Announcements

WE HAVE RESERVES! Check out this week's Tech Update here.

City of Titan's first official novelette has been released. Check it out!

Don't forget to leave update ideas or other feedback in our FAQ Feedback thread.

Discuss: One Shot Tech Milestone Reached

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
JWBullfrog
JWBullfrog's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 51 min ago
Developerkickstarter
Joined: 11/04/2013 - 11:29
Discuss: One Shot Tech Milestone Reached

Something went wrong on the original post so feel free to comment here.

Original post can be found here :https://cityoftitans.com/forum/one-shot-tech-milestone-reached

MWM Editor- Public Relations Team Lead -All Purpose Frog

Wait until you see the... nope, that would ruin the surprise.

Pearly
Pearly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 06/18/2018 - 14:32
Congratulations to the dev

Congratulations to the dev team on this achievement! It sounds like we're all that much closer to getting a look at what has been so long in the making. The excitement is stirred!

angelo.pampalone
angelo.pampalone's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/12/2014 - 02:31
It's a great news! gg

It's a great news! gg

CoH Union Server
Main: Grattolomeo (in pic), Hekathonkire

Halae
Halae's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 30 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/17/2014 - 09:37
I'm so excited! just gotta

I'm so excited! just gotta wait and see now.

An infinite number of tries doesn't mean that any one of those tries will succeed. I could flip an infinite number of pennies an infinite number of times and, barring genuine randomness, they will never come up "Waffles".

Foradain
Foradain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 56 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/25/2013 - 21:06
And there was much rejoicing.

And there was much rejoicing. (yea!)

Foradain, Mage of Phoenix Rising.
Foradain's Character Conclave
Millennium City Refugee.
Avatar courtesy of Satellite9

Planet10
Planet10's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 03/23/2016 - 17:21
Good news, keep up the good

Good news, keep up the good work.

"Just, well, update your kickstarter email addresses, okay? Make sure they're current?" - warcabbit

Cobalt Azurean
Cobalt Azurean's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 11 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 16:39
(No subject)

Impulse King
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 55 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 18:55
Awesome news!

Awesome news!

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 45 min ago
Gunterkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/26/2013 - 16:24
Well done! It's good to be

Well done! It's good to be 'this' much closer.

Spurn all ye kindle.

Safehouse
Safehouse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
kickstarter
Joined: 10/15/2013 - 12:03
So if I’m understanding

So if I’m understanding correctly, Dresser is the interface that will ensure our characters that we create in the builder are given the appearance they should when plopping into the game?

So AB tells Dresser “this is what I wanna look like,” and then Dresser tells the game “this is what Safehouse wants to look like, make it so,” and the game then makes it so?

I’m not sure I fully understand. Either way I’m excited and can tell that this is a big step.

Name: Safehouse
Ranger: Gunner
Primary: Force Blast
Secondary: Super Agility
Tertiary: Kinetic Melee
Travel Power: Parkour
Status: Traveling. Following rumors of a huge city in Massachusetts that is teeming with supers.

Techclique
Techclique's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 16:39
This is exciting news. Good

This is exciting news. Good work to everyone working so diligently to bring this epic to fruition.

blacke4dawn
blacke4dawn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2015 - 03:02
Safehouse wrote:
Safehouse wrote:

So if I’m understanding correctly, Dresser is the interface that will ensure our characters that we create in the builder are given the appearance they should when plopping into the game?

So AB tells Dresser “this is what I wanna look like,” and then Dresser tells the game “this is what Safehouse wants to look like, make it so,” and the game then makes it so?

I’m not sure I fully understand. Either way I’m excited and can tell that this is a big step.

Technicality maybe but Dresser sound much like a system rather than "just" an interface. Otherwise you are correct in that Dresser is what actually "generates" the characters in the world, both PC and NPC.

On a more general note, this is exciting since it shows progress towards Second Chance. ;p

Pearly
Pearly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 06/18/2018 - 14:32
Quote:
Quote:

Technicality maybe but Dresser sound much like a system rather than "just" an interface. Otherwise you are correct in that Dresser is what actually "generates" the characters in the world, both PC and NPC.

On a more general note, this is exciting since it shows progress towards Second Chance. ;p

The prospect of Second Chance backing is what really has me excited too. I regret that I didn't know about it when it happened (and probably couldn't have donated to begin with), but now, take my money!!

GeeksGoneBad
GeeksGoneBad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Developer
Joined: 07/02/2014 - 08:58
Dresser (to clear up any

Dresser (to clear up any confusion) is the system that I wrote that changes the gender of the character, sets all the textures and materials for any Spandex (this includes skin, body hair, tattoos, spandex patterns and materials) it also "puts on" any costume pieces that need to be put on, and also sets the textures and materials that were chosen for the particular costume pieces, it also sets any of the appropriate body modifications that were tweaked, and finally sets and starts the Aura particle system - all in all there's about 300 functions that end up doing all that :)

before it was very integrated in with the UI chargen stuff - and now it exists as a stand alone component that we can drop on any character, pass it a few files that describe how the character should look, and it will handle it all :)

Hope that explains it just a little bit better ;)

Check out my CNC (and more) projects at http://www.mygarageworkshop.com

DesViper
DesViper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
See now even I thought

See now even I thought Dresser was a UE thing :p


Moderator
My Non-Canon Toons
Avatar by MikeNovember
Grimfox
Grimfox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/05/2014 - 10:17
Is Dresser local or something

Is Dresser local or something that is running on the server? Is dresser responsible for all the characters on screen or just yours? Curious because I remember early in the development where there was some work described that would increase the rate at which character loading could occur, or something a long the lines. Is Dresser the evolution of that? The data that flows between AB and Dresser, is that where our saved costumes would come from? Or would the link be a discrete output from the AB?

Is there are plan to monetize these elements in the UE store to act as a source of income? I could see these sorts of backend type things being useful for others building games. If they are flexible enough. Or is the hyper modularity just the MWM design philosophy? If so what benefit did you see in separating these two elements in the way that you did? Was there an eye towards allowing users to swap out the AB for a user modded AB that wouldn't turn all the characters created by the mod into spaghetti monsters?

I've been given an inch, I'm trying to take a mile!

(at)Roxanna - Little Sister - Plutonium Bloom - MilkShakes
Triumph
Guardian
Virtue

Dev Tracker: http://cityoftitans.com/forum/fixing-dev-digest
Dev Comments: https://cityoftitans.com/forum/dev-comments

Redlynne
Redlynne's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 13 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 21:15
(No subject)


Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.
Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 45 min ago
Gunterkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/26/2013 - 16:24
GeeksGoneBad wrote:
GeeksGoneBad wrote:

all in all there's about 300 functions that end up doing all that :)

Oh, is that all? :-)

The way I'm seeing it is that the AB is the architect while Dresser is the construction crew. Is that far off?

Spurn all ye kindle.

GeeksGoneBad
GeeksGoneBad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Developer
Joined: 07/02/2014 - 08:58
Grimfox wrote:
Grimfox wrote:

Is Dresser local or something that is running on the server? Is dresser responsible for all the characters on screen or just yours? Curious because I remember early in the development where there was some work described that would increase the rate at which character loading could occur, or something a long the lines. Is Dresser the evolution of that? The data that flows between AB and Dresser, is that where our saved costumes would come from? Or would the link be a discrete output from the AB?

Is there are plan to monetize these elements in the UE store to act as a source of income? I could see these sorts of backend type things being useful for others building games. If they are flexible enough. Or is the hyper modularity just the MWM design philosophy? If so what benefit did you see in separating these two elements in the way that you did? Was there an eye towards allowing users to swap out the AB for a user modded AB that wouldn't turn all the characters created by the mod into spaghetti monsters?

I've been given an inch, I'm trying to take a mile!

Dresser is a component (think of it like a plug in) that attaches to a character (PCs, AI...) so yes Dresser will be responsible for ALL characters that you see, but the thing is each character has their own dresser attached to them - it's not like there's only one Dresser and it has to dress the entire world - if there are 1000 characters in the world then there will be 1000 Dressers - make sense?

I haven't heard of any plans to put this in the Marketplace as a component that other games could use - but to be honest I am hoping it's not ;) it's pretty complicated and I think tech support for it would consume my time - and I need to be working on things for the game instead of doing tech support :)

It's safe to say that AB is now mostly UI, and will technically just generate your saved character files (this includes the spandex, costume pieces, morphs, etc..) - and it will also have a character (with Dresser) that will immediately be applying the saved costume every time so you can see your choices - again I hope that makes sense :) so data flow between AB and Dresser is basically using the saved files (although they might not technically be saved yet, right?) but this way there are many options for generating character costumes and applying them and each part has their own job to do without being concerned with the other parts... Dresser doesn't care where it gets it's costume files from so I believe there's a lot of opportunity and flexibility there to create other forms of an AB

Hope that answers most of your questions - if not feel free to keep asking - I'll answer what I can :)

Check out my CNC (and more) projects at http://www.mygarageworkshop.com

GeeksGoneBad
GeeksGoneBad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Developer
Joined: 07/02/2014 - 08:58
Cinnder wrote:
Cinnder wrote:
GeeksGoneBad wrote:

all in all there's about 300 functions that end up doing all that :)

Oh, is that all? :-)

The way I'm seeing it is that the AB is the architect while Dresser is the construction crew. Is that far off?

Nope, that's not far off at all :)

Check out my CNC (and more) projects at http://www.mygarageworkshop.com

blacke4dawn
blacke4dawn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2015 - 03:02
Grimfox wrote:
Grimfox wrote:

...snip... Or is the hyper modularity just the MWM design philosophy? If so what benefit did you see in separating these two elements in the way that you did? ...snip...

It's a basic programming paradigm, not strictly game related nor a result of MWM's design philosphy. Any functionality that you intend to use in more than one place is to be broken out into its own function/method/component/module (whatever you want to call it) so that you don't have duplicate code and thus only have one place to maintain it at.

The functionality in this specific regard is the act of displaying a character according to a "recipe".

Zerohour
Zerohour's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/10/2013 - 12:28
*yawn*

*yawn*

Another “milestone” that doesn’t show us any actual progress.

Currently trapped inside the Speed Force...

DesViper
DesViper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
Zerohour wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

*yawn*

Another “milestone” that doesn’t show us any actual progress.

Wanna see the Dresser code blocks?


Moderator
My Non-Canon Toons
Avatar by MikeNovember
blacke4dawn
blacke4dawn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2015 - 03:02
Zerohour wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

*yawn*

Another “milestone” that doesn’t show us any actual progress.

While it doesn't show anything I think these kinds of milestones are equally important as the ones that do show something. First and foremost it does tell us that there is progress in any capacity and that they are getting closer to a stated goal, but also it does give us insight into how it is built (a.k.a its capabilities) and also gives us an idea of how future proof it is.

Beeker
Beeker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 04/06/2015 - 17:30
Well done. I can't wait to

Well done. I can't wait to start making toons.

Planet10
Planet10's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 03/23/2016 - 17:21
Project progress (in this

Project progress (in this case, a software program) is not always outwardly facing to the user. Making things work isn't just throwing code at the wall as fast as possible to just to see what sticks.
This update, while in description form only (i.e. no spiffy pictures or video), in fact declares that progress is in fact being made. Would we complain if there was no update? Probably. Will we complain if the update doesn't show us that the release is imminent? Probably.

This update (along with the follow up description of what it means) should encourage people. Proper coding techniques make maintaining the code easier. And that means making changes (if necessary) reveals problems faster and thus fixing it faster. Faster fixes means less down time once the game is up (and potentially less data to push when an update happens).

"Just, well, update your kickstarter email addresses, okay? Make sure they're current?" - warcabbit

Glitch404
Glitch404's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 06/04/2017 - 20:35
Another thing to bare in mind

Another thing to bare in mind is that this is still a one shot update. The whole mentality of "No pictures = No sign(s) of progress" is absolutely foolish, especially given that in the instances that pictures are ever provided, people immediately hop on how "unfinished/unpolished" something is or looks. Updates like this are definitely reassuring. With it coming on a whole year later since the Fall 2018 fiasco, updates such as this one are (perhaps) just enough to hope that maybe, just maybe, we might be coming on to something real Soon™.

"If I am to die in battle, Remember me for who I was and not what I've become..."

Nos482
Nos482's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 15 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/25/2013 - 14:50
DesViper wrote:
DesViper wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

*yawn*

Another “milestone” that doesn’t show us any actual progress.

Wanna see the Dresser code blocks?

Yes. =P

When people ask me about my religion, I tell 'em I'd worship Cthulhu.

How bad could I possibly be? Let's see...

Zerohour
Zerohour's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/10/2013 - 12:28
We’ve been told for ages that

We’ve been told for ages that x piece now works with y piece and it’s exciting and one step closer. I’m not falling for it anymore. I’m not letting myself get excited and then told that something fell apart and has to be rebuilt.

Currently trapped inside the Speed Force...

blacke4dawn
blacke4dawn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2015 - 03:02
Zerohour wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

We’ve been told for ages that x piece now works with y piece and it’s exciting and one step closer. I’m not falling for it anymore. I’m not letting myself get excited and then told that something fell apart and has to be rebuilt.

So... if they throw in a video or a couple of picture it's impossible for it to fall apart later and have to be rebuilt?

malonkey1
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 10/10/2013 - 13:25
Then why are you still here?
Zerohour wrote:

We’ve been told for ages that x piece now works with y piece and it’s exciting and one step closer. I’m not falling for it anymore. I’m not letting myself get excited and then told that something fell apart and has to be rebuilt.

Then why are you still here?

If you aren't actually interested anymore, then why did you come back here? I genuinely want to understand what it was you were trying to get across by coming here and complaining because a brief announcement that this game's development is making progress in a way that isn't easily presentable because it involves entirely internal element wasn't important enough for you.

Software development is long, slow and boring, with lots of little moving bits that the users will probably never see and (if all is working well) will never have to worry about. And that goes double, possible triple for game development. Games aren't like movies or TV, where they just have to make each piece work once, or just a few times, then edit together the takes where it worked. Game development requires the product to work (ideally) every time, and can't just stitch together a few good takes into a complete product. You can't expect every single update, or even most updates to be as interesting to you as you want, and with how long it takes to develop a video game, especially an MMO, and especially an MMO with an all-volunteer dev team, the updates are generally going to be more "meh" than not.

Additionally, The amount of transparency we have been getting from the team is about as good as any reasonable person could ask for without asking for them to release the source code and all their internal records. The number of MMO developers and studios that have been as open as the MWM devs in regards to their development process can be counted on your hands and toes. To continue comparing it to other media, it'd be like if Marvel Studios decided to release weekly photos of their costume and cgi work on the next Avengers movie, long before it even touched theaters.

DesViper
DesViper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
malonkey1 wrote:
malonkey1 wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

We’ve been told for ages that x piece now works with y piece and it’s exciting and one step closer. I’m not falling for it anymore. I’m not letting myself get excited and then told that something fell apart and has to be rebuilt.

Then why are you still here?

If you aren't actually interested anymore, then why did you come back here? I genuinely want to understand what it was you were trying to get across by coming here and complaining because a brief announcement that this game's development is making progress in a way that isn't easily presentable because it involves entirely internal element wasn't important enough for you.

Software development is long, slow and boring, with lots of little moving bits that the users will probably never see and (if all is working well) will never have to worry about. And that goes double, possible triple for game development. Games aren't like movies or TV, where they just have to make each piece work once, or just a few times, then edit together the takes where it worked. Game development requires the product to work (ideally) every time, and can't just stitch together a few good takes into a complete product. You can't expect every single update, or even most updates to be as interesting to you as you want, and with how long it takes to develop a video game, especially an MMO, and especially an MMO with an all-volunteer dev team, the updates are generally going to be more "meh" than not.

Additionally, The amount of transparency we have been getting from the team is about as good as any reasonable person could ask for without asking for them to release the source code and all their internal records. The number of MMO developers and studios that have been as open as the MWM devs in regards to their development process can be counted on your hands and toes. To continue comparing it to other media, it'd be like if Marvel Studios decided to release weekly photos of their costume and cgi work on the next Avengers movie, long before it even touched theaters.

THANK YOU :)


Moderator
My Non-Canon Toons
Avatar by MikeNovember
Dark Cleric
Dark Cleric's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2018 - 12:26
DesViper wrote:
DesViper wrote:
malonkey1 wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

We’ve been told for ages that x piece now works with y piece and it’s exciting and one step closer. I’m not falling for it anymore. I’m not letting myself get excited and then told that something fell apart and has to be rebuilt.

Then why are you still here?

If you aren't actually interested anymore, then why did you come back here? I genuinely want to understand what it was you were trying to get across by coming here and complaining because a brief announcement that this game's development is making progress in a way that isn't easily presentable because it involves entirely internal element wasn't important enough for you.

Software development is long, slow and boring, with lots of little moving bits that the users will probably never see and (if all is working well) will never have to worry about. And that goes double, possible triple for game development. Games aren't like movies or TV, where they just have to make each piece work once, or just a few times, then edit together the takes where it worked. Game development requires the product to work (ideally) every time, and can't just stitch together a few good takes into a complete product. You can't expect every single update, or even most updates to be as interesting to you as you want, and with how long it takes to develop a video game, especially an MMO, and especially an MMO with an all-volunteer dev team, the updates are generally going to be more "meh" than not.

Additionally, The amount of transparency we have been getting from the team is about as good as any reasonable person could ask for without asking for them to release the source code and all their internal records. The number of MMO developers and studios that have been as open as the MWM devs in regards to their development process can be counted on your hands and toes. To continue comparing it to other media, it'd be like if Marvel Studios decided to release weekly photos of their costume and cgi work on the next Avengers movie, long before it even touched theaters.

THANK YOU :)

He's not wrong. And that doesn't mean he doesn't care or isn't interested anymore about the game.

Compulsively clicking the refresh button until the next update.

Atama
Atama's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 10 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 22:32
Dark Cleric wrote:
Dark Cleric wrote:
DesViper wrote:
malonkey1 wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

We’ve been told for ages that x piece now works with y piece and it’s exciting and one step closer. I’m not falling for it anymore. I’m not letting myself get excited and then told that something fell apart and has to be rebuilt.

Then why are you still here?

If you aren't actually interested anymore, then why did you come back here? I genuinely want to understand what it was you were trying to get across by coming here and complaining because a brief announcement that this game's development is making progress in a way that isn't easily presentable because it involves entirely internal element wasn't important enough for you.

Software development is long, slow and boring, with lots of little moving bits that the users will probably never see and (if all is working well) will never have to worry about. And that goes double, possible triple for game development. Games aren't like movies or TV, where they just have to make each piece work once, or just a few times, then edit together the takes where it worked. Game development requires the product to work (ideally) every time, and can't just stitch together a few good takes into a complete product. You can't expect every single update, or even most updates to be as interesting to you as you want, and with how long it takes to develop a video game, especially an MMO, and especially an MMO with an all-volunteer dev team, the updates are generally going to be more "meh" than not.

Additionally, The amount of transparency we have been getting from the team is about as good as any reasonable person could ask for without asking for them to release the source code and all their internal records. The number of MMO developers and studios that have been as open as the MWM devs in regards to their development process can be counted on your hands and toes. To continue comparing it to other media, it'd be like if Marvel Studios decided to release weekly photos of their costume and cgi work on the next Avengers movie, long before it even touched theaters.

THANK YOU :)

He's not wrong. And that doesn't mean he doesn't care or isn't interested anymore about the game.

To be fair, Zerohour is a backer and it’s totally understandable to pop in to check on the status of your investment. While I’m more optimistic about the game, and this current news does in fact excite me, I don’t blame a person for being jaded after years of delays. This is very different from a troll who creates a forum account just to crap on the game, the devs, and gullible fools that think it’s anything but vaporware. (I’ve seen those people show up on this board before.)

Brutum
Brutum's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 22 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/13/2013 - 19:18
If you aren't bowing down and

If you aren't bowing down and giving praise, expect a slap on the wrist. That's how these people work around here.

Puny Heroes.

warlocc
warlocc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Developerkickstarter
Joined: 09/20/2013 - 16:38
Brutum wrote:
Brutum wrote:

If you aren't bowing down and giving praise, expect a slap on the wrist. That's how these people work around here.

My post history would indicate otherwise.

PR Team, Forum Moderator, Live Response Team

Techclique
Techclique's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 16:39
Brutum wrote:
Brutum wrote:

If you aren't bowing down and giving praise, expect a slap on the wrist. That's how these people work around here.

While I could care less if someone is happy or sad about an update to the game you can't be surprised when negativity begets negativity while positivity begets positivity, it's basic human nature.

ThunderCAP
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 12 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/13/2013 - 01:24
Dark Cleric]DesViper wrote:
Dark Cleric wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

We’ve been told for ages that x piece now works with y piece and it’s exciting and one step closer. I’m not falling for it anymore. I’m not letting myself get excited and then told that something fell apart and has to be rebuilt.

He's not wrong. And that doesn't mean he doesn't care or isn't interested anymore about the game.

He is in part. He is evidently one of those peoples that needs to be lied to or prefers to ignore data instead of accepting reality. Proof of that: the fact that something may fall apart and need to be rebuilt, which is very common in development since you're not just building a wall in your garden, we're talking about hundreds of things to put together here. TripleA games do that all the time and the majority of us know that (news on news about non-easy developments, years and years of work thrown rebuilding things etc.).

I find it obvious but he would have been better by not knowing those events, even when a few are close to inevitable. There are other sides where you can accuse the devs of being unprofessional, but not the "rebuilding" part.
What he may accomplish with his rant is simply to communicate to devs that "I don't want you to tell me anymore that something fell apart and needs to be rebuilt", this is counterproductive for himself (info is power) but he doesn't understand it or care.

"I don't want this power anymore because I suffer with it" that's the translation of his quote.
"Please close my eyes so I can stop reading that you had troubles" and of course peoples answer him with: "close your eyes by yourself".

He is one of the few/many(?) that would be better without any update, that's all.

I'm not even saying that he is totally wrong, just stating what I find obvious (that he runs against his own interests which is to receive more data, not less, and to learn to select by himself the data he desires), but we're different and for a good reason, if we were all the same we would be useless to each other, so I'm sure he'll be useful in a way or another just by being himself ^^.

SpaceMoose
SpaceMoose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Developerkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/05/2012 - 16:22
There is an old quote about

There is an old quote about making sausage that comes to mind.

________
This looks like a job for SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!!!!!!!

Composition Team

Cobalt Azurean
Cobalt Azurean's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 11 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 16:39
SpaceMoose wrote:
SpaceMoose wrote:

There is an old quote about making sausage that comes to mind.

Mmm. Sausage.

StellarAgent
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 44 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/25/2013 - 13:48
Mmmmmmmmm, Bacon Sausage.

Mmmmmmmmm, Bacon Sausage.

mehebah
mehebah's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 10/01/2017 - 11:30
Will there be Bacon Sausage

Will there be Bacon Sausage in Issue 0? Can the Dresser make it smell like Maple Bacon Sausage?

Meh. Bah!

Zerohour
Zerohour's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/10/2013 - 12:28
Okay, sorry for the delay on

Okay, sorry for the delay on responding. Looks like I have a couple of things to address *cracks knuckles*

malonkey1 wrote:

Then why are you still here?

If you aren't actually interested anymore, then why did you come back here? I genuinely want to understand what it was you were trying to get across by coming here and complaining because a brief announcement that this game's development is making progress in a way that isn't easily presentable because it involves entirely internal element wasn't important enough for you.

I am still here because I don't swallow every pill I'm given, and neither should you. I have made investments in this game. I have been here since 2013. My wife was barely pregnant when I donated to this project, and now that child is 5 and a half. And except for a few videos, we are no closer to seeing this game than we were back then. Think about that. I am not one of the backers who praises every "announcement" that gets posted. My most of my leeway ran out the first time the promised date for the chargen came and went, and the few drops that remained evaporated after the fiasco at the end of last year when we were all severely disappointed again. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

I'm completely over giving the team the benefit of the doubt when we have nothing - let me repeat that - nothing to show for almost 6 years of development. There have been aforementioned videos, and lots of screenshots, but not once yet have I been completely impressed by what I've seen. And so, I feel it necessary to be my own person and speak my mind. Do you think that constantly praising them and forgiving all of their blunders is really helping anyone after all this time? I do not.

malonkey1 wrote:

Software development is long, slow and boring, with lots of little moving bits that the users will probably never see and (if all is working well) will never have to worry about. And that goes double, possible triple for game development. Games aren't like movies or TV, where they just have to make each piece work once, or just a few times, then edit together the takes where it worked. Game development requires the product to work (ideally) every time, and can't just stitch together a few good takes into a complete product. You can't expect every single update, or even most updates to be as interesting to you as you want, and with how long it takes to develop a video game, especially an MMO, and especially an MMO with an all-volunteer dev team, the updates are generally going to be more "meh" than not.

You know what? I'm so tired of every other forum poster here thinking they're experts on game development. We don't need to hear these excuses time and time again about how long it takes, or the resources involved, or the things going on behind the curtain that we aren't aware of. I don't need a run down of what you *think* you know about the subject. There are games and game companies that have succeeded in far more, with far less than MWM has. We have nothing that has been promised so far. How much more are you willing to forgive? Whatever momentum they once had is long gone, especially now that City of Heroes has returned.

malonkey1 wrote:

Additionally, The amount of transparency we have been getting from the team is about as good as any reasonable person could ask for without asking for them to release the source code and all their internal records. The number of MMO developers and studios that have been as open as the MWM devs in regards to their development process can be counted on your hands and toes. To continue comparing it to other media, it'd be like if Marvel Studios decided to release weekly photos of their costume and cgi work on the next Avengers movie, long before it even touched theaters.

You're making it sound like they're doing us the favor. Keep in mind, we're the backers. We are the ones that have made this possible. We are the ones they need to be held accountable to. This transparency you hold in such high regard is owed to us. Not the other way around. Without us as a collective, they've got nothing to stand on. When it comes time for the "second chance" kickstarter opportunity, how well do you think it's going to go if the people who have been originally following it and backing it aren't happy? This is not Bioware. This is not Rockstar Games. This is not Marvel Studios. Rather, its a group of people who took on a task knowing full well what they were getting themselves into. At this point, I don't care if its volunteer or not.

ThunderCAP wrote:

He is in part. He is evidently one of those peoples that needs to be lied to or prefers to ignore data instead of accepting reality. Proof of that: the fact that something may fall apart and need to be rebuilt, which is very common in development since you're not just building a wall in your garden, we're talking about hundreds of things to put together here. TripleA games do that all the time and the majority of us know that (news on news about non-easy developments, years and years of work thrown rebuilding things etc.).

You've got it completely wrong, friend. It is, in fact, the very reason that I'm not ignoring data or needing to be lied to that leads me to my current state of opinion. Trying to single me out as some unlearned outlier ("TripleA games do that all the time and the majority of us know that") isn't helping your argument. How many times must something fall apart or be rebuilt and kept hidden from the people that are financing you, and over how long, before its not acceptable anymore? They've had more than enough time to figure out additional means of funding to pick up the slack. And sorry, but some silly novel about the expanded universe of a game that doesn't exist yet, isn't it.

ThunderCAP wrote:

I find it obvious but he would have been better by not knowing those events, even when a few are close to inevitable. There are other sides where you can accuse the devs of being unprofessional, but not the "rebuilding" part.
What he may accomplish with his rant is simply to communicate to devs that "I don't want you to tell me anymore that something fell apart and needs to be rebuilt", this is counterproductive for himself (info is power) but he doesn't understand it or care.

Look at you, making all these assumptions about me. I do want to know about progress. I do want to know when something goes wrong. They make these announcements as if I'm supposed to be impressed. It's all words. These "breakthroughs" they keep making, conveniently, are never tangible. We don't even know what a single power set looks like yet. But hooray, the Avatar Builder has been rebuilt (yet again). Something called "Dresser" is involved. Is this a proprietary piece of software or a part of the Unreal engine that they're just utilizing? How is the average person supposed to get anything out of this? And - "...succeeded in getting Dresser to work in the new, rebuilt, ready to be extended and distributed environment..." Wait so the game environment has been rebuilt? When did this happen?

I could keep quoting your post, ThunderCAP, but it strikes me as rather condescending and obtuse. You're trying to paint my words with a color of narrative that fits in with your own little idea of what you think you know. But I'll make something clear for you, so you don't have to rely on your own misguided intuitions. We are well past the point of laughing about mistakes the developers have made. We are well past the point of shrugging our shoulders and saying "Well, at least they're trying." They've made promises and haven't kept them. And then they post these random "updates" that some people just keep ingesting, and they mean very little to a lay person like myself. I remember a couple of years ago they hit another one of these milestones and let us all know that we'd be getting more videos, more music samples, more power sets and their graphics, you name it. That the updates would start coming fast and heavy and that things would start happening at a more steady pace. Again, this was at least 2 years ago. Does it feel that way to you?

ThunderCAP wrote:

so I'm sure he'll be useful in a way or another just by being himself ^^.

I know what you're doing here. And I want to take the bait. But I won't.

And just to wrap it up:

SpaceMoose wrote:

There is an old quote about making sausage that comes to mind.

I mean, really, this is the kind of post we get from one of the developers. Forget about staying neutral. Forget about explaining the situation better. Just double down on some random assumption about a backer. Good call.

*Edited to write this little addendum once I realized that "DesViper" is also part of the MWM team. "Why are you still here?" he asks me. These are your developers. Incredible. Just incredible. *

Currently trapped inside the Speed Force...

Dark Cleric
Dark Cleric's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2018 - 12:26
Zerohour wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

And just to wrap it up:

SpaceMoose wrote:

There is an old quote about making sausage that comes to mind.

I mean, really, this is the kind of post we get from one of the developers. Forget about staying neutral. Forget about explaining the situation better. Just double down on some random assumption about a backer. Good call.

Dont go to discord...it's much worse.

Compulsively clicking the refresh button until the next update.

DesViper
DesViper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
You've quoted others as me..

You've quoted others as me...I'll give you some time to fix that.

[later]Fixed, now please keep discussion more civil.


Moderator
My Non-Canon Toons
Avatar by MikeNovember
Dark Cleric
Dark Cleric's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2018 - 12:26
DesViper wrote:
DesViper wrote:

You've quoted others as me...I'll give you some time to fix that.

[later]Fixed, now please keep discussion more civil.

Your "THANK YOU" is saying the exact same thing.

Compulsively clicking the refresh button until the next update.

DesViper
DesViper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
If we're getting semantic, I

If we're getting semantic, I said "thank you" not "ditto"


Moderator
My Non-Canon Toons
Avatar by MikeNovember
Dark Cleric
Dark Cleric's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2018 - 12:26
DesViper wrote:
DesViper wrote:

If we're getting semantic, I said "thank you" not "ditto"

In the context it's the same thing.

Compulsively clicking the refresh button until the next update.

DesViper
DesViper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
I disagree on the mechanics

I disagree on the mechanics of forum quoting. Had I meant to reaffirm every word, I'd say "ditto", but I meant to thank them for their articulated support, so I said "thank you".


Moderator
My Non-Canon Toons
Avatar by MikeNovember
Dark Cleric
Dark Cleric's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2018 - 12:26
DesViper wrote:
DesViper wrote:

I disagree on the mechanics of forum quoting. Had I meant to reaffirm every word, I'd say "ditto", but I meant to thank them for their articulated support, so I said "thank you".

No, you said "THANK YOU :)"

You can split hairs all you want.

Compulsively clicking the refresh button until the next update.

blacke4dawn
blacke4dawn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2015 - 03:02
Zerohour wrote:
Zerohour wrote:

...snip...

I'm completely over giving the team the benefit of the doubt when we have nothing - let me repeat that - nothing to show for almost 6 years of development. There have been aforementioned videos, and lots of screenshots, but not once yet have I been completely impressed by what I've seen. And so, I feel it necessary to be my own person and speak my mind. Do you think that constantly praising them and forgiving all of their blunders is really helping anyone after all this time? I do not.

...snip...

If all they have so far given us in terms of information, screenshots, and videos is nothing to you then please enlighten us, what would something be?

warlocc
warlocc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Developerkickstarter
Joined: 09/20/2013 - 16:38
blacke4dawn wrote:
blacke4dawn wrote:

If all they have so far given us in terms of information, screenshots, and videos is nothing to you then please enlighten us, what would something be?

I devoted an entire update to information exchange, and then stickied a thread, which can be found at the top of this very page, asking people to make suggestions and pose questions. It very clearly asks "what are we not sharing that we should be?"

We've been able to answer quite a few things posed there, and internally we're tracking the ones that we can't answer yet.
This last update is a step towards answering one of the questions in there, about the launcher.

At the end of the day, we've got some forum users that will complain constructively and seek out answers to their questions, and some that don't want actual answers and just want to complain.

PR Team, Forum Moderator, Live Response Team

Callum
Callum's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 19 hours ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/26/2014 - 15:06
It’s becoming increasingly

It’s becoming increasingly tedious having to read about supposed updates instead of literally just seeing the content for itself. Can we not just get a demo? A video of something in game?

It’s also becoming increasingly apparent that when complaints are made people are just being told to leave the forums or questioned why’ve they’ve even bothered checking back to begin with. Is that because there actually isn’t anything to show and they’re partly right?

MWM owe the fans and more importantly, the backers an update which contains substantial evidence of progress being made rather than the monthly pity parties celebrating coders overcoming minute problems as xyz elements of the game are made over and over again... I’m aware this sounds brash but instead of making a text post about something being remade or changed why not just show us a before and after.

Oooo, heavy

warlocc
warlocc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Developerkickstarter
Joined: 09/20/2013 - 16:38
Callum wrote:
Callum wrote:

It’s becoming increasingly tedious having to read about supposed updates instead of literally just seeing the content for itself. Can we not just get a demo? A video of something in game?

It’s also becoming increasingly apparent that when complaints are made people are just being told to leave the forums or questioned why’ve they’ve even bothered checking back to begin with. Is that because there actually isn’t anything to show and they’re partly right?

MWM owe the fans and more importantly, the backers an update which contains substantial evidence of progress being made rather than the monthly pity parties celebrating coders overcoming minute problems as xyz elements of the game are made over and over again... I’m aware this sounds brash but instead of making a text post about something being remade or changed why not just show us a before and after.

I mean, we could take screenshots of the code and post it in our updates. I don't think we're that worried about trade secrets. I suspect that'd get the same reactions that we're seeing here.

Many of our milestones, completed and upcoming, are purely code related. We can show you what the avatar builder looks like before and after this code has been added, but it won't look any different.

This update was significant in that it's a big step forward in getting our software compliant with our license for release. All the pretty pictures we show wouldn't have changed that we couldn't distribute any of it to testers until steps like this were done.

Making a game isn't like making a movie or a comic book. It's not all pictures and video and graphics. A huge part of it is code. Most studios don't announce their games until the code is done or close to done, to avoid stuff like this.

So to get this thread back on track: If anyone has actual constructive complaints or feedback for updates, the appropriate place is the Feedback thread. Continuing it here is going to get this thread locked.

PR Team, Forum Moderator, Live Response Team

Topic locked