Announcements

All Kickstarter Backers: Please go to your Kickstarter account and update your emails.
We're trying to give you as much time as possible for the staged rollout of pre-Alpha.
Make sure you can log in, and make sure your email address is up to date.
Please make sure *@missingworldsmedia.com is set to Allowed or Not Junk in your email settings.

Ranger name change?

109 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dutch0524
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/14/2013 - 00:20
Call me groove master

Call me groove master

Atama
Atama's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 50 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 22:32
It occurs to me, the irony in

It occurs to me, the irony in the "ranger" name is that US Army Rangers are specialists in close combat. :)

I understand that MWM is just coming up with their own definition. I honestly don't hate the name "ranger" as "someone who specializes in ranged combat".

cybermitheral
cybermitheral's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 16 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/21/2013 - 20:54
What about "Distanceer" or

What about "Distanceer" or "Rangereer" - like Rocketeer but as you are from range, or distance...

OK Im just being silly :)

The Phoenix Rising Initiative Rules Lawyer

Mask-of-Many
Mask-of-Many's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 04/16/2018 - 07:49
Honestly, I like the idea

Honestly, I like the idea someone posted in this thread about the categories being generic descriptions so as to be newbie-friendly. "Ranged Assault," "Melee Assault," "Ranged Support," or what-have-you.

Master of the forbidden art of thread necromancy!

Kestrel: Street-level brawler with anger issues. Approach with caution.
Zero Break: Cyberpunk recon specialist.
All-Star: Star-spangled force-blaster & pilot.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
Mask-of-Many wrote:
Mask-of-Many wrote:

Honestly, I like the idea someone posted in this thread about the categories being generic descriptions so as to be newbie-friendly. "Ranged Assault," "Melee Assault," "Ranged Support," or what-have-you.

Oh how I despise this.

Give me lore. Give me interesting names full soaking with intriguing imagery and colorful visuals. Give me a name that makes me click a link to find out what it is and why. Draw me in with the tease of history and potential badassery.


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
MeSoSollyWan
MeSoSollyWan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 43 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/18/2014 - 00:54
Huckleberry wrote:
Huckleberry wrote:

Give me lore. Give me interesting names full soaking with intriguing imagery and colorful visuals. Give me a name that makes me click a link to find out what it is and why. Draw me in with the tease of history and potential badassery.

Some that have piqued my interest over the years:

Peacebringer
Warshade
Tempest of Set
Paragon
Ritualist
Moonkin
Squig Herder
Choppa
Knight of the Blazing Sun
Disciple of Khaine
White Lion
Keeper
Bureaucrat (yes really)
Meta-Physicist
Nano Technician

So many of these, upon first reading, made me go, "What the hell do these do??"

Brand X
Brand X's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 4 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
While I don't like the idea

While I don't like the idea of the class names being IC, I also don't care for the name of Ranged Assault and Melee Assault.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
MeSoSollyWan wrote:
MeSoSollyWan wrote:

Some that have piqued my interest over the years:

Peacebringer
Warshade
Tempest of Set
Paragon
Ritualist
Moonkin
Squig Herder
Choppa
Knight of the Blazing Sun
Disciple of Khaine
White Lion
Keeper
Bureaucrat (yes really)
Meta-Physicist
Nano Technician

So many of these, upon first reading, made me go, "What the hell do these do??"

Yes. Definitely. That's a good list and I recall some of those names quite fondly. Damn I miss Warhammer Online (check out Camelot Unchained and some of their class names while you're at it). In fact I was just Playing a Tempest of Set recently in the Age of Conan Saga of Zath promotion.

And the funny thing with all those names is that once you read the class description, or play the game, you know them by those names now; so any argument that they're not descriptive enough gets laughed at.


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
Wolfgang8565
Wolfgang8565's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2014 - 14:51
That's what Im currently

That's what Im currently struggling with some of the archetypes right now in COT. If you ask me what an Enforcer does I couldn't tell you. Of course I have read the descriptions but until I am in the game and have created and played with many of the different AT's I wont really know what is what.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 29 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Wolfgang8565 wrote:
Wolfgang8565 wrote:

That's what Im currently struggling with some of the archetypes right now in COT. If you ask me what an Enforcer does I couldn't tell you. Of course I have read the descriptions but until I am in the game and have created and played with many of the different AT's I wont really know what is what.

It's a "learning curve" like anything else. I don't have all the names/terms for this game "memorized" yet but I figure after I finally play it for a few days/weeks I'll pretty much have it figured out by then. It's really not -that- big a deal.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 42 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Ranger: Melee Challenged

Ranger: Melee Challenged Person.

rookslide
rookslide's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 51 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 09/25/2013 - 10:26
Cyclops wrote:
Cyclops wrote:

Ranger: Melee Challenged Person.

Lol that’s cute!

"A sad spectacle. If they be inhabited, what a scope for misery and folly. If they be not inhabited, what a waste of space." ~ Thomas Carlyle

TheInternetJanitor
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 05/11/2018 - 06:00
You could do a bit of both

You could do a bit of both during character creation. Other games have. You could have interesting names and have a brief description next to or under it. SUPERAWESOMECLASS (squishy range damage guy with tricks to avoid getting murderized in the face) as a silly example.

You could also have a brief guide that would be helpful for new players. During character creation ask the player a few brief questions on what they want the focus of their character to be. Close or long range, Damage or control or support, squishy or able to take punishment, and so forth. Give them a suggestion for an archetype at the end.

Even with this sort of archetype guide in place (or perhaps especially with it) you'd want to give players the option to skip and manually pick.

Atama
Atama's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 50 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 22:32
Cyclops wrote:
Cyclops wrote:

Ranger: Melee Challenged Person.

Okay, I understand I use my hands to fight, but what do my hands fire at people?

Redlynne
Redlynne's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 21:15
Atama wrote:
Atama wrote:

Okay, I understand I use my hands to fight, but what do my hands fire at people?

Bullets ... not guns.
Plasma bolts ... not blasters.
Stones ... not slings.

Need I continue?


Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.
Fireheart
Fireheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min 57 sec ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 13:45
Atama wrote:
Atama wrote:
Cyclops wrote:

Ranger: Melee Challenged Person.

Okay, I understand I use my hands to fight, but what do my hands fire at people?

Lobsters?

No, it must be Bees!

Be Well!
Fireheart

Deelon
Deelon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 09/26/2017 - 14:35
MeSoSollyWan wrote:
MeSoSollyWan wrote:

Some that have piqued my interest over the years:

Peacebringer
Warshade
Tempest of Set
Paragon
Ritualist
Moonkin
Squig Herder
Choppa
Knight of the Blazing Sun
Disciple of Khaine
White Lion
Keeper
Bureaucrat (yes really)
Meta-Physicist
Nano Technician

So many of these, upon first reading, made me go, "What the hell do these do??"

Oof, I miss the Squig Herder.
I only played Warhammer AoR for a few months, I wasn’t the biggest fan of the gameplay but goddamn if the Squig Herder wasn’t the coolest archetype I don’t know what is. I loved how bizarre the concept was, like the fact that your travel power (sorta) was just one of your bigger squigs that tries to eat you and you control it by keeping its mouth wedged open with planks of wood to steer it (and to keep it from chewing on you, obviously).

Airhead
Airhead's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 45 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 23:38
Cyclops wrote:
Cyclops wrote:

Ranger: Melee Challenged Person.

High Functioning Extraperambulatory Toytosser

"The illusion which exalts us is dearer to us than ten thousand truths." - Pushkin
"One piece of flair is all I need." - Sister Silicon

Pages