In CoX, we were able to get a cape when our character reached level 20. It was a big moment and way of declaring that we had arrived.
But in CoT we will be able to wear a cape from character creation onward. So what will mark our promotion to the Big Leagues?
I think it deserves its own discussion thread, so here I go:
When a character reaches level 20, they become eligible for a certain mission arc. At the successful completion of the mission arc, they get a companion sidekick. I'll leave it up to the talented writers of MWM to come up with a suitable engaging mission arc that tugs on all the right strings, whether villainous or heroic or something in-between.
Players could customize their sidekicks in the Avatar Builder, or with the commander's minion customizer, whichever is most appropriate.
Maybe instead of character level, some other threshold like renown could be used. I think renown makes sense since it would take a certain amount of fame/infamy for sidekicks to even want to apprentice with our character. Maybe there could even be a combination of prerequisites like a certain renown to be eligible for a sidekick and a certain reputation with a faction to get certain sidekicks specific to that faction. This could turn into collect-them-all type achievement hunting that would extend players' gametime engagement.
- But what would a sidekick be good for?
- Vanity - Like a cape in CoX, perhaps a sidekick in CoT has no purpose other than to look good and follow us around (when we are out of combat only?). We could toggle them on and off so they're not always visible. And when toggling them on and off they could say something and dash away, or vice versa, in accordance with whatever travel power we have.
- Select from a few pre-generated personalities, so that when they are following us they comment from time to time on what we do and we can interact with them in a few rudimentary ways.
- Farming/crafting - Much like how Retainers are handled in FFXIV, or how our followers can go on Errands in FF Tactics, our sidekicks can go on their own off-screen missions. These missions would end in some rewards in the form of drops or crafting supplies as well as some renown or reputation. This could help characters farming for renown and reputation, especially if they want to switch over from hero to villain or vice versa.
- Combat - Give our characters a sidekick ability or two that calls our sidekick to perform a combo attack with us, or provide some other combat capability. Maybe do this by granting our character a separate Sidekick Combo ability that we can insert augments and refinements into and even a separate sidekick set of masteries we can pick from so we can customize how our sidekick helps us in battle. This could synergize well with the faction reputation idea mentioned earlier if certain factions provided sidekicks with different capabilities.
- Base Decorations - Whenever we enter our base, we can find our sidekicks there, lounging or doing busy work. We could even decorate the sidekicks themselves for seasonal events, something that can be sold in the cash shop or earned on certain seasonal missions. Maybe even dress our sidekicks up in costume items that are only available after certain milestones or achievements.
-Should we be able to have more than one sidekick at a time? If so, should we be able to actually show more than one of them following us at a time?
-What other questions would be appropriate?
I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.