So, just how big could I be?

124 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 50 min ago
Gunterkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/26/2013 - 16:24
The problem I see with very

The problem I see with very large characters is building interiors. We don't want a 6-foot hero to look like a child when s/he walks into a room because the ceilings and doors are so high. Yet you don't want max-size characters' heads to stick through the ceiling. Seems to me interior maps will be the deciding factor.

Spurn all ye kindle.

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
There's numerous problems

There's numerous problems with having characters growing huge. Inside maps and having characters blocking sight for other characters and sticking through everything is but two of those problems.

There's also the fact that the bigger you get the slower you look like you move, which then would need either an animation change when huge or some kind of speed buff which would step on super speeder's toes. Like in Champions it looked like your guy was running on a treadmill and barely going anywhere.

And as for my thoughts on 12feet? That's great for the character creator limit (max height + max limb and body size/height) but for a character with growth powers it's pretty weak.

Be like if max super strength was not even being able to lift a car over their head.

Tallest person IRL was close to 9 feet tall. Super heroes should be able to grow much bigger than that.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

OathboundOne
Online
Last seen: 13 min 55 sec ago
Joined: 03/06/2016 - 16:15
One of the devs made a

One of the devs made a comment in another thread (which has escaped my memory atm) about their minimum ceiling height being 12ft, specifically mentioning that it allowed an 8ft character to hover 4ft above the ground w/o clipping into the ceiling. This implies to me that 8ft will be the max character height... so about the same as CoH had.

Dark Cleric
Dark Cleric's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 51 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2018 - 12:26
OathboundOne wrote:
OathboundOne wrote:

One of the devs made a comment in another thread (which has escaped my memory atm) about their minimum ceiling height being 12ft, specifically mentioning that it allowed an 8ft character to hover 4ft above the ground w/o clipping into the ceiling. This implies to me that 8ft will be the max character height... so about the same as CoH had.

IMO this is sufficient for the scope and feasibility of this game.

Compulsively clicking the refresh button until the next update.

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 50 min ago
Gunterkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/26/2013 - 16:24
Seems reasonable to me as

Seems reasonable to me as well.

Spurn all ye kindle.

Sakura Tenshi
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 day ago
kickstarter
Joined: 08/04/2014 - 18:09
Honestly, I really would have

Honestly, I really would have loved at least two to four more feet.

But, I guess you just can't fight some things.

There is a song I hear, a melody from the past.
When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
You are the one, the hero who will stand.
Do not blame father, he is only a man.

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
Then the question becomes is

Then the question becomes is 8ft the actual limit? Or is that the limit to which you can just set your height to?

If I made a character at max height and then stretched out it's body as much as I could would they still be 8ft?

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Sakura Tenshi wrote:
Sakura Tenshi wrote:

Honestly, I really would have loved at least two to four more feet.

But, I guess you just can't fight some things.

I don't think it's a matter of what the Devs would want to give us. For instance I'm sure if it were easy they'd have no problem letting us have 20 or 30 foot tall characters.

But once you start letting characters be much taller than say 8 or 10 feet in a game like this the problems start to multiply in terms of implementing them. Several earlier posters pointed out:

Cinnder wrote:

Seems to me interior maps will be the deciding factor.

Project_Hero wrote:

There's numerous problems with having characters growing huge. Inside maps and having characters blocking sight for other characters and sticking through everything is but two of those problems.

There's also the fact that the bigger you get the slower you look like you move, which then would need either an animation change when huge or some kind of speed buff which would step on super speeder's toes. Like in Champions it looked like your guy was running on a treadmill and barely going anywhere.

The biggest problem with allowing super-tall characters into a game like this is not the technical ability to render a big body but the ability for that big body to interact correctly with its surroundings.

For example if the game allowed for say 15ft tall characters then it would have to provide the proper animations for "crouching" inside buildings or squeezing through normal-sized doorways. It's that "extra" work needed to make them feasible that will likely keep the absolute height relatively short in CoT just for purely practical reasons if nothing else.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Dark Cleric
Dark Cleric's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 51 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2018 - 12:26
This might be an easy fix but

This might be an easy fix but a smaller problem would be interacting with NPC's. In some games that I have played, if you are flying and your 'contact' is super tall, floating, or something similar, the 'interaction' part of the NPC is only accessible below a certain point because it was designed for players on the ground. So it would matter where the 'points' are on each PC/NPC that determine distance to the other PC/NPC's 'point' to see if you are close enough to interact. If you are 20ft tall and the NPC is 6ft tall and doesn't move, you might not be able to 'get close enough' to interact.

Again, this could probably be an easy fix, idk I'm not a developer.

Compulsively clicking the refresh button until the next update.

Sakura Tenshi
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 day ago
kickstarter
Joined: 08/04/2014 - 18:09
Lothic wrote:
Lothic wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of what the Devs would want to give us. For instance I'm sure if it were easy they'd have no problem letting us have 20 or 30 foot tall characters.

But once you start letting characters be much taller than say 8 or 10 feet in a game like this the problems start to multiply in terms of implementing them. Several earlier posters pointed out:

hat's sort of what I meant byu 'you can't fight some things' there's just too many things that limit it massive characters much as we'd love to have them.

There is a song I hear, a melody from the past.
When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
You are the one, the hero who will stand.
Do not blame father, he is only a man.

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
Sakura Tenshi wrote:
Sakura Tenshi wrote:

Hey, I just noticed your signature is lyrics from a Megas song!

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
Oh well, KI agree, you cant

Oh well, I agree, you cant fight some things.

However Hulk would slightly exceed the 8ft limit.

Pets height ceiling? There were pretty big in DP. @3:26

Granted DP was built with Dragons in mind, hence the areas are not really enclosed above.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
In CO, you could big as big

In CO you could big as big as you want, but others just can't see it and the device works in combat.They just added these to the test server this week. Great idea actually.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Riptide
Riptide's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 49 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 07:01
Phararri wrote:
Phararri wrote:

In CO you could big as big as you want, but others just can't see it and the device works in combat.They just added these to the test server this week. Great idea actually.

For some reason this reminds me of a Yorkie I had that thought he was a Doberman!

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Riptide wrote:
Riptide wrote:
Phararri wrote:

In CO you could big as big as you want, but others just can't see it and the device works in combat.They just added these to the test server this week. Great idea actually.

For some reason this reminds me of a Yorkie I had that thought he was a Doberman!

I love how many dogs seem to have no concept of their size compared to other animals. We once had a teacup poodle who was normally very sweet and cute. This critter barely weighed maybe 5 pounds fully grown. But there were countless times when this little terror would bark and charge at other dogs that were easily 10-15x her size without a hint of fear or regret. She was only lucky that some of those other dogs didn't just step on her like a bug. ;)

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Amanita
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 day ago
kickstarter
Joined: 10/21/2013 - 23:30
Since most of my characters

Since most of my characters were living skyscrapers, I tended to max out the height slider as much as possible, unless the character was also a child. I used to get a laugh seeing my 8 foot tall Skyscraper-woman standing next to Mynx or whatever she was called, one of the NPCs who hung out in Skyway City. That poor cat-girl's head barely reached my Skyscraper's belt buckle!

I have one request here- Can we make our male and female characters the same height? It always used to bug me in CoH that my female characters were always a few inches shorter. Since a lot of players are going to be making non human characters, we shouldn't limit ourselves to human dimorphism, where the female characters are always smaller.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Amanita wrote:
Amanita wrote:

I have one request here- Can we make our male and female characters the same height? It always used to bug me in CoH that my female characters were always a few inches shorter. Since a lot of players are going to be making non human characters, we shouldn't limit ourselves to human dimorphism, where the female characters are always smaller.

Frankly I'd be shocked and amazed if they didn't let both males and females enjoy the same min/max height settings in this game. Like you say there's no reason (in a superhero setting) why gender should have any bearing on character height.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Amanita
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 day ago
kickstarter
Joined: 10/21/2013 - 23:30
^Damn right :) During my time

^Damn right :) During my time in CoH I saw so many non human characters, why should we be limited to human height difference? Somehow I don't think that aliens, robots, or others are going to conform to human sexual dimorphism. Hell, even my skyscrapers don't. I hope I can give my women some decent muscle mass, something I couldn't do too well in CoH.

Mask-of-Many
Mask-of-Many's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 04/16/2018 - 07:49
Heck, in real life, the

Heck, in real life, the height difference between genders isn't that great depending on individual genetics (see: Sweden) and because trans people exist. Also aliens, robots, etc. have to be taken account for a superhero setting.
I'm good with an 8-foot height maximum for player characters, though a non-combat outdoors-only cosmetic device to become huge would be nice at some point.

Master of the forbidden art of thread necromancy!

Kestrel: Street-level crimefighter with anger issues. Approach with caution.
Zero Break: Friendly neighbourhood cyberpunk. Recon specialist with an eye for trouble.

Seschat
Seschat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 11/18/2018 - 09:08
Note that in CO, Giant Size

Note that in CO, Giant Size is inexorably linked to massive lag and server performance issues, so much so that the trend is now to try to only have it display client-side. (ie: no one else knows you're 25' tall).

Now, the CO code is such a disastrous pile of rancid spaghetti that we can hope the Unreal engine does not suffer these limitations. I forget, are we running with the "characters cannot occupy each other's hit-box" model, or "all PCs can phase on top of one another"? If the former, giant people become more of an issue in large group battles, especially in melee. In both cases, they are annoying when your camera gets stuck in one.

Giant PC question #2: what is the max camera distance? Can this be adjusted in settings/through the console?

Native of Triumph - Victory - Protector - Gladden - Dwarrowdelf - Tribble
Broad spectrum geek and Shadowy Advisor
Yes, my art gallery is almost entirely screen captures. Tough.

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 50 min ago
Gunterkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/26/2013 - 16:24
Seschat wrote:
Seschat wrote:

Giant PC question #2: what is the max camera distance? Can this be adjusted in settings/through the console?

I don't know, but I hope it's more accessible than that -- preferably an assignable command with default of mouse wheel, as in the old game. Sometimes I need to zoom out during combat.

Spurn all ye kindle.

Empyrean
Empyrean's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 54 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/16/2014 - 07:51
Cinnder wrote:
Cinnder wrote:

I don't know, but I hope it's more accessible than that -- preferably an assignable command with default of mouse wheel, as in the old game. Sometimes I need to zoom out during combat.

Agreed.

FIGHT EVIL! (or go cause trouble so the Heroes have something to do.)

blacke4dawn
blacke4dawn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 03/28/2015 - 03:02
Cinnder wrote:
Cinnder wrote:
Seschat wrote:

Giant PC question #2: what is the max camera distance? Can this be adjusted in settings/through the console?

I don't know, but I hope it's more accessible than that -- preferably an assignable command with default of mouse wheel, as in the old game. Sometimes I need to zoom out during combat.

If they follow standard MMO controls then it will be so.

What I though that question was more about was the max zoom out distance.

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 50 min ago
Gunterkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/26/2013 - 16:24
blacke4dawn wrote:
blacke4dawn wrote:
Cinnder wrote:
Seschat wrote:

Giant PC question #2: what is the max camera distance? Can this be adjusted in settings/through the console?

I don't know, but I hope it's more accessible than that -- preferably an assignable command with default of mouse wheel, as in the old game. Sometimes I need to zoom out during combat.

If they follow standard MMO controls then it will be so.

What I though that question was more about was the max zoom out distance.

Ohhhhh, I see now that you are right. And I can see how the max limit might be a setting or console command. My bad!

Spurn all ye kindle.

Seschat
Seschat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 11/18/2018 - 09:08
blacke4dawn wrote:
blacke4dawn wrote:
Cinnder wrote:
Seschat wrote:

Giant PC question #2: what is the max camera distance? Can this be adjusted in settings/through the console?

I don't know, but I hope it's more accessible than that -- preferably an assignable command with default of mouse wheel, as in the old game. Sometimes I need to zoom out during combat.

If they follow standard MMO controls then it will be so.

What I though that question was more about was the max zoom out distance.

Exactly. In CO, MaxCamDist defaults to 30 units (which may be feet). This is fine when soloing a bunch of goons. You can scroll out to about 50. In settings you can push the slider to around 100. This is almost enough for use in giant monster battles as a melee type: the issue being that you need to see major attack tells, which are icons hovering over the monster's head. Most end game tanks prefer 150, which can be done in console, which is a descendant of the CoH console command set. (but sometimes takes a couple tries)

Native of Triumph - Victory - Protector - Gladden - Dwarrowdelf - Tribble
Broad spectrum geek and Shadowy Advisor
Yes, my art gallery is almost entirely screen captures. Tough.

desviper
desviper's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 sec ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
Anyone keeping track of the

Anyone keeping track of the most Necro'd thread, because 2015 to 2018 is a huge jump :p

And I don't see a rednamed answer either :/ I vote the limit be 10', because base 10 rollovers are so nice :)

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

Please have Scaling decals!

Avatar by MikeNovember

Foradain
Foradain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 52 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/25/2013 - 21:06
desviper wrote:
desviper wrote:

Anyone keeping track of the most Necro'd thread, because 2015 to 2018 is a huge jump :p

And I don't see a rednamed answer either :/ I vote the limit be 10', because base 10 rollovers are so nice :)

January 20, 2016 to January 8, 2018 is less than two years. Might be a local record, but I doubt it ^_^.

And I vote for 3m. Because metric.

Foradain, Mage of Phoenix Rising.
Foradain's Character Conclave
Avatar courtesy of Satellite Nine.
If you can't see an image I've posted, please let me know!

Kuraikari
Kuraikari's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 11/28/2018 - 12:59
Foradain wrote:
Foradain wrote:
desviper wrote:

Anyone keeping track of the most Necro'd thread, because 2015 to 2018 is a huge jump :p

And I don't see a rednamed answer either :/ I vote the limit be 10', because base 10 rollovers are so nice :)

January 20, 2016 to January 8, 2018 is less than two years. Might be a local record, but I doubt it ^_^.

And I vote for 3m. Because metric.

What about 0Am? It is hexadecimal and metric.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

01000101 01010010 01010010 01001111 01010010 00111010 00100000 00110100 00110000 00110100 00001101 00001010 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110101 01101110 01100100 00100001

Sky Kirasagi
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 11/16/2018 - 06:47
One thing to consider is that

One thing to consider is that in a PVP situation(not even sure the devs have mentioned anything about PVP previously, so if there will be no PVP, disregard), small size does confer a very slight advantage, as your character will be slightly harder to notice, which might be one balance reason to consider keeping the allowable height range reined in just a bit.

Foradain
Foradain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 52 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/25/2013 - 21:06
Kuraikari wrote:
Kuraikari wrote:
Foradain wrote:
desviper wrote:

Anyone keeping track of the most Necro'd thread, because 2015 to 2018 is a huge jump :p

And I don't see a rednamed answer either :/ I vote the limit be 10', because base 10 rollovers are so nice :)

January 20, 2016 to January 8, 2018 is less than two years. Might be a local record, but I doubt it ^_^.

And I vote for 3m. Because metric.

What about 0Am? It is hexadecimal and metric.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

3m is also hexadecimal (for 3m in decimal). But 0Am converted from hexadecimal to decimal would be 10m, which is about 33 feet. While I would not mind being able to make and play characters who are that tall, I think coding the game for them would cause problems. Even 3m may be too big.

Foradain, Mage of Phoenix Rising.
Foradain's Character Conclave
Avatar courtesy of Satellite Nine.
If you can't see an image I've posted, please let me know!

Kuraikari
Kuraikari's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 11/28/2018 - 12:59
Foradain wrote:
Foradain wrote:
Kuraikari wrote:
Foradain wrote:
desviper wrote:

Anyone keeping track of the most Necro'd thread, because 2015 to 2018 is a huge jump :p

And I don't see a rednamed answer either :/ I vote the limit be 10', because base 10 rollovers are so nice :)

January 20, 2016 to January 8, 2018 is less than two years. Might be a local record, but I doubt it ^_^.

And I vote for 3m. Because metric.

What about 0Am? It is hexadecimal and metric.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

3m is also hexadecimal (for 3m in decimal). But 0Am converted from hexadecimal to decimal would be 10m, which is about 33 feet. While I would not mind being able to make and play characters who are that tall, I think coding the game for them would cause problems. Even 3m may be too big.

Yeah, sadly. I love Giganta from the DC universe. She's cool. I'd love to be able to play someone huge. (Even though she can be normal size)

01000101 01010010 01010010 01001111 01010010 00111010 00100000 00110100 00110000 00110100 00001101 00001010 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110101 01101110 01100100 00100001

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
Go big or go home.

Go big or go home.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

desviper
desviper's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 sec ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
Foradain wrote:
Foradain wrote:
desviper wrote:

Anyone keeping track of the most Necro'd thread, because 2015 to 2018 is a huge jump :p

And I don't see a rednamed answer either :/ I vote the limit be 10', because base 10 rollovers are so nice :)

January 20, 2016 to January 8, 2018 is less than two years. Might be a local record, but I doubt it ^_^.

And I vote for 3m. Because metric.

My b, i misread 1/15 as 1/??/2015

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

Please have Scaling decals!

Avatar by MikeNovember

Pages