Announcements

Watch this space for important information on planned twitch streams, updates and more

The Big List o Badges, or "Moose and Squirrel don't need no stinking badges!"

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 59 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
The Big List o Badges, or "Moose and Squirrel don't need no stinking badges!"

OK, lets list as many badges as we can, even silly ones so we can help the Devs out with the game.

Tutorial explorer badge, find a hidden room and beat the crap out of a villain that everyone else misses.
Tutorial vigilante, stay in tutorial and kill a 100 bad guys
Turotial Nazi Hunter, find the hidden Wolfenstien level and clean it out.

Phoenix Park badge> touch every point around the park at first level without getting into a fight.
You have Enemies badge: You fought one particular group to the point where they now have a price on your head
Martian Invader badge...took part in an invasion event
Godzilla Badge fight a big monster attacking city
Street Sweeper badge. Keep a street crime free for 30 minutes
Cool Shoes badge, defeat a number of reptilian enemies and get a badge and unlock cool alligator shoes and other costume accessories.

Flowers Badge (Valentines day only: Bring flowers to Anthem for badge...and a kiss)
First Character with Boob Slider out "ALL the way!" Badge
The "I bought this badge with cash!" badge. available at the game store.

Villains
Tutorial arsonist badge. set fire to the tutorial environment
Tutorial explorer badge. find a hidden room and beat the crap out of a hero
The Mighty Paladin badge. Find and beat up the Mighty Paladin
Purse Snatcher badge. every villain has to start somewhere, 1st level, 10 purses
Build a death ray gun....steal the components, build a giant death ray, and hold the city for ransom. Fight off NPC heroes.
Build a giant robot badge. same thing as above but you get to rampage about the city.
Gang Lord badge, take over a gang...use them to steal stuff and then abandon them to the cops while you run off with the loot.

TheMightyPaladin
TheMightyPaladin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/27/2014 - 18:25
How about making a badge for

How about making a badge for completing each official content mission
and a badge for every 5 or 10 MA missions completed.
plus badges for completing 100, 500 and 1000 missions.
That's will make the hard core badgers into hard core completionists.
Oh and we just have to have The give Cyclops a wedgie badge?

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
I'd have no problem with

I'd have no problem with badges you could get or earn cedit for in the CoT tutorials.

But if the tutorials are going to be places that you can't get back to after you've finished them then there better NOT be any badges there that you could ONLY finish while still in the tutorials. The tragedy of the Isolator badge from CoH was the perfect case study in what happens when the Devs made the mistake of trapping a badge in a tutorial during Issue 2, imposed something very silly to supposedly fix that mistake and then the years it took for them to finally undo that doubled-down epic fail with an Ouroboros mission to finally make getting Isoator something reasonable to do.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

TheMightyPaladin
TheMightyPaladin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/27/2014 - 18:25
Boot to the head badge.

Boot to the head badge.

TheMightyPaladin
TheMightyPaladin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/27/2014 - 18:25
And another boot to the head

And another boot to the head badge

TheMightyPaladin
TheMightyPaladin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/27/2014 - 18:25
That's right.

That's right.
Give people a badge to beat me up and I spam the heck out of your thread.
Take that:

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 59 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
And that brings to mind a few

And that brings to mind a few more badges...

The short sheet the Mighty Paladin's bed badge.
The light a bag of doggie poopies on fire and leave it at the Mighty Paladin's front door and run away badge.
Call in pizza deliveries with Mighty Paladin's address badge
and the ever popular, write the Mighty Paladin's phone number on bathroom walls badge

TheMightyPaladin
TheMightyPaladin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/27/2014 - 18:25
(No subject)
TheMightyPaladin
TheMightyPaladin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/27/2014 - 18:25
(No subject)
TheMightyPaladin
TheMightyPaladin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/27/2014 - 18:25
(No subject)
TheMightyPaladin
TheMightyPaladin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/27/2014 - 18:25
I didn't have to make those

I didn't have to make those videos
So other people must feel the same way.

Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 8 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
I think people should get

I think people should get over the can't obtain all badges for whatever reason gripefest, that happened in CoH.

Miss out on the tutorial badge? Oh well. It's not like people who missed out on an anniversary badge because they weren't able to log in that one month didn't miss out as well. Some badges you just may miss and will have to move on from.

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 59 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Brand X wrote:
Brand X wrote:

I think people should get over the can't obtain all badges for whatever reason gripefest, that happened in CoH.
Miss out on the tutorial badge? Oh well. It's not like people who missed out on an anniversary badge because they weren't able to log in that one month didn't miss out as well. Some badges you just may miss and will have to move on from.

If all badges were easy to get, why collect them?

Darkfaith
Darkfaith's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/05/2013 - 18:11
Personally, I think that any

Personally, I think that any badges that are in the tutorial should be a part of the tutorial introducing the system. Don't hide them, don't make them an easter egg. Use the badge that's in there as a tool to introduce the interface and the system (make it impossible to miss!), or don't have one in the tutorial at all. I'm also of the opinion that any badges that aren't time-locked should be available to anyone. You should be able to go back and get them, if you missed them, through some mechanic it should be possible with some work to go back and get it. I have no problem with time-sensitive badges being possible to miss, but if a badge is permanently in the game...it should be possible to get with varying amounts of work.

Lin Chiao Feng
Lin Chiao Feng's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Developerkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/02/2013 - 09:27
Cyclops wrote:
Cyclops wrote:

Brand X wrote:
I think people should get over the can't obtain all badges for whatever reason gripefest, that happened in CoH.
Miss out on the tutorial badge? Oh well. It's not like people who missed out on an anniversary badge because they weren't able to log in that one month didn't miss out as well. Some badges you just may miss and will have to move on from.

If all badges were easy to get, why collect them?

THEY MUST BE MINE!

Seriously, there is no need for another reason.

Has anyone seen my mind? It was right here...

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Brand X wrote:
Brand X wrote:

I think people should get over the can't obtain all badges for whatever reason gripefest, that happened in CoH.
Miss out on the tutorial badge? Oh well. It's not like people who missed out on an anniversary badge because they weren't able to log in that one month didn't miss out as well. Some badges you just may miss and will have to move on from.

I know it's sometimes hard to remember that there was a time when CoH did NOT have badges at all. Badges didn't appear in the game until Issue 2 which didn't get released until almost 6 months after the game's launch.

Why is that important you may ask? Well if you're the type of person who's a "badge completionist" then it was probably 99.9999% likely that by the time Issue 2 arrived you had already long since finished the tutorial with your main character(s). It's one thing to miss out on getting a badge if you were simply too lazy or wasn't aware of a badge like Isolator when you were going through the tutorial, but it's another thing when you move past an area you can't return to and then have the Devs decide to throw a badge in that area many months AFTER you would've had ANY reasonable chance to get it.

So while I might actually agree with your point of view when it comes to things like Anniversary badges I actually sharply DISAGREE when it comes/came to badges like Isolator. At least in the case of the Anniversary badges a player can be fully aware of when they are coming and can make reasonable efforts to try to obtain them so if they miss them it's totally the player's fault. What made Isolator different for pre-Issue2 players was that it was totally the Devs' fault for us missing it, not the players. That's a huge difference in this case.

In fact when you think about it the only legitimate reason why the Devs bothered to give us the "RV solution" for Isolator (and then later the Ouroboros mission) was because they had become convinced that trapping Isolator in the tutorial was a fundamental mistake on their part that had to be corrected. As I'm sure you'll recall they never bothered to give us new ways to get other time-locked badges like the old Anniversary badges because like you I'm sure they believed it was solely the player's fault for missing those.

So even the CoH Devs' accepted in the long run that trapping badges in the tutorial was a "bad thing" and hopefully the CoT Devs will learn from (and not repeat) that mistake.

Darkfaith wrote:

Personally, I think that any badges that are in the tutorial should be a part of the tutorial introducing the system. Don't hide them, don't make them an easter egg. Use the badge that's in there as a tool to introduce the interface and the system (make it impossible to miss!), or don't have one in the tutorial at all. I'm also of the opinion that any badges that aren't time-locked should be available to anyone. You should be able to go back and get them, if you missed them, through some mechanic it should be possible with some work to go back and get it. I have no problem with time-sensitive badges being possible to miss, but if a badge is permanently in the game...it should be possible to get with varying amounts of work.

Exactly this.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 8 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
Then put a badge in it in the

Then put a badge in it in the beginning, but no way to go back for it. Then it really is the players fault if they miss it :p

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Brand X wrote:
Brand X wrote:

Then put a badge in it in the beginning, but no way to go back for it. Then it really is the players fault if they miss it :p

If the CoT badge system is up and running on Launch Day then it would be totally up to the player to get any badges they wanted, even ones that might be locked in the tutorial. By then the beta would have likely been live for months and everyone who would care about getting every badge possible could research it and be aware of its existence.

Personally I would still like to see NO badges trapped anywhere like that regardless. But at least it would not be a situation of the Devs changing the game six months after launch to create a new badge system that would require access to an area that no Launch Day character could ever get back to. That was just plain stupid.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Nijanus
Nijanus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/10/2013 - 13:54
Here is a thought to ponder.

Here is a thought to ponder. What is the point of collecting badges unless there is a reward for having them. Maybe there should be a badge for the most badges collected. ;-)

Nijanus

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Nijanus wrote:
Nijanus wrote:

Here is a thought to ponder. What is the point of collecting badges unless there is a reward for having them. Maybe there should be a badge for the most badges collected. ;-)

If the CoT "badge community" works the same way it did in CoH there will end up being a small group of roughly several dozen players/characters who'll always be tied with effectively every badge currently available in the game at all times. I know this because I had two characters both of which were always in the Top 5 or so of the overall lists on Virtue for years.

Whenever a new Issue added new badges to the game it was always an informal race to see who would make it back up to the top the quickest. But beyond that most of us at the top would simply remain tied at the top for like 98% of the time waiting for the next Issue to hit. Basically what I'm saying is there's not going to be any one single person who ever has "the most badges".

Now if there was some way for the game to keep track of everyone's badge totals on the entire server in real time then maybe there would be a chance to reward the character that gets the highest total the quickest your special badge based on being the person that has more badges than anyone else at any given split-second moment in time. This would mean that even if there are like 50 people racing to get the most badges the quickest there would still only be one who gets the extra badge because he/she got there first. Every time the game added new badges there would be a mad rush to collect the new ones the fastest in order to get the unique top badge. It would be utter chaos (for good or bad) assuming it were possible to track everyone's totals in real time like that.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Kartanian
Kartanian's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/26/2013 - 13:54
For me, the very high value

For me, the very high value of the badges was tied up together in (a) the fun of exploring and seeing the lore tied to the history notes and things, and (b) the title I could give my character who had the badge. That was a unique (at the time) personalizing touch that I really liked.

I appreciated the accolades and "badge set" stuff that gave extra powers and boosts, and that would be fun, but the first two hold the most attraction for me.

A Wing and a Prayer, A Strong, Strong Wind, All Forests are One - Venture City metahuman novels in the spirit of City of Heroes and other comic book superhero fiction. (http://bit.ly/sdpbooks)

Chance Jackson
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 56 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 10/13/2013 - 19:10
Cyclops wrote:
Cyclops wrote:

Brand X wrote:
I think people should get over the can't obtain all badges for whatever reason gripefest, that happened in CoH.
Miss out on the tutorial badge? Oh well. It's not like people who missed out on an anniversary badge because they weren't able to log in that one month didn't miss out as well. Some badges you just may miss and will have to move on from.
If all badges were easy to get, why collect them?

Benefits and Titles

Issue 0 CoH player barely let my subscription lapse before NC Soft called it quits; my incarnate gear *Sniff*
Global: Chance Jackson; Triumph: Liege Cheetatron X, Fight of Your Life, Down Right Fierce, Infernal Samurai, Time May Change Me etc

Grimfox
Grimfox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/05/2014 - 10:17
I'm in favor of naming the

I'm in favor of naming the first badge in the tutorial "boy/girl scout" text: "You got a badge."

(at)Roxanna - Little Sister - Plutonium Bloom - MilkShakes
Triumph
Guardian
Virtue

Dev Tracker: http://cityoftitans.com/forum/fixing-dev-digest
Dev Comments: https://cityoftitans.com/forum/dev-comments

Kiyori Anoyui
Kiyori Anoyui's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/10/2013 - 11:03
Nijanus wrote:
Nijanus wrote:

Here is a thought to ponder. What is the point of collecting badges unless there is a reward for having them. Maybe there should be a badge for the most badges collected. ;-)

Would you lose the badge if someone then got more than you?

The Carnival of Light in the Phoenix Rising
"We never lose our demons, we only learn to live above them." - The Ancient One

Avatar by lilshironeko

Grimfox
Grimfox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/05/2014 - 10:17
The badge is the reward.

The badge is the reward. Quantity badge rewards should go for getting 10 25 50 100 250 500 750 1000 and so on. Having the most...every time there is a new patch the top 2 or 3 might exchange that badge 2-3 times. It's also not something most of the populace would participate in so your ROI would be limited to 2-3 characters out of thousands. Also does the most badges badge count towards their count? Then it might be impossible for anyone else to catch up as the leader would have a +1 advantage over everyone else. Perhaps an in game resource that would just show the badge leaders would be enough. Without actually rewarding a badge.

(at)Roxanna - Little Sister - Plutonium Bloom - MilkShakes
Triumph
Guardian
Virtue

Dev Tracker: http://cityoftitans.com/forum/fixing-dev-digest
Dev Comments: https://cityoftitans.com/forum/dev-comments

desviper
desviper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 4 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
Badge for talking your way

Badge for talking your way out of a fight, especially if it's not an obvious option ;)

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

Please have Scaling decals!

Avatar by MikeNovember

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
... or for talking your way

... or for talking your way into one, especially if its not an obvious option ;)


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
desviper
desviper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 4 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
Huckleberry wrote:
Huckleberry wrote:

... or for talking your way into one, especially if its not an obvious option ;)

Much better for villains, too!

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

Please have Scaling decals!

Avatar by MikeNovember

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 59 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Badge for solving every

Badge for solving every problem with violence...great for anti-hero types.
"But wait! We're peaceful protesters!"
"That's why I wear a mask, boys...:

Grimfox
Grimfox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/05/2014 - 10:17
A badge for not solving a

A badge for not solving a problem with violence or anything else for that matter.
Woman gets mugged, thief passes by hero standing there checking his auction house transactions.
Call it the, "I'm on my break" badge, or the "Not my problem" badge. Great for unfulfilled employee types.

Badge for starting fires. "Red Swingline Stapler"

(at)Roxanna - Little Sister - Plutonium Bloom - MilkShakes
Triumph
Guardian
Virtue

Dev Tracker: http://cityoftitans.com/forum/fixing-dev-digest
Dev Comments: https://cityoftitans.com/forum/dev-comments

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 59 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
A badge FOR solving

A badge FOR solving everything with violence.
A badge for beating confessions out of crooks.
A badge for continuing beating on crooks who surrender.
A badge for fireballing the purse snatcher AND his victim.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
Grimfox wrote:
Grimfox wrote:

Badge for starting fires. "Red Swingline Stapler"

Made my day.


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
Airhead
Airhead's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 15 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 23:38
A badge for collecting

A badge for collecting beeswax. The Honey Badge.

A badge for PVPing someone until they report you. The Grudge the Badge and the Ugly.

A badge for spamming emotes. Badge Jones Diary.

"The illusion which exalts us is dearer to us than ten thousand truths." - Pushkin
"One piece of flair is all I need." - Sister Silicon

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
Yes, this is a necropost, but

Yes, this is a necropost, but just because this thread is old doesn't mean it is not the most appropriate place to post this:

It occurred to me this morning that one of the hallmarks of fictional heroes is their ability to disappear right when the NPC turns his or her back. It even has its own trope, known as the Stealth Hi/Bye

Then there is this clip from Justice League that parodies itself:
https://youtu.be/phZEwB7ztXQ?t=69

So, I think it would only be appropriate that in a game featuring superheroes, we have the ability to disappear from NPCs when they turn their backs. We should get a little "ding!" when we know we've successfully done it. And if we do it enough we should get a badge or an achievement.

I am counting on the game's perception and stealth mechanics to accomplish this. Of course, this would probably require that NPCs have a back facing arc we can use to our advantage for those characters who don't have stealth abilities. Only those NPCs we engage in dialogue with should count. I can also see it as a form of dialogue option that isn't an actual dialogue option.

I assume that there will be a standard dialogue engagement range in the game, beyond which we can not engage in dialogue with an NPC. When our characters leave that range from an NPC, I would expect the dialogue box would remain open for a distance or time until the character got to a farther distance or enough time passed such that the dialogue box disappears. This would be so that we don't inadvertantly cancel our own dialogues if we are on the very cusp of the range because the NPC or the character shifts about a little bit.

I would take advantage of that for this Stealth-Bye feature.

When presented with a dialogue option, any dialogue option, if the character breaks contact with the NPC while the dialogue option is still up, and the NPC doesn't have perception of the character at the point where the dialogue box disappears, then that would count. I'm trying not to cause the devs to come up with any new mechanics for this. Just do a simple perception check whenever the disengagement range is reached and grant a success if the perception check fails.

Then, if a success, it could trigger the NPC to say something like "I hate it when they do that"


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
Having it as a dialogue

Having it as a dialogue option makes the most sense to me.

Just having the option to sneakily leave instead of saying goodbye or whatever.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
Project_Hero wrote:
Project_Hero wrote:

Having it as a dialogue option makes the most sense to me.

Just having the option to sneakily leave instead of saying goodbye or whatever.

Choosing that dialogue option could then make the NPC turn around for a second. We wouldn't need to make it a perception vs stealth role, but just make it a fait accompli. I'm sure there's an existing "deep in thought" or "monologue-ing" animation the game could run for a few seconds while it turns the NPC away to complete the effect. We could still do it as a badge or achievement, it just wouldn't be as skills-based. But just getting it into the game in some form would still be a victory.


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
TheInternetJanitor
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 05/11/2018 - 06:00
It would definitely be

It would definitely be entertaining as a dialogue option to end conversations. Even more so if it was a commonly available method of doing so. Players remember that sort of thing.

Skyrim, for all the crap people give the writing and dialogue, had one bit where you could reply to every dialogue in a quest series by conspicuously remaining silent. The writers used that in different ways with different characters having different reactions. Some took it as spooky or ominous, others as a sign of agreement or obedience.

What I'm saying is you could give players a "vanish quickly and silently" option for the end of every scene and rather than run it into the ground it could be used in a variety of ways. Perhaps there is a sense of urgency attached rather than being simply spooky, for example.

On a similar note it would be fun to have basically the opposite of this, a loud "(character name) AWAAAAAAY" sort of departure.

Fireheart
Fireheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 22 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 13:45
Perfect Perry flashed a

Perfect Perry flashed a careless grin and leapt into the sky while everyone was blinded by his personal lens-flare...

Kitten Dreams simply faded away, as if she had never been there.

Black Valkyrie gave a cold, hard, stare of contempt, turned, and stalked away into the darkness.

Be Well!
Fireheart

nightwings89
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 10/07/2015 - 11:28
It`s nice seeing all of this

It`s nice seeing all of this badges, and all so achieve them but are there any reward coming from them like i don`t know may be something to drive you achieve them to make you fight hours for them to still keep you coming back for the good fight, ...

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
nightwings89 wrote:
nightwings89 wrote:

It`s nice seeing all of this badges, and all so achieve them but are there any reward coming from them like i don`t know may be something to drive you achieve them to make you fight hours for them to still keep you coming back for the good fight, ...

I've seen hints where the Devs have suggested they are planning to "link" more rewards to badges in CoT - things like costume items and such.

The problem with making too many badges provide combat oriented rewards (i.e. +2% Damage) is that if the game ends up providing thousands of badges like CoH did then it would become way too easy to add all those little bonuses up to create incredibly over powered characters. Case in point I ended up with two different characters in CoH that each had 1390+ badges. If most of those badges had provided little combat bonuses you could imagine how ridiculously over powered my characters would have become.

So while badges in CoT might offer more COSMETIC rewards I doubt most of them would ever provide combat benefits. There'd be no way for the Devs to balance the game out between someone with no badges versus someone with a thousand or more badges.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

blacke4dawn
blacke4dawn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 12 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2015 - 03:02
Lothic wrote:
Lothic wrote:
nightwings89 wrote:

It`s nice seeing all of this badges, and all so achieve them but are there any reward coming from them like i don`t know may be something to drive you achieve them to make you fight hours for them to still keep you coming back for the good fight, ...

I've seen hints where the Devs have suggested they are planning to "link" more rewards to badges in CoT - things like costume items and such.

The problem with making too many badges provide combat oriented rewards (i.e. +2% Damage) is that if the game ends up providing thousands of badges like CoH did then it would become way too easy to add all those little bonuses up to create incredibly over powered characters. Case in point I ended up with two different characters in CoH that each had 1390+ badges. If most of those badges had provided little combat bonuses you could imagine how ridiculously over powered my characters would have become.

So while badges in CoT might offer more COSMETIC rewards I doubt most of them would ever provide combat benefits. There'd be no way for the Devs to balance the game out between someone with no badges versus someone with a thousand or more badges.

Plus it would, for practical purposes, make them part of end-game progression (one of the things I hated in DCUO) so it wouldn't be little thing you choose to get if you want them but rather thing you must get to be any good.

dreamcatcher
dreamcatcher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/03/2013 - 17:12
Not necessarily. We did have

Not necessarily. We did have some in-game benefits from badges in CoH and it never felt like you needed them to complete end-game. They were just useful. Don't get me wrong, I used those powers/Accolades to pull off some improbable things in the game, but they really just ended up being clutch saves rather than must have items. So it rewarded you for earning the buffs but didn't make them necessary for content.

However, it's true that in most MMOs this is not normally how things go.

I would say the bigger problem in CoH, at least for the earlier years, were the temp powers like the Wedding Ring, Sands of Mu, Warburg nukes, etc.

of Phoenix Rising
Am I

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
To be clear it would not be

To be clear it would not be bad if CoT offered a FEW badges that provided some combat benefits (like the CoH Accolades). But the reason that it didn't get too crazy/unbalanced in CoH was that out of several thousand badges only like around a dozen of them granted either permanent combat boosters or powers. This made them "nice to have" bonuses instead of "must have" requirements for the end game.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 59 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
There could be faction badges

There could be faction badges with no bennies. Faction is its own reward.
1) achieving good faction gets a badge
2) Extreme bad faction also gets a badge...i.e. Fishmen will attack you on sight badge aka, the 'Starkist Tuna' badge.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Cyclops wrote:
Cyclops wrote:

There could be faction badges with no bennies. Faction is its own reward.
1) achieving good faction gets a badge
2) Extreme bad faction also gets a badge...i.e. Fishmen will attack you on sight badge aka, the 'Starkist Tuna' badge.

Sure there could be a whole category of "faction badges" that might modify your reputation (up or down) with various factions in the game. I mean if Faction A gives you a medal and Faction B hates Faction A then it stands to reason that Faction B probably won't like you too much either. ;)

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 59 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
we could have a even badder

we could have a even badder faction badge where the fishmen won't attack you but rather flee from your presence...or breakdown crying when they can't get away.