225]https://i.imgur.com/NHUthWM.jpeg[/IMG]

Zine
I played CoH mostly for the

I played CoH mostly for the community and friends I made there, which have since moved on. It will still likely be a while for any necro-CoH to start back up, so I will continue playing what I have been this past year while waiting/supporting City of Titans to the fullest. Besides, a lot of what I feel for CoH may be nostalgia that will be hammered into submission upon logging in again seeing the outdated engine compared to what I'm used to now.

So given those three points, I do not believe I will play necro-CoH aside from an hour out of curiosity.

Citadel
Citadel's picture
I have to agree that as a

I have to agree that as a HUGE fan of CoH and let's be honest it's the reason we're all here I'm excited at the prospect of them reviving it but unfortunately it's far too late in the day for it to be successful in my opinion....During the Kickstarter campaign it became evident that pretty much all those ex-CoH players jumped on the CoT bandwagon and with all the insights into the direction MWM will be taking CoT that's where my Super Powered MMO future lies now not to mention the updated software and missing features that CoH were limited in being able to incorporate due to its limitations! Bottom line I'm happy for CoH to live again but sadly I wont be one of those returning to Atlas any time soon....

~ If your going through hell...Keep going!!! #Winston Churchill

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
SavageFist wrote:
SavageFist wrote:

fyi, check out the Titan forums for the whole story. From reading this thread I think people are getting a misconception this is just some random effort or NCSoft is somehow bringing back the game. Much like MWM, it is a bunch of people that cared about City of Heroes and also some former Paragon people(which have yet to be named) that are leading this revival. Also, if you read enough of the posts(sorry, there are well over 100 pages of comments) NCSoft would not take any offer serious unless the entity in question could fully support the game. So, from what I read, these people have gathered serious funds, formed an official studio and came up with a sufficient plan that NCSoft approves(at the moment) to make the proper offer.

If you want to skip all the speculation and tangents, I recommend clicking Ironwolf's name in the first post, then Profile Info, then Show Posts. He seems to be the one with actual information.

Spurn all ye kindle.

SavageFist
SavageFist's picture
Cinnder wrote:
Cinnder wrote:

SavageFist wrote:

If you want to skip all the speculation and tangents, I recommend clicking Ironwolf's name in the first post, then Profile Info, then Show Posts. He seems to be the one with actual information.

lol, or you could do that. Good suggestion, Cinder. I didn't even consider that option. It will save some people many hours. ymmv

doctor tyche
doctor tyche's picture
WraithTDK wrote:
WraithTDK wrote:

UPDATE

Just do you are aware, he did backtrack this just a few hours later.

The whole situation is very fluid, lots of variables going on here. But we're not giving up on CoT for anything. Too damned stubborn I suppose.

No, not stubborn, determined. This is a lot bigger than CoT, or CoH. It's about what is right. Players make the game, in the end. Not the producer, not the coders, the players. A game without players is not a game at all. For anyone to ignore that, to just fold up and walk away, that's just wrong. But so long as there is no penalty to doing that, it will happen.

We are that penalty, us and groups like us. We go "Fine, you don't want us to play your game, we'll make our own."

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Hank
We deserve a next gen

We deserve a next gen superhero mmo. I'm sticking with Titan even if CoH comes back.

Mind-Freeze
Mind-Freeze's picture
Once bitten twice shy I think

Once bitten twice shy I think when COH died a little bit died in each one of us . After all the begging and pleasing from players to keep the game running only to be rejected and turn your back on them angered so many people that seeing city of titans made us realize that some heroes never give up and so many have your backs thank you guys again for putting titans into motion

Darth Fez
Darth Fez's picture
Cinnder wrote:
Cinnder wrote:

Provided you have an account for the CoHTitan forums.

Trust me, I tried.

- - - - -
[font=Pristina][size=18][b]Hail Beard![/b][/size][/font]

Support [url=http://cityoftitans.com/comment/52149#comment-52149]trap clowns[/url] for CoT!

jag40
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

WraithTDK wrote:
UPDATE

Just do you are aware, he did backtrack this just a few hours later.
The whole situation is very fluid, lots of variables going on here. But we're not giving up on CoT for anything. Too damned stubborn I suppose.
No, not stubborn, determined. This is a lot bigger than CoT, or CoH. It's about what is right. Players make the game, in the end. Not the producer, not the coders, the players. A game without players is not a game at all. For anyone to ignore that, to just fold up and walk away, that's just wrong. But so long as there is no penalty to doing that, it will happen.
We are that penalty, us and groups like us. We go "Fine, you don't want us to play your game, we'll make our own."

Indeed.

I have a feeling though, that this group wont fall into the same trap that many game made by gamers project fall into. They too forget about their players and end doing the same things that are no different than the corporate ran games they were against. They get the power and end up using said power in the same way. It starts off "we're one of you, a gamer." Then later, "We are the creators, producer, maker, coders of this game. Who are you? Just a player of games. You're a nobody." I guess power corrupts.

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

...we're not giving up on CoT for anything. Too damned stubborn I suppose.

Well said, Doc. It's that kind of thinking that gives me the kind of hope I have for CoT.

Darth Fez wrote:

Cinnder wrote:

Provided you have an account for the CoHTitan forums.
Trust me, I tried.

Oh, sorry Darth. I didn't realise it required that.

Spurn all ye kindle.

Consultant
kickstarter
If COH comes back I will play

If COH comes back I will play it until CoT goes to Beta.

Best of all would be if we had another kickstarter for CoT so that they could buy the IP, and then "restore" some of the storyline elements on the new engine, with all of the improvements.

Godling
Godling's picture
The first game. With fully

The first game. With fully customizable minions, With room for at least 100x data expansion in all categories. and portability to any engine, and mission creation will become the most popular game ever.

Between customiziable minions and creating your own missions. You can create any genre you want and fully immersed in it.

With the portability to any engine and data expansion you can guarantee its effective immortality.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/18.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
[URL=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-knhgv6lgbrs/UA_riCKAHNI/AAAAAAAATxE/u-sgh23bZhc/s640/wonder_women_by_penichet-d47up0l.jpg [/IMG][/URL]

RottenLuck
RottenLuck's picture
Using comic book terms.

Using comic book terms. Crisis on infinite Paragon happened, though paragon might come back it will forever be altered in a very direct way. No matter how good the Devs are that take over it... One more day happened and Spider... er Stateman will never be the same. In other words Statesman died, and thought he, and the world may get rebooted the event can never be reconned out of our minds.

-------------------------------------------
Personal rules of good roleplay
1.) Nothing goes as planned.
2.) If it goes as planned it's not good RP

Segev
Segev's picture
As Doctor Tyche said, we here

As Doctor Tyche said, we here at Missing Worlds Media, and all of you who've supported City of Titans, have come too far for us not to see it through. City if Titans will happen, and then its success is up to all of us together.

If CoH/V is bought by a new owner, I suspect a lot of how people react will depend on who is behind it and how they present it. I think our market has a large enough niche to support 2-3 more MMOs, if those MMOs have a solid business plan to operate within the scale. Even more if the MMOs with big plans for that niche are willing and able to advertise and grow the market. I trust the community that's been supporting us to give CoT its chance to wow them and keep their loyalty.

To reiterate: I know we, as developers, have come too far to stop developing CoT now. City of Titans will be built, and you will have your chance to decide if we've captured the spirit we seek to embody.

[color=#ff0000]Business Manager[/color]

WraithTDK
WraithTDK's picture
Segev wrote:
Segev wrote:

As Doctor Tyche said, we here at Missing Worlds Media, and all of you who've supported City of Titans, have come too far for us not to see it through. City if Titans will happen, and then its success is up to all of us together.
If CoH/V is bought by a new owner, I suspect a lot of how people react will depend on who is behind it and how they present it. I think our market has a large enough niche to support 2-3 more MMOs, if those MMOs have a solid business plan to operate within the scale. Even more if the MMOs with big plans for that niche are willing and able to advertise and grow the market. I trust the community that's been supporting us to give CoT its chance to wow them and keep their loyalty.
To reiterate: I know we, as developers, have come too far to stop developing CoT now. City of Titans will be built, and you will have your chance to decide if we've captured the spirit we seek to embody.

Happy to hear it. As I said; I thought I wanted COH back. I realize now I want to re-experience what I did with COH; and I'm not going to get the same feeling of watching a game and a community grow from infancy by going back to a old, faded, resurrected game, no matter how great it once was.

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Plus, it's starting to sound

Plus, it's starting to sound on the relevant thread in the Titan Forum that they will be looking only at maintenance mode for CoH and then focusing on developing CoH2. (Note I say 'sounds like' -- aware that this is still not confirmed.) If this is the case, it seems to me that MWM is already way ahead in the development process as well as having pretty well convinced me that they have a vision of a game that sounds like the one I want to play. Any CoH2 developer will have to start from scratch to sell me on their vision; the IP alone doesn't guarantee me a playing experience I'll enjoy.

Segev wrote:

City [b]if[/b] Titans will happen, and then its success is up to all of us together.

Heh, quite an ironic typo considering it was a sentence meant to allay any doubts. :-)

Spurn all ye kindle.

Cutter
I'll be here. The friends I

I'll be here. The friends I played CoH with left a few years before the end, and I had no SG ties remaining. Here I have a chance to be deliberate in making those ties well before the game drops, so I know I'll be part of a community from Day Zero.

syntaxerror37
syntaxerror37's picture
I have to wonder, if CoH did

I have to wonder, if CoH did manage to relaunch how many of the people here who say they would just check back for nostalgia's sake, would end up sucked right back in? At least until CoT's beta started up anyway.

Riptide
Riptide's picture
There isn't a whole lot out

There isn't a whole lot out there, right now, that has managed to hold my interest even a little bit.
It wasn't until CoH was completely gone that I started regretting not taking more screenies or videos, so I would probably play at least until CoT beta comes out unless it just feels too empty and hollow.

I went through this before with SWG. Though I left because of the mess that was the NGE, some people managed to put up a SWG legacy site which I tried and found it completely unsatisfying. I'm not sure if that's because I had already fallen in love with CoH and SWG no longer 'did it for me'.

"I don't think you understand the gravity of your situation."

SavageFist
SavageFist's picture
Rigel wrote:
Rigel wrote:

There isn't a whole lot out there, right now, that has managed to hold my interest even a little bit.
It wasn't until CoH was completely gone that I started regretting not taking more screenies or videos, so I would probably play at least until CoT beta comes out unless it just feels too empty and hollow.
I went through this before with SWG. Though I left because of the mess that was the NGE, some people managed to put up a SWG legacy site which I tried and found it completely unsatisfying. I'm not sure if that's because I had already fallen in love with CoH and SWG no longer 'did it for me'.

Ditto here. I've tried many MMOs and lately have been buying games from Steam daily sales but still nothing holds my interest such as even going back to Command and Conquer, a game I used to looove but even playing the relatively new version, C&C 3, it's just not working.

I also sadly regret not having many more screenshots or videos, some being lost when I took the occasional break from City of Heroes and uninstalled(blasphemy I know) then cleaned up the computer forgetting the folder where it was all held. Or migrating to a new computer and forgetting the screenshot folder or having a crash, I lost so many early screenshots. If it comes back, I will definitely be backing up on external hard drive or cloud storage this time around. Same for City of Titans once it is launched. I still don't have a great process for backing up memories but I'm getting better and there are more options now. I will forever regret not closing the CD(for those that remember you could do that) so it could be read by any computer for my college photos.

I usually back up My Documents, Pictures and Video folders now so it would be nice if City of Titans could give an option where to store screenshots instead of a new folder where the client was installed. At least I don't remember if you could tell CoH where to store screenshots. i.e. Make it easy through the UI and not some config file we need to modify. I realize for some that may be easy but that info may get easily lost in the ocean of eventual data will be inundated with in the game. Once in the UI, it can't be lost and is more easily found when someone starts to set up CoT for the first time, imo.

doctor tyche
doctor tyche's picture
SavageFist wrote:
SavageFist wrote:

Rigel wrote:

Ditto here. I've tried many MMOs and lately have been buying games from Steam daily sales but still nothing holds my interest such as even going back to Command and Conquer, a game I used to looove but even playing the relatively new version, C&C 3, it's just not working.
I also sadly regret not having many more screenshots or videos, some being lost when I took the occasional break from City of Heroes and uninstalled(blasphemy I know) then cleaned up the computer forgetting the folder where it was all held. Or migrating to a new computer and forgetting the screenshot folder or having a crash, I lost so many early screenshots. If it comes back, I will definitely be backing up on external hard drive or cloud storage this time around. Same for City of Titans once it is launched. I still don't have a great process for backing up memories but I'm getting better and there are more options now. I will forever regret not closing the CD(for those that remember you could do that) so it could be read by any computer for my college photos.
I usually back up My Documents, Pictures and Video folders now so it would be nice if City of Titans could give an option where to store screenshots instead of a new folder where the client was installed. At least I don't remember if you could tell CoH where to store screenshots. i.e. Make it easy through the UI and not some config file we need to modify. I realize for some that may be easy but that info may get easily lost in the ocean of eventual data will be inundated with in the game. Once in the UI, it can't be lost and is more easily found when someone starts to set up CoT for the first time, imo.

Our thought was to integrate screenshots/videos with your social media presence, actually. Or possibly with your systems cloud storage (dropbox, onedrive, google drive, etc)

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

SavageFist
SavageFist's picture
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

SavageFist wrote:
Rigel wrote:

Our thought was to integrate screenshots/videos with your social media presence, actually. Or possibly with your systems cloud storage (dropbox, onedrive, google drive, etc)

Nice, an option back up to cloud storage. Even better. :)

It's funny, keeping memories was such an afterthought while playing a game you loved. Only years later, even while CoH was still alive, did I regret not capturing more or being careful with the memories I did manage to record. It makes me glad we have more options today and confidence in this project that you were already thinking of adding such a feature.

Demrius
Demrius's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
If COH/V game back, here is

If COH/V game back, here is what I would do...I would log in ,make 3 of my characters I never got to really work with, take screen shots of them completed after getting them to about level 15 and use the pictures as forum pics..and still play until COT goes live.

--Formerly Jorortis--

Note: Jorortis is still a character of mine and is still going to be in the super group, not Demirus, at least not yet...

Izzy
Izzy's picture
hehe.. this made my chuckle

hehe.. this made my chuckle at 1st.. THEN, i remembered what NCSoft did to us. :/

[img]http://i.imgur.com/QC2vq8w.png[/img]

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
SavageFist wrote:
SavageFist wrote:

Doctor Tyche wrote:

Nice, an option back up to cloud storage. Even better. :)

As long as it's only an option, please, with another option being the ability to save to disk in the "old fashioned" way.

Spurn all ye kindle.

Minotaur
Minotaur's picture
Izzy wrote:
Izzy wrote:

hehe.. this made my chuckle at 1st.. THEN, i remembered what NCSoft did to us. :/

I prefer the doctored version of that cartoon with a blade & soul dog added, you can guess what that looked like.

Gangrel
11th Anniversary Badge
Ironically Lineage 2 is

Ironically Lineage 2 is "older" than City of Heroes. It was released in Korea October 1st 2003. Its NA release was also the same day as City of Heroes was released... April 27th 2004.

The Lineage 2 dog should be looking older ;)

Quote:

1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.

Silent Sillo
Silent Sillo's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
I have never played a game

I have never played a game where the creators asked me what I want in the game. It appears that is happening with COT. As much as everyone is putting into this development, it would be a shame for any party to abandon.
I was shocked to see how much of my imagination was in COH, as I advanced my toons. This time around with COT, my ideas will be included, along with my imagination. A few months back I saw spec art titled City Of Heroes, if the game looks anything like that picture, people will definitely be playing it. Though I feel COT is correcting many peavs I had with COH, I am curious to see how they plan to please former players. Or maybe they are going for a totally new crowd.
I have no problem playing both, I feel Titans is going to be more accurate with what true fans are looking for.

RAN Ink

Omegawatt
Omegawatt's picture
kickstarter
CoX was the first, and only,

CoX was the first, and only, video game to hold my interest longer than a week, so if it comes back, I will hit the streets of Paragon City and the Rogue Isles once more.

That said, I will not abandon CoT. I will probably play both for a while to see which I like better and then I will pick one. I appreciate everything the Devs of CoT are doing (and I sank a lot of cash into the Kickstarter to show it), but if I don't like the game, I probably won't play it much or for very long; and that will be the case whether or not CoX returned.

However, if CoX returns, I will wave goodbye to Millenium City forever.

WarBird
WarBird's picture
CoH/V gave me the tools and

CoH/V gave me the tools and the inspiration to bring large parts of my imagination to life. No other MMO came close to giving me, nay, encouraging in me that kind of freedom. From participating in these forums I've gotten the distinct feeling that this was true for many people. Knowing that the developers of CoT are building the game from scratch with that experience in mind is what has raised excitement for me enough to contribute to the KS. And why I will wait with excruciating anticipation for it to be fully realized.

If CoH is resuscitated in its old form, I will probably spend some time rebuilding old characters and taking LOADS of screenshots while I wait for CoT. *IF* CoH2 is born with a new heart and mind, well... I'll likely play both. For a while. Whoever comes closest to giving me that feeling I got with the original CoH, THEY will have me as a lifelong player.

Gorgon
Gorgon's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
CoH surpassed EverQuest as my

CoH surpassed EverQuest as my major MMORPG. I had maybe 4 years on EQ and 6+ on CoH. Others were 2.5 on Galaxies and about 2 on WoW (which got boring and my "main" gained most levels on PvP). 2 on DDO.

Everything else less than a year. 9 months on Tera. 8 on UO and Champions, 6 months on Eve. 2 on DAOC, 1 or less on half a dozen others (Horizons, Vanguard, Dark something, EQ2), bailed on Star Wars: The Old Republic before the free month was up..and SWG anf the two KotoRs are among my fav games of all time. This was a WoW reskin right down to the tripartite skill trees and the overpriced , slow "horses" AKA speeders that were nothing of the sort.

[IMG]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/Gnurl/a72b7fba-8da2-4ac8-8e18-0f8453f7d3ee_zpscc5b27b5.jpg[/IMG]

The very existence of the taunting tank irritates, for it requires idiotic AI that obeys the taunt.

Izzy
Izzy's picture
Gorgon wrote:
Gorgon wrote:

... the two KotoRs are among my fav games of all time. ...

and you can play in on a [url=http://youtu.be/hEoUEGdCTLU?t=2m12s]Banana iPhone[/url] now as well. ;D

Sugoi
Sugoi's picture
kickstarter
If CoH/V should be revived, I

If CoH/V should be revived, I'd be playing it as quickly as I could log in to it. I spent a lot of time testing so many variations of Powerset mixes that it wouldn't bother me to start again from scratch if it came to that.

That having been said, I also believe in CoT's forward-looking treatment of the game's subject matter, and plan on supporting this game as well.

How many people here play only one MMO (or any type of game) at a time anyhow? While waiting for CoT, I'm currently involved with quite a few MMOs a large of amount of Strategy games and a few flight sims as well. Where does it say I have to be loyal to just one Super-Hero/Villain game?

Waiting anxiously for CoT to go online, and hoping for the re-activation of CoH/V as well.

Nyghtshade
Nyghtshade's picture
If CoH/V is brought back, I

If CoH/V is brought back, I would return to it in a heartbeat. It was my first MMO home, and I spent 8 very happy years playing the game and reveling in the community. I know a lot of other expatriate CoH players are saying the same. I've missed it tremendously.

However, I would also continue looking forward to the release of CoT, and when that happens... I would play them BOTH. And subscribe to both. Because, you know, it's not an either / or proposition. It's not like saying: You should either like Vanilla Ice Cream OR Chocolate ice Cream.

I backed CoT with the Kickstarter campaign, because I had faith in the group working on it. I've followed the updates, and the forums here. I'm excited at what's being designed, the lore that's being written, the ambitions and the hopes of this game, by the players, for the players.

I am hopeful about being able to play both games one day. And I like Vanilla AND Chocolate ice cream, just for the record. :-)

notears
notears's picture
It depends on whether or not

It depends on whether or not it would be released under NCsoft or not. I don't really trust them that much after what they did.

not my video just one I lke ===> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6-SdIN0hsM

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

syntaxerror37
syntaxerror37's picture
notears wrote:
notears wrote:

It depends on whether or not it would be released under NCsoft or not. I don't really trust them that much after what they did.

The whole thing going on right now is to buy the game from NCsoft.

doctor tyche
doctor tyche's picture
syntaxerror37 wrote:
syntaxerror37 wrote:

notears wrote:

That may not mean it would be out from under them. Guild Wars is owned by ArenaNet, Wildstar is owned by Carbine, but both games are under NCSoft's umbrella.

Technical Director

5 OClock Shadow
5 OClock Shadow's picture
11th Anniversary Badge
I'm not sure I would go back

I'm not sure I would go back to CoX. Especially if my characters aren't there anymore. If they some how are able to retrieve the data and restore our characters, then I would most likely hop on, and do a lot of sightseeing and crush mobs. But I'm anticipating the fine tuning CoT is offering far too much. I'd like to see my characters under a new light with extensive flexibility. Also, it depends if CoX comes back when CoT goes into beta. CoX would be amazing for referencing my old characters' costumes, but I definitely wouldn't immerse myself in it like I would CoT.

5 OClock Shadow
"The Five", "Old Scruff", "Wolfbrand", "Tashomono"
Your shaving days are numbered...

SavageFist
SavageFist's picture
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

syntaxerror37 wrote:
notears wrote:

That may not mean it would be out from under them. Guild Wars is owned by ArenaNet, Wildstar is owned by Carbine, but both games are under NCSoft's umbrella.

One of the comments from IronWolf and part of the deal was that NCSoft be able to keep their name on the game such as still seeing the Cryptic logo even after they sold the game. I get the gist they would not be involved beyond that...at least I hope so once it is a done deal. It is a fun game to delve into IronWolf's posts and try to interpret his meanings despite his efforts to make them clear and concise.

And something that has NOT been mentioned in that thread was the ability to keep the game going in some form if the financials can no longer provide official support. I hope as we get closer to launch date, MWM will further clarify what that aspect will mean for City of Titans.

And yes, I know we are not there yet:
Step 1 Get the game
Step 2 then worry about everything else.

Sunshrike
Sunshrike's picture
I don't think I'd be able to

I don't think I'd be able to resist the chance to play CoH again, especially if it's relatively soon, but there's no question that I'd still be jumping in on City of Titans at the first opportunity. And, if CoT lives up to even half its promise, it seems likely that the kind of reanimated CoH we're talking about would settle into the background for me.

(Robin) Christina Lea
http://www.amazon.com/author/christinalea

doctor tyche
doctor tyche's picture
SavageFist wrote:
SavageFist wrote:

Doctor Tyche wrote:
syntaxerror37 wrote:
notears wrote:

One of the comments from IronWolf and part of the deal was that NCSoft be able to keep their name on the game such as still seeing the Cryptic logo even after they sold the game. I get the gist they would not be involved beyond that...at least I hope so once it is a done deal. It is a fun game to delve into IronWolf's posts and try to interpret his meanings despite his efforts to make them clear and concise.
And something that has NOT been mentioned in that thread was the ability to keep the game going in some form if the financials can no longer provide official support. I hope as we get closer to launch date, MWM will further clarify what that aspect will mean for City of Titans.
And yes, I know we are not there yet:
Step 1 Get the game
Step 2 then worry about everything else.

That may be the gist, but I also know that it maybe possible that they are trying to downplay any association as well. After all, if it were MWM in negotiations with NCSoft, we'd be downplaying it as well. And yes, an arrangement like ArenaNet (where AN controls everything and NCSoft is little more than a silent partner) is quite possible and still fitting in with what has been presented.

As for our own plans, it is quite simple, and I know we've shared it before.

Unreal Engine by default enables you to run your client as a small server, for a single map. A large number of Unreal games remove this feature. We are not. Anything you do on your own server is private, does not reflect in the main world, but should we shut-down, it would not be difficult for people to collectively organize such servers and continue running without us. We actually expect such a "shadow server" to pop up regardless even while we are running.

Technical Director

Mind-Freeze
Mind-Freeze's picture
I personally would not return

I personally would not return to COH it would be like a spouse cheating on you then saying please take me back.

Mind-Freeze
Mind-Freeze's picture
Just think of all the hours

Just think of all the hours you spent leveling and io ing out all your hard work and the long years you put into raids missions and task forces and countless hours your significant other was screaming in your ear that you love that game more than me and then the game to just shut down even after the pleading and money offers that were made to save the game. Just left so many angry I wish them all the luck but can you imagine if they did that to a game like WOW who has at least 7 million subscribers who spent money on subscriptions and all the extra value packs .

JBYiro
kickstarter
Mind-Freeze wrote:
Mind-Freeze wrote:

I personally would not return to COH it would be like a spouse cheating on you then saying please take me back.

Maybe more like a changeling has taken your spouse's place during a separation and you are the only one who notices?

doctor tyche
doctor tyche's picture
And the only reason you

And the only reason you notice is because you look like Roddy Piper and have special sunglasses!

Technical Director

JBYiro
kickstarter
I was thinking The Return of

I was thinking [i]The Return of Martin Guerre[/i], but yeah, Roddy Piper and the damn sunglasses are probably a better analogy considering all the fanboy fighting that's going to happen.

SavageFist
SavageFist's picture
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

That may be the gist, but I also know that it maybe possible that they are trying to downplay any association as well. After all, if it were MWM in negotiations with NCSoft, we'd be downplaying it as well. And yes, an arrangement like ArenaNet (where AN controls everything and NCSoft is little more than a silent partner) is quite possible and still fitting in with what has been presented.

As for our own plans, it is quite simple, and I know we've shared it before.

Unreal Engine by default enables you to run your client as a small server, for a single map. A large number of Unreal games remove this feature. We are not. Anything you do on your own server is private, does not reflect in the main world, but should we shut-down, it would not be difficult for people to collectively organize such servers and continue running without us. We actually expect such a "shadow server" to pop up regardless even while we are running..

LOL, you read my mind. I was thinking MWM as the possible studio mentioned in the thread. IronWolf had mentioned it was newly formed, coupled with a satisfactory business plan that meets NCSoft's wishes made me think about you guys. The only thought was whether you had the funds which even in its current state of 'doable' per IronWolf again, my thought is still in the millions. Supposedly our blusterous American nature was detrimental to the first buyout effort along with how we lack understanding of "saving face" in their culture so your comment on downplaying NCSoft's role makes sense. I hope it goes no further than "properly support the game so our name is not tarnished", though.

I thought that option would be after the game closed down not while it was running. You guys take your promises seriously. I love it.

edit: Wait a minute, formed a corporation, have a solid business plan, had a successful Kickstarter...that sounds like a recipe for a good bank loan or investors. For all I know you guys are planning to revive Jack's rumored City of Shadows idea from way back when. [b]I've got my eye on you[/b] and will be reading things that don't exist between the lines of your posts from now on. ;)

Mind-Freeze
Mind-Freeze's picture
:-)

:-)

Risha
Risha's picture
Doesn't look like my previous

Doesn't look like my previous comment posted, so if I double post, please excuse. I subscribed absolutely the most I could during the kickstarter, and consider that a substantial chunk of money. I like where COT is going when I read the updates. That said, I love CoX, I love it in maintenance mode, I would love COH2.

I plan on playing both or all 3.

Fantasy Writer, Dancing at the End of the World

notears
notears's picture
I think I'll stick with CoT.

I think I'll stick with CoT. For one thing the people who are making it are also the ones who own it, meaning that their not going to kill it off just because there is something shinier being presented to them. They want to advertise this rather than just let it sit around and have the community advertise it for them and let it have a software program that they can actually use rather than what CoX got. Second the CoT system let's me do more with it.

not my video just one I lke ===> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6-SdIN0hsM

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

WraithTDK
WraithTDK's picture
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

And the only reason you notice is because you look like Roddy Piper and have special sunglasses!

Chew bubble gum. Kick ass.

Foradain
Foradain's picture
WraithTDK wrote:
WraithTDK wrote:

Doctor Tyche wrote:

Chew bubble gum. Kick ass.

And we're alllll outa bubblegum.

I'll likely continue occasionally playing CO after CoT launches, so I'll likely continue beating up Reckless Roger Piker for his sunglasses.

If there is a rezzed or reanimated CoX, I might give it a try. ^_^

Foradain, Mage of Phoenix Rising.
[url=https://cityoftitans.com/forum/foradains-character-conclave]Foradain's Character Conclave[/url]
Avatar courtesy of [s]Satellite9[/s] [url=https://www.instagram.com/irezoomie/]Irezoomie[/url]

BraveStar
kickstarter
I'm pretty certain we'd both

I'm pretty certain we'd both return to CoH as well as playing CoT when it comes out. Very cool to hear about the ability to run private servers too.

Winter
Winter's picture
Cinnder wrote:
Cinnder wrote:

So many unknowns to factor in to give an accurate answer: Will CoH be a live game or just maintenance mode (zCoH)? How much will they charge and what will the payment model be? Will they be able to restore our characters, or will we have to start from scratch? In general, if it's available before CoT goes live I'm likely to play for at least a while, but from what I've heard so far CoT sounds like it's keeping all the core ideas I loved from CoH and improving upon them in myriad ways, making it the game I'd much rather play. Starting a whole new world means a host of new possibilities without being tied down by old chains. A rezzed CoH might end up just being something to tide me over while waiting.
On the other hand, a rezzed CoH (even zCoH) might also be my 'safety' game if CoT doesn't pan out the way I expect. Sure it's old and could be static, but at least it's a known quantity, where CoT still has so much up in the air. Everything I've heard so far makes me expect I will love CoT and want it to be the MMO I consider to be my "main," but there's still a chance that the final version might include some core design decision that completely turns me off. Say, for example, MWM changed their mind about combat and decided to make it an action-combat game. In that case, it would be nice to have something to fall back on to console me amongst the pieces of my crushed dreams. :-)

Cinnder captured my thoughts perfectly. I really have nothing else to say, haha.

[hr]
[center]
[size=15][b][i]A cold front is heading toward Titan City[/i][/b][/size]
Ice Man of [url=http://cityoftitans.com/forum/phoenix-rising-initiative-0]The Phoenix Rising Initiative[/url]
[/center]

Firebourne
Firebourne's picture
I'll definitely play CoH

I'll definitely play CoH again. Started there in June 2004. Still so much I want to do/do again there. Some of the comments on the other forum though, similar to "I'll play again if I can have everything I had at shutdown. If not, I doubt it."
Maybe I don't understand because I didn't have five servers full of Level 50's. Everyone should just be happy the game might be coming back.

Zeliop
11th Anniversary Badge
Well, will we stick with COT

Well, will we stick with COT ?
My Guess is,if you are on this forum.... HECK YA, You will be!

BOOHYA.

Z

AmbiDreamer
Firebourne wrote:
Firebourne wrote:

Maybe I don't understand because I didn't have five servers full of Level 50's. Everyone should just be happy the game might be coming back.

Happy that it's back does not equate to willing to put time and (possibly) money into starting anew.

I had four level fifties.. and I worked damned hard to get them. Oh.. and I put a hundred bucks about 2 weeks before it closed. So if everything I earned playing the game over most of it's 9 years is gone.. is the game *really* back for me?

(Slight edit to clarify some point)

Longtime City of Heroes player, longtime writer. :) Working in Nebraska.
COT: Mission tips writer, studying Cinema 4D animation program

Mind-Freeze
Mind-Freeze's picture
+1 what AmbiDreamer has

+1 what AmbiDreamer has stated.

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Yeah, seeing my old

Yeah, seeing my old characters again is a big plus in the rezzed CoH column for me. If getting them back doesn't happen and I have to start over from scratch, that puts CoH on an equal footing in that area with CoT, Given that I expect CoT to exceed CoH in many areas, failing to fulfil its potential in a rare area like this where it would hold an advantage over CoT pushes it one step closer to just something to help me bide my time till CoT.

Spurn all ye kindle.

Lord Nightmare
Lord Nightmare's picture
Only 4 50s? Lightweights...

Only 4 50s? Lightweights...

You weren't a true CoX player until you had 10+ ;)

[B]Revenge is motivation enough. At least it's honest...[/B]

Roleplayer; Esteemed Villain
[img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg[/img]

Pages