Announcements

Watch this space for important information on planned twitch streams, updates and more

Pet request thread

118 posts / 0 new
Last post
Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
Pet request thread

Have you ever played your past or current favorite comic themed mmo and thought, man, I would sure like to have a pirate sidekick. Or maybe a scorpion? This is the reason for this topic. I am not spoiled, so I understand it may not bring about everything, or maybe anything, but I figured it could not hurt to throw ideas out there.

My request are

1: Mechanical, creatures and humanoids

2: Marine or oceanic

3: Huge summons, something like Champions online, they appear on the screen for a short time, then disappear Giants, Dinosaurs, and so on

4: Arachnids

5: Flying

Those are my top five. there is a thread on customization of minions, and it would be neat to be able to customize some huge summons.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 16 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
Who ever said all our pets

Who ever said all our pets had to follow the same theme?

An ensemble cast of characters would be pretty cool too. Like the Herculoids!


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
Nos482
Nos482's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/25/2013 - 14:50
I want Clowns. But not

I want Clowns. But not Pennywise nightmare fuel... I wouldn't mind, but I heard something about a T rating.
Make 'em cartoony...

... with brightly colored, surreal looking weapons. (ya know: chainsaws, hatchets... ten-ton hammers)
When summoned they could arrive in a clown car; and when defeated they explode into a cloud of multi-colored glitter.

When people ask me about my religion, I tell 'em I'd worship Cthulhu.

How bad could I possibly be? Let's see...

Halae
Halae's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 48 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/17/2014 - 09:37
I'll be honest - what I want

I'll be honest - what I want most out of every potential pet option is a single large wyvern. Preferably with wing membrance that extend all the way to the back of its body, like a flying animal is supposed to have. I don't really care about fire breating, I just want a wyvern.

An infinite number of tries doesn't mean that any one of those tries will succeed. I could flip an infinite number of pennies an infinite number of times and, barring genuine randomness, they will never come up "Waffles".

Godling
Godling's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 10 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/02/2013 - 13:28
I want to use the character

I want to use the character creator for pets; If its good for us and the npcs then its good for the pets too.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 31 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Halae wrote:
Halae wrote:

I'll be honest - what I want most out of every potential pet option is a single large wyvern. Preferably with wing membrance that extend all the way to the back of its body, like a flying animal is supposed to have. I don't really care about fire breating, I just want a wyvern.

Just admit it... you want to be able to do this in CoT. ;)

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Halae
Halae's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 48 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/17/2014 - 09:37
YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I DO.

YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I DO.

An infinite number of tries doesn't mean that any one of those tries will succeed. I could flip an infinite number of pennies an infinite number of times and, barring genuine randomness, they will never come up "Waffles".

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
I just want some originality.

I just want some originality.

A character creator for pets seems doable, but probably time consuming. It is certainly not impossible. Humanoids pets are pretty straight forward in terms of the character creation process that casual gamers are accustomed to. I am merely speaking from the point of view of someone with no true developmental experience. Feel free to chime in.

If CoT just allowed players to customized within the frame work of a particular model..there are so many creature families. Something like an octopus would float, human companions are fairly standard, quadrupedal move on all fours. Some dinos were bipedal, other were quadrupedal.

Feline pets would fall in the quadrupedal.

Heads: Lions, Tigers, Lynx, Saber-tooth, Panther, Mechanical, Dual Head Feline, Triple Head Feline, Mechanical Dual Head Feline, Mechanical Triple Head Feline and so on

I would imagine you can scale the height and weight. Tigers are bigger than Panthers by default

Hair: Huge manes, small manes, no mane, fire man, frost mane, mechanical mane.

Skin: Stripes, spots, scales, robotic, etc.

Wings or Back: Fins, Bat, Bird, Alien (Whatever that is), Mechanical, Quad, fire, frost, shadow.

Top Accessories: Horns among other stuff

Side Accessories: Horns, Tusk, Mechanical Cyborg parts, Ears, Fins, etc

Mouth Accessories: Tusk, Muzzle, Mask, Saber-Tooth and so on

Tail: Why couldn't we have various options? Fin Tail, Scorpion, Lizard,Bird, Lion, Mechanical, Triple, Dual, and so on

Ultimately pets options could rival the human creator's options, if we are talking parts. That seems like alot of work though.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 31 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Phararri wrote:
Phararri wrote:

A character creator for pets seems doable, but probably time consuming.

I'm guessing the hardest part of this wouldn't be the pieces-parts "accessories" you could add to these various non-humanoid pets (although they would of course take their own time to create regardless). The hard part would likely be coming up with the basic body model design (and the related animations) to account for each of these major non-human pet types.

Each type of pet you suggest: dog, cat, horse, octopus, etc. all would need their own range of animations. Each one would be like recreating the basic human male and female models we're getting for our characters multiple of times over. As you say it would not be impossible to do that; I'm just not going to assume we'll see any of that anytime soon. Remember it took many YEARS before CoH started adding even limited versions of dogs and cats to the game.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Cobalt Azurean
Cobalt Azurean's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 11 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 16:39
Let's not forget steam-punk
Phararri wrote:

1: Mechanical, creatures and humanoids

Such as the Nemesis steam-/clockpunk Horse?

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
Lothic wrote:
Lothic wrote:

Phararri wrote:
A character creator for pets seems doable, but probably time consuming.
I'm guessing the hardest part of this wouldn't be the pieces-parts "accessories" you could add to these various non-humanoid pets (although they would of course take their own time to create regardless). The hard part would likely be coming up with the basic body model design (and the related animations) to account for each of these major non-human pet types.
Each type of pet you suggest: dog, cat, horse, octopus, etc. all would need their own range of animations. Each one would be like recreating the basic human male and female models we're getting for our characters multiple of times over. As you say it would not be impossible to do that; I'm just not going to assume we'll see any of that anytime soon. Remember it took many YEARS before CoH started adding even limited versions of dogs and cats to the game.

I never got around to playing that but I see what you are saying because those are only vanity pets from what I am seeing.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 31 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Phararri wrote:
Phararri wrote:

Lothic wrote:
Phararri wrote:
A character creator for pets seems doable, but probably time consuming.
I'm guessing the hardest part of this wouldn't be the pieces-parts "accessories" you could add to these various non-humanoid pets (although they would of course take their own time to create regardless). The hard part would likely be coming up with the basic body model design (and the related animations) to account for each of these major non-human pet types.
Each type of pet you suggest: dog, cat, horse, octopus, etc. all would need their own range of animations. Each one would be like recreating the basic human male and female models we're getting for our characters multiple of times over. As you say it would not be impossible to do that; I'm just not going to assume we'll see any of that anytime soon. Remember it took many YEARS before CoH started adding even limited versions of dogs and cats to the game.
I never got around to playing that but I see what you are saying because those are only vanity pets from what I am seeing.

Exactly. They only started to add non-humanoid critters as vanity non-combat pets in like the last year or two of CoH. When you look back at all the hardwired pets from the pets classes of CoH (Controllers, Dominators and Masterminds) almost ALL of them were at least vaguely humanoid. Hopefully CoT will be able move past that limitation.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

desviper
desviper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 59 sec ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
There is difficulty in

There is difficulty in diverging from the humanoid model, however, floating, limbless or non-moving pets should be easy. Just pick a emanation point like the center of mass or "head", and have a minimal animation. Think Seekers from the Shard in CoH

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

Please have Scaling decals!

Avatar by MikeNovember

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 31 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
desviper wrote:
desviper wrote:

There is difficulty in diverging from the humanoid model, however, floating, limbless or non-moving pets should be easy. Just pick a emanation point like the center of mass or "head", and have a minimal animation. Think Seekers from the Shard in CoH

Yeah there's a good number of relatively simple "body types" that could be used for player pets. Like you say things like hovering drones or "swarms of bees" would not need animation for individual limbs and thus would probably be easier than say organic dog or bird shapes.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

notears
notears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/04/2013 - 17:24
I want a bunch of schoolgirls

I want a bunch of schoolgirls with, crow bars, knives and pistols

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 31 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
notears wrote:
notears wrote:

I want a bunch of schoolgirls with, crow bars, knives and pistols

Many people are hoping we'll be able to design our own pets/minions/sidekicks using the standard costume creator we'll have for our own player characters (at least for pets/minions/sidekicks that a basically humanoid in shape). If that's the case I'm sure you'll be able to have your bunch-o-schoolgirls.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Lin Chiao Feng
Lin Chiao Feng's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Developerkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/02/2013 - 09:27
notears wrote:
notears wrote:

I want a bunch of schoolgirls with, crow bars, knives and pistols

How about Vulcan cannons?

... Okay, well at least they sound like schoolgirls...

Has anyone seen my mind? It was right here...

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 31 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:

Okay, well at least they sound like schoolgirls...

That would be yet another cool way to customize pets/minions if you could upload what you'd want them to SOUND like as well as LOOK like. Of course you'd have people instantly abusing that with all sorts of profanities and such but still it'd be a cool feature were it possible.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Dark Ether
Dark Ether's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 47 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 16:26
Yep, a mob of St. Trinian's

Yep, a mob of St. Trinian's girls would be interesting....

(insert pithy comment here)

Airhead
Airhead's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 23:38
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:

How about Vulcan cannons?

Ee! I just had a panicky urge to smash the console in the picture before the rest of the robots came to life. Kind of a Post ITF Stress Disorder (acronym unintentional).

"The illusion which exalts us is dearer to us than ten thousand truths." - Pushkin
"One piece of flair is all I need." - Sister Silicon

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
Cobalt Azurean wrote:
Cobalt Azurean wrote:

Phararri wrote:
1: Mechanical, creatures and humanoids
Such as the Nemesis steam-/clockpunk Horse?

That is pretty cool, I will take that although I am a mech guy

I will say it again, multiple head choice. I cannot be the only one that considered some default head options such as triple and double headers, but I digress.

So CoH had costume emotes. I wonder how feasible pet costumes slots and costume emotes are?

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 31 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Phararri wrote:
Phararri wrote:

So CoH had costume emotes. I wonder how feasible pet costumes slots and costume emotes are?

If CoT had "pet costume slots" (which would allow us to customize humanoid pets) then I'd imagine all the Costume Change Emotes would work for pets just like they do player characters. There was nothing "body model specific" about the way CCEs worked in CoH.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Wolfgang8565
Wolfgang8565's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 10/31/2014 - 14:51
I see a lot of references to

I see a lot of references to fantasy type pets and tbh, I hate that idea. One of the reasons I loved COH was it wasn't too overly fantastical. Granted, there were some mystical type creatures, but for the most part, you were in cities, surrounded by tall buildings, trees, regular people npcs. I hate games that have way too much fantasy i.e WOW. It completely takes me out of the world. I don't want to see people flying around on dragons, and being followed by yetis. Can we keep the pets scifi like robots for example?

Cobalt Azurean
Cobalt Azurean's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 11 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 16:39
Wolfgang8565 wrote:
Wolfgang8565 wrote:

I see a lot of references to fantasy type pets and tbh, I hate that idea. One of the reasons I loved COH was it wasn't too overly fantastical. Granted, there were some mystical type creatures, but for the most part, you were in cities, surrounded by tall buildings, trees, regular people npcs. I hate games that have way too much fantasy i.e WOW. It completely takes me out of the world. I don't want to see people flying around on dragons, and being followed by yetis. Can we keep the pets scifi like robots for example?

What I loved about CoH/V was that you could have anything. I don't think it should be overtly sci-fi or fantasy. If a cyborg wants to team-up with an elven princess that rides a dragon as her travel power, so be it, I say. Contemporary setting, such as a current city, but with sci-fi and fantasy elements would be preferable.

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
Wolfgang8565 wrote:
Wolfgang8565 wrote:

I see a lot of references to fantasy type pets and tbh, I hate that idea. One of the reasons I loved COH was it wasn't too overly fantastical. Granted, there were some mystical type creatures, but for the most part, you were in cities, surrounded by tall buildings, trees, regular people npcs. I hate games that have way too much fantasy i.e WOW. It completely takes me out of the world. I don't want to see people flying around on dragons, and being followed by yetis. Can we keep the pets scifi like robots for example?

WW is fantasy, Thor is too. I dont like neither of them but this is the reason why comic themed games crash and burn, get shutdown or just not do well which is the case for CO and DCUO. Fantasy is the largest genre among MMO players, why neglect that crowd. So long as WoW is still perhaps the best mmo out there, by the numbers, I say throw fantasy in there, and sci-fi which is also big now and days.

What has comic themed games done the past few years that makes them successful? Or what element of comic theme mmo or what captures mmorpg fans? Nothing really, because they are probably the least popular mmo genre. people only love the movies because of the stars, reason why the mmos' are not very popular, except Marvel Heroes.

We are a very small niche, not everyone cares or knew about CoH. comic theme games have to expand their horizons in order to have sustainability. The only mmo of this genre which displayed the availability to do that was MH, but again, this is because Cap looks like Evans, Fury looks like Jackson, and Blade looks like Snipes. people don't care about our little niche here.

DCU is reeling, they are P2W and will not refute it. You can buy your way to respectable stature.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Wolfgang8565
Wolfgang8565's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 10/31/2014 - 14:51
Phararri wrote:
Phararri wrote:

Wolfgang8565 wrote:
I see a lot of references to fantasy type pets and tbh, I hate that idea. One of the reasons I loved COH was it wasn't too overly fantastical. Granted, there were some mystical type creatures, but for the most part, you were in cities, surrounded by tall buildings, trees, regular people npcs. I hate games that have way too much fantasy i.e WOW. It completely takes me out of the world. I don't want to see people flying around on dragons, and being followed by yetis. Can we keep the pets scifi like robots for example?
WW is fantasy, Thor is too. I dont like neither of them but this is the reason why comic themed games crash and burn, get shutdown or just not do well which is the case for CO and DCUO. Fantasy is the largest genre among MMO players, why neglect that crowd. So long as WoW is still perhaps the best mmo out there, by the numbers, I say throw fantasy in there, and sci-fi which is also big now and days.
What has comic themed games done the past few years that makes them successful? Or what element of comic theme mmo or what captures mmorpg fans? Nothing really, because they are probably the least popular mmo genre. people only love the movies because of the stars, reason why the mmos' are not very popular, except Marvel Heroes.
We are a very small niche, not everyone cares or knew about CoH. comic theme games have to expand their horizons in order to have sustainability. The only mmo of this genre which displayed the availability to do that was MH, but again, this is because Cap looks like Evans, Fury looks like Jackson, and Blade looks like Snipes. people don't care about our little niche here.
DCU is reeling, they are P2W and will not refute it. You can buy your way to respectable stature.

I think now is a great time to take advantage of the comic fans that have renewed interest through all the movies coming out. I don't think we have to resort to building a game where gnomes, elves, and fairies are walking around streets alongside caped heroes.

There's hundreds of mmo's out there that are fantasy based, in fact most of the mmo's are basically fantasy, so why would we join the mix? So we can get lost among them? I think focusing on a comic/hero based game with SOME fantasy, is the way to go. But I don't agree there should be dragons, and fantasy worlds in a game that is specifically themed as a superhero game.

Halae
Halae's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 48 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/17/2014 - 09:37
Wolfgang8565 wrote:
Wolfgang8565 wrote:

I think now is a great time to take advantage of the comic fans that have renewed interest through all the movies coming out. I don't think we have to resort to building a game where gnomes, elves, and fairies are walking around streets alongside caped heroes.

There's hundreds of mmo's out there that are fantasy based, in fact most of the mmo's are basically fantasy, so why would we join the mix? So we can get lost among them? I think focusing on a comic/hero based game with SOME fantasy, is the way to go. But I don't agree there should be dragons, and fantasy worlds in a game that is specifically themed as a superhero game.

i think you're focusing on the wrong thing - the inclusion of Fantasy story elements does not make a story inherently a generic fantasy story. A good example is Shadowrun; in spite of the fact that you can run around playing trolls, dwarves, and elves, it's largely considered a cyberpunk game rather than fantasy. The trick is balance. Having the availability of options does not inherently make those options the primary factor in a game's life.

That said, I really doubt CoT will include much more in the way of fantasy shenanigans than CoH did, and even then possibly even less; CoH leaned heavily on things like Divine power and the Furies for its later story, but it was still a focused superhero game. Now, I don't expect there to be elves and orcs running around, but mages? Demons? Yeah, absolutely. Those are staples of the superhero genre, as much as robots are, and CoT is meant to be good for characters from any type of superhero story.

An infinite number of tries doesn't mean that any one of those tries will succeed. I could flip an infinite number of pennies an infinite number of times and, barring genuine randomness, they will never come up "Waffles".

Wolfgang8565
Wolfgang8565's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 10/31/2014 - 14:51
Halae wrote:
Halae wrote:

Wolfgang8565 wrote:
I think now is a great time to take advantage of the comic fans that have renewed interest through all the movies coming out. I don't think we have to resort to building a game where gnomes, elves, and fairies are walking around streets alongside caped heroes.
There's hundreds of mmo's out there that are fantasy based, in fact most of the mmo's are basically fantasy, so why would we join the mix? So we can get lost among them? I think focusing on a comic/hero based game with SOME fantasy, is the way to go. But I don't agree there should be dragons, and fantasy worlds in a game that is specifically themed as a superhero game.
i think you're focusing on the wrong thing - the inclusion of Fantasy story elements does not make a story inherently a generic fantasy story. A good example is Shadowrun; in spite of the fact that you can run around playing trolls, dwarves, and elves, it's largely considered a cyberpunk game rather than fantasy. The trick is balance. Having the availability of options does not inherently make those options the primary factor in a game's life.
That said, I really doubt CoT will include much more in the way of fantasy shenanigans than CoH did, and even then possibly even less; CoH leaned heavily on things like Divine power and the Furies for its later story, but it was still a focused superhero game. Now, I don't expect there to be elves and orcs running around, but mages? Demons? Yeah, absolutely. Those are staples of the superhero genre, as much as robots are, and CoT is meant to be good for characters from any type of superhero story.

Ok, that's good to know.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 31 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Wolfgang8565 wrote:
Wolfgang8565 wrote:

I see a lot of references to fantasy type pets and tbh, I hate that idea. One of the reasons I loved COH was it wasn't too overly fantastical.

You say this as if sci-fi worlds/games never "borrow" from predominantly fantasy settings. Take Star Trek for example:

Vulcans = Elves
Romulans = Dark Elves
Klingons = Orcs
Ferengi = Goblins
Borg = Zombies
Tellarites = Dwarves

and so on... ;)

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
Wolfgang8565 wrote:
Wolfgang8565 wrote:

Phararri wrote:
Wolfgang8565 wrote:
I see a lot of references to fantasy type pets and tbh, I hate that idea. One of the reasons I loved COH was it wasn't too overly fantastical. Granted, there were some mystical type creatures, but for the most part, you were in cities, surrounded by tall buildings, trees, regular people npcs. I hate games that have way too much fantasy i.e WOW. It completely takes me out of the world. I don't want to see people flying around on dragons, and being followed by yetis. Can we keep the pets scifi like robots for example?
WW is fantasy, Thor is too. I dont like neither of them but this is the reason why comic themed games crash and burn, get shutdown or just not do well which is the case for CO and DCUO. Fantasy is the largest genre among MMO players, why neglect that crowd. So long as WoW is still perhaps the best mmo out there, by the numbers, I say throw fantasy in there, and sci-fi which is also big now and days.
What has comic themed games done the past few years that makes them successful? Or what element of comic theme mmo or what captures mmorpg fans? Nothing really, because they are probably the least popular mmo genre. people only love the movies because of the stars, reason why the mmos' are not very popular, except Marvel Heroes.
We are a very small niche, not everyone cares or knew about CoH. comic theme games have to expand their horizons in order to have sustainability. The only mmo of this genre which displayed the availability to do that was MH, but again, this is because Cap looks like Evans, Fury looks like Jackson, and Blade looks like Snipes. people don't care about our little niche here.
DCU is reeling, they are P2W and will not refute it. You can buy your way to respectable stature.
I think now is a great time to take advantage of the comic fans that have renewed interest through all the movies coming out. I don't think we have to resort to building a game where gnomes, elves, and fairies are walking around streets alongside caped heroes.
There's hundreds of mmo's out there that are fantasy based, in fact most of the mmo's are basically fantasy, so why would we join the mix? So we can get lost among them? I think focusing on a comic/hero based game with SOME fantasy, is the way to go. But I don't agree there should be dragons, and fantasy worlds in a game that is specifically themed as a superhero game.

That has never worked. Comic themed MMOs do not do well, but the movies do, go figure.

Generic superheroes nobody cares about do not garner the same interest as movie stars do. The Civil War was a recent one, but it did not help DCU or CO. It helped MH, because those charcters are based upon that universe. To a lesser extent, BvS helped DCUO. CoT does not have a trademark character like that to fall back on and in the long run, DCUO is struggling. X-Men origins came out in 2009, it did not help CO in 2017. It does not work like that. It only works for games like MH, with iconic heroes not generic ones. Here are mythical reptiles and gnomes for you though.

Unicorns too!!! Say it aint so

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Cobalt Azurean
Cobalt Azurean's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 11 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 16:39
Phararri wrote:
Phararri wrote:

That has never worked. Comic themed MMOs do not do well, but the movies do, go figure.

I don't believe this is accurate. Matt "Positron" Miller stated in his AMA on Reddit some time ago that going Buy-To-Play as their business model was very successful in regards to their cash flow. That's why, among other reasons, it came as such a surprise that NCSoft pulled the plug. Just because something isn't WoW doesn't mean it isn't doing "well".

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
Cobalt Azurean wrote:
Cobalt Azurean wrote:

Phararri wrote:
That has never worked. Comic themed MMOs do not do well, but the movies do, go figure.
I don't believe this is accurate. Matt "Positron" Miller stated in his AMA on Reddit some time ago that going Buy-To-Play as their business model was very successful in regards to their cash flow. That's why, among other reasons, it came as such a surprise that NCSoft pulled the plug. Just because something isn't WoW doesn't mean it isn't doing "well".

Will they pull the plug on WoW? No way. There was something up, must likely that the fan base were unaware of. No sensible human being will pull the plug on something that was making a killing. DCU said the same thing about time capsules. They said it was the most successful thing they have done in terms of bringing in cash. Like most companies, Daybreak failed to disclose their current financial state. It could have been the most successful thing they have done in terms of cash flow, but how deep in the hole were they?

CoH was not a top tier mmo. Comic book mmmorpg are not mainstream, unless it is Marvel Heroes, to a lesser extent. The only way for these type of mmo can break into mainstream is if Marvel made a true mmorpg based in that universe. DC is like the B-list brand, nobody really cares about DC the way people they do Marvel.

The other way a comic theme mmo can break into the mmo mainstream is to incorporate a fantasy mentality. Comic theme games fail because they restrict themselves to a niche. When comic theme games stop worrying about what the small community of superhero fans think of their theme, they will break mainstream. As of now, they are catering to a very small niche audience.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 31 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Phararri wrote:
Phararri wrote:

The other way a comic theme mmo can break into the mmo mainstream is to incorporate a fantasy mentality. Comic theme games fail because they restrict themselves to a niche. When comic theme games stop worrying about what the small community of superhero fans think of their theme, they will break mainstream. As of now, they are catering to a very small niche audience.

Ironically the "superhero genre" is one of the few venues where you could plausibly entertain content from just about any other genre without it being "weird" somehow. Think about it: Superheroes can do things with scf-fi, fantasy, historic, pre-historic, futuristic, space, alternate realities, etc. without barely having to explain why any of that is possible. From this point of view it almost seems strange that superhero games aren't the most popular types of games, period.

I think part of the problem is that when most mainstream people think of "superhero" they ONLY think of either Marvel or DC. They generally don't realize that the superhero genre is so much bigger than the IPs of a couple of American comic book companies. Oh well...

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
Lothic wrote:
Lothic wrote:

Phararri wrote:
The other way a comic theme mmo can break into the mmo mainstream is to incorporate a fantasy mentality. Comic theme games fail because they restrict themselves to a niche. When comic theme games stop worrying about what the small community of superhero fans think of their theme, they will break mainstream. As of now, they are catering to a very small niche audience.
Ironically the "superhero genre" is one of the few venues where you could plausibly entertain content from just about any other genre without it being "weird" somehow. Think about it: Superheroes can do things with scf-fi, fantasy, historic, pre-historic, futuristic, space, alternate realities, etc. without barely having to explain why any of that is possible. From this point of view it almost seems strange that superhero games aren't the most popular types of games, period.
I think part of the problem is that when most mainstream people think of "superhero" they ONLY think of either Marvel or DC. They generally don't realize that the superhero genre is so much bigger than the IPs of a couple of American comic book companies. Oh well...

Very true. Even Marvel brands have covered guys like Hercules but he is not viewed as a superhero for some reason, but Thor is. Out of all of the successors, I like the name City of Titans, it is somewhat vague. When players think titan,a plethora of concepts may come to mind. A large fantasy sword wielding guy, maybe a buff flying guy with a cape, Teen Titans, or even a hybrid man-monster. With superheroes, they seem to think spandex only.

Maybe CoT should show off some things that are buried deep within the superhero universe. Like a Barbarian or Hydra.

And sci-fi and futuristic weaponry.

What I saw so far was tights and spandex.

I actually had another idea everyone. If there will be things such as wyrms or hydra, what is the ceiling for pets? Obviously a 5ft wyrm is laughable. Instead of all pets being on screen followers, it would be neat to have some customized big summons that appear for a short time, then disappear. CO has done this. Mechanical Monstrosity summons a huge spider.

Or is it possible to have huge followers?

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 31 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Phararri wrote:
Phararri wrote:

I actually had another idea everyone. If there will be things such as wyrms or hydra, what is the ceiling for pets? Obviously a 5ft wyrm is laughable. Instead of all pets being on screen followers, it would be neat to have some customized big summons that appear for a short time, then disappear. CO has done this. Mechanical Monstrosity summons a huge spider.

Or is it possible to have huge followers?

The main issue to deal with concerning huge pets is how they'd want to handle them when you're inside an enclosed area. Having Godzilla for a pet probably wouldn't work too well for the average city building.

They could probably just set it up so that you can only summon huge pets like that when you're outside. This means they'd go poof as soon as you tried to enter a building or some such.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Halae
Halae's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 48 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/17/2014 - 09:37
I feel that the max size for

I feel that the max size for pets/minions should be around the same size as the maximum for players - that's still downright massive when you get into comparisons with normal people, but it keeps them relatively reasonable, as it means that anything that can fit a standard player character will also be able to fit your pet, eliminating a large amount of the problem with selecting a large pet.

An infinite number of tries doesn't mean that any one of those tries will succeed. I could flip an infinite number of pennies an infinite number of times and, barring genuine randomness, they will never come up "Waffles".

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 31 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Halae wrote:
Halae wrote:

I feel that the max size for pets/minions should be around the same size as the maximum for players - that's still downright massive when you get into comparisons with normal people, but it keeps them relatively reasonable, as it means that anything that can fit a standard player character will also be able to fit your pet, eliminating a large amount of the problem with selecting a large pet.

Yeah I'd limit "combat pets" to that "player max" size just so you could always summon them no matter where you are. But for something like a vanity pet I would think they could be very large (and also suffer the limitation I mentioned of only being allowed outside).

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 46 min 38 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
Phararri wrote:
Phararri wrote:

Cobalt Azurean wrote:
Phararri wrote:
That has never worked. Comic themed MMOs do not do well, but the movies do, go figure.
I don't believe this is accurate. Matt "Positron" Miller stated in his AMA on Reddit some time ago that going Buy-To-Play as their business model was very successful in regards to their cash flow. That's why, among other reasons, it came as such a surprise that NCSoft pulled the plug. Just because something isn't WoW doesn't mean it isn't doing "well".
Will they pull the plug on WoW? No way. There was something up, must likely that the fan base were unaware of. No sensible human being will pull the plug on something that was making a killing. DCU said the same thing about time capsules. They said it was the most successful thing they have done in terms of bringing in cash. Like most companies, Daybreak failed to disclose their current financial state. It could have been the most successful thing they have done in terms of cash flow, but how deep in the hole were they?
CoH was not a top tier mmo. Comic book mmmorpg are not mainstream, unless it is Marvel Heroes, to a lesser extent. The only way for these type of mmo can break into mainstream is if Marvel made a true mmorpg based in that universe. DC is like the B-list brand, nobody really cares about DC the way people they do Marvel.
The other way a comic theme mmo can break into the mmo mainstream is to incorporate a fantasy mentality. Comic theme games fail because they restrict themselves to a niche. When comic theme games stop worrying about what the small community of superhero fans think of their theme, they will break mainstream. As of now, they are catering to a very small niche audience.

There is a way to do all that and still make sense in the sense of a super hero MMO.

The game needs to be made up of cities. Not one city zoned off into pieces like CoH did (which was always dumb :p).

Make a full fledged city and give it a theme!

New York City & Los Angeles! Typical super hero setting.

Tokyo! Give it a more cyberpunk feel with a bit of magic girl setting perhaps.

Alien City! This is your Guardians of the Galaxy setting!

Atlantis! Underwater fantasy setting!

Montreal! Make this the center of the undead and mystical.

Ancient England! Travel to a past that includes such things as dragons and knights and imps!

This doesn't mean those cities will lack a hint of super hero in them, however it can give a different feel to things, while still catering to many different superhero conventions! Obviously they likely couldn't start off with all of these and make each city it's own content (so players could stay there to reach level 1-50 for example...or they could have their character jump around because of their own story path), but they could start with a few of them and then add the others as additional content!

Make the cities feel like the size of an actual city. Don't put up war walls, just put up a grey area border, which just stops the player from going outside the city. :p Maybe give it some sort of appearance besides just blackness though :p

That imo, would create a superhero mmo that feels like a super hero comic book setting, while giving players a place to start their varied super hero concepts! The theme of the Earth cities allow a show of how super powers changed things in different cities. Montreal may have some mutants, but it'd be the supernatural took more of a focus there for some reason (maybe to be explored in that cities story!).

They could even make it so you pick where you start (back to the idea of 1-50 for every city), but you can quickly move to the other city at even level 1 through some sort of plane ticket, teleportation or what have you. Just gained mutant powers and started you life in spandex when you're mystically taken to the LotR setting city! A hero out of place story is yours!

Greyhawk
Greyhawk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 18 hours ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 01/03/2015 - 19:17
Brand X wrote:
Brand X wrote:

The game needs to be made up of cities. Not one city zoned off into pieces like CoH did (which was always dumb :p).
Make a full fledged city and give it a theme!
New York City & Los Angeles! Typical super hero setting.
Tokyo! Give it a more cyberpunk feel with a bit of magic girl setting perhaps.
Alien City! This is your Guardians of the Galaxy setting!
Atlantis! Underwater fantasy setting!
Montreal! Make this the center of the undead and mystical.
Ancient England! Travel to a past that includes such things as dragons and knights and imps!
This doesn't mean those cities will lack a hint of super hero in them, however it can give a different feel to things, while still catering to many different superhero conventions! Obviously they likely couldn't start off with all of these and make each city it's own content (so players could stay there to reach level 1-50 for example...or they could have their character jump around because of their own story path), but they could start with a few of them and then add the others as additional content!
Make the cities feel like the size of an actual city. Don't put up war walls, just put up a grey area border, which just stops the player from going outside the city. :p Maybe give it some sort of appearance besides just blackness though :p
That imo, would create a superhero mmo that feels like a super hero comic book setting, while giving players a place to start their varied super hero concepts! The theme of the Earth cities allow a show of how super powers changed things in different cities. Montreal may have some mutants, but it'd be the supernatural took more of a focus there for some reason (maybe to be explored in that cities story!).
They could even make it so you pick where you start (back to the idea of 1-50 for every city), but you can quickly move to the other city at even level 1 through some sort of plane ticket, teleportation or what have you. Just gained mutant powers and started you life in spandex when you're mystically taken to the LotR setting city! A hero out of place story is yours!

I love this concept!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My author page at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B000APIPZC?ref_=pe_584750_33951330

notears
notears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/04/2013 - 17:24
dinosaurs

dinosaurs

Wolfgang8565
Wolfgang8565's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 10/31/2014 - 14:51
I was never a fan of pets. I

I was never a fan of pets. I want all the attention to be on me.

Halae
Halae's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 48 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/17/2014 - 09:37
Wolfgang8565 wrote:
Wolfgang8565 wrote:

I was never a fan of pets. I want all the attention to be on me.

I hate to say it, but that's not exactly relevant in the pet request thread, is it?

An infinite number of tries doesn't mean that any one of those tries will succeed. I could flip an infinite number of pennies an infinite number of times and, barring genuine randomness, they will never come up "Waffles".

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
Brand X wrote:
Brand X wrote:

Phararri wrote:
Cobalt Azurean wrote:
Phararri wrote:
That has never worked. Comic themed MMOs do not do well, but the movies do, go figure.
I don't believe this is accurate. Matt "Positron" Miller stated in his AMA on Reddit some time ago that going Buy-To-Play as their business model was very successful in regards to their cash flow. That's why, among other reasons, it came as such a surprise that NCSoft pulled the plug. Just because something isn't WoW doesn't mean it isn't doing "well".
Will they pull the plug on WoW? No way. There was something up, must likely that the fan base were unaware of. No sensible human being will pull the plug on something that was making a killing. DCU said the same thing about time capsules. They said it was the most successful thing they have done in terms of bringing in cash. Like most companies, Daybreak failed to disclose their current financial state. It could have been the most successful thing they have done in terms of cash flow, but how deep in the hole were they?
CoH was not a top tier mmo. Comic book mmmorpg are not mainstream, unless it is Marvel Heroes, to a lesser extent. The only way for these type of mmo can break into mainstream is if Marvel made a true mmorpg based in that universe. DC is like the B-list brand, nobody really cares about DC the way people they do Marvel.
The other way a comic theme mmo can break into the mmo mainstream is to incorporate a fantasy mentality. Comic theme games fail because they restrict themselves to a niche. When comic theme games stop worrying about what the small community of superhero fans think of their theme, they will break mainstream. As of now, they are catering to a very small niche audience.
There is a way to do all that and still make sense in the sense of a super hero MMO.
The game needs to be made up of cities. Not one city zoned off into pieces like CoH did (which was always dumb :p).
Make a full fledged city and give it a theme!
New York City & Los Angeles! Typical super hero setting.
Tokyo! Give it a more cyberpunk feel with a bit of magic girl setting perhaps.
Alien City! This is your Guardians of the Galaxy setting!
Atlantis! Underwater fantasy setting!
Montreal! Make this the center of the undead and mystical.
Ancient England! Travel to a past that includes such things as dragons and knights and imps!
This doesn't mean those cities will lack a hint of super hero in them, however it can give a different feel to things, while still catering to many different superhero conventions! Obviously they likely couldn't start off with all of these and make each city it's own content (so players could stay there to reach level 1-50 for example...or they could have their character jump around because of their own story path), but they could start with a few of them and then add the others as additional content!
Make the cities feel like the size of an actual city. Don't put up war walls, just put up a grey area border, which just stops the player from going outside the city. :p Maybe give it some sort of appearance besides just blackness though :p
That imo, would create a superhero mmo that feels like a super hero comic book setting, while giving players a place to start their varied super hero concepts! The theme of the Earth cities allow a show of how super powers changed things in different cities. Montreal may have some mutants, but it'd be the supernatural took more of a focus there for some reason (maybe to be explored in that cities story!).
They could even make it so you pick where you start (back to the idea of 1-50 for every city), but you can quickly move to the other city at even level 1 through some sort of plane ticket, teleportation or what have you. Just gained mutant powers and started you life in spandex when you're mystically taken to the LotR setting city! A hero out of place story is yours!

I like this

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Wolfgang8565
Wolfgang8565's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 10/31/2014 - 14:51
Halae wrote:
Halae wrote:

Wolfgang8565 wrote:
I was never a fan of pets. I want all the attention to be on me.
I hate to say it, but that's not exactly relevant in the pet request thread, is it?

It was a joke...

Nyktos
Nyktos's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/02/2014 - 16:07
Ghosts, moths, brainwashed

Ghosts, moths, brainwashed people, pirates, and so many more things.

Formerly known as Bleddyn

Do you want to be a hero?

My characters

Airhead
Airhead's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 23:38
Jellyfish!

Jellyfish!
Aerial ones, not aquatic ones sliming their way across the floor, waiting to be rescued by the tide.
Warshade-y energy jellyfish would be okay

"The illusion which exalts us is dearer to us than ten thousand truths." - Pushkin
"One piece of flair is all I need." - Sister Silicon

Cobalt Azurean
Cobalt Azurean's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 11 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 16:39
Airhead wrote:
Airhead wrote:

Jellyfish!
Aerial ones, not aquatic ones sliming their way across the floor, waiting to be rescued by the tide.
Warshade-y energy jellyfish would be okay

#Metroid

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 16 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
Airhead wrote:
Airhead wrote:

Jellyfish!
Aerial ones, not aquatic ones sliming their way across the floor, waiting to be rescued by the tide.
Warshade-y energy jellyfish would be okay

Wow. I was thinking the exact same thing.

I got the idea from looking at some of the FX in this video:


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
Wolfgang8565
Wolfgang8565's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 10/31/2014 - 14:51
Cobalt Azurean wrote:
Cobalt Azurean wrote:

Airhead wrote:
Jellyfish!
Aerial ones, not aquatic ones sliming their way across the floor, waiting to be rescued by the tide.
Warshade-y energy jellyfish would be okay
#Metroid

#ESO

Felpyre
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 04/26/2014 - 22:36
I'll be happy with dragons,

I'll be happy with dragons, demons, and Mythological Beasts

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
Take some pointers from

Take some pointers from Dungeon Defenders and get things like a giraffe on a treadmill and a treadmill on a treadmill.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 sec ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Little faries you can

Little faries you can customize. they would float and flit about. You could choose their looks, give them bat wings and even have an angel and a devil on either shoulder.

desviper
desviper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 59 sec ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
Junk, metal, air, fire, rock,

Junk, metal, air, fire, rock, etc golems ;)

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

Please have Scaling decals!

Avatar by MikeNovember

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 sec ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Hobbits. Santa's elves.

Hobbits. Santa's elves. design your own for a price.
NPC like news team with a camera and a reporter talking in a mike.
Groupies with hearts floating about the head.

Fireheart
Fireheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 9 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 13:45
Mastermind summons 3 Trolls

Mastermind summons 3 Trolls in Red Caps, 2 Gryphons, 1 Unicorn, and 'Gang War' is a million-billion... okay, only a hundred Blood Maddened Faeries with Pickaxes to swarm your enemies!

Be Well!
Fireheart

Amerikatt
Amerikatt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 day ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/27/2013 - 08:54
Customizable kittens!

Cute, customizable, costumed kittens!

Just a cat from another star!
Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 46 min 38 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
Amerikatt wrote:
Amerikatt wrote:

Cute, customizable, costumed kitten girls!

Fixed for you :)

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
Brand X wrote:
Brand X wrote:

Amerikatt wrote:
Cute, customizable, costumed kitten girls!
Fixed for you :)

Kitten girls? At least wait till they're grown up cat girls... How long does it take a cat girl to grow up anyway?

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Super M.
Super M.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 9 hours ago
Joined: 11/19/2017 - 08:16
I want minions that duplicate

I want minions that duplicate my costume so I can finally make a multiple man hero.

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
Super M. wrote:
Super M. wrote:

I want minions that duplicate my costume so I can finally make a multiple man hero.

Can else get power aesthetics that make copies of ourselves too? AoEs that are just copies of the character attacking around the area, a line of them to punch a bad guy for a ranged attack, etc.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 16 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
The following link is to a

The following link is to a one-episode show on Crunchyroll. It seems to be a Christmas special of sorts.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/sorcery-in-the-big-city

I'm posting it here because it would be a great example for a one-pet Commander. I can imagine making a TCPD officer with an awesome superpowered sidekick. And, well, because it's December.

I have three active guest passes for Crunchyroll. Each is good for 48 hours once you activate it. First come, first served:
SSJZTBUD37M
QZH9HAG4VVV
SJM3B8BKFYT


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 46 min 38 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
Project_Hero wrote:
Project_Hero wrote:

Brand X wrote:
Amerikatt wrote:
Cute, customizable, costumed kitten girls!
Fixed for you :)
Kitten girls? At least wait till they're grown up cat girls... How long does it take a cat girl to grow up anyway?

I thought someone might take it there. ;p Think of it as a cute nickname. "These are my kittens."

Amerikatt
Amerikatt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 day ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/27/2013 - 08:54
Brand X wrote:
Brand X wrote:

Project_Hero wrote:
Brand X wrote:
Amerikatt wrote:
Cute, customizable, costumed kitten girls!
Fixed for you :)
Kitten girls? At least wait till they're grown up cat girls... How long does it take a cat girl to grow up anyway?
I thought someone might take it there. ;p Think of it as a cute nickname. "These are my kittens."

*raises her left forepaw and asks for first dibs*

Just a cat from another star!
Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
Here's a pet idea... BEES!!!

Here's a pet idea... BEES!!!

Super Villain right there.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Kiyori Anoyui
Kiyori Anoyui's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 9 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/10/2013 - 11:03
Malamute puppy please :3

Malamute puppy please :3

The Carnival of Light in the Phoenix Rising
"We never lose our demons, we only learn to live above them." - The Ancient One

Avatar by lilshironeko

Kiyori Anoyui
Kiyori Anoyui's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 9 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/10/2013 - 11:03
Cats with idle animations

Cats with idle animations where they "transform" into cardboard boxes :3

The Carnival of Light in the Phoenix Rising
"We never lose our demons, we only learn to live above them." - The Ancient One

Avatar by lilshironeko

Redlynne
Redlynne's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 21:15
(No subject)


Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.
RolandGrey
RolandGrey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
kickstarter
Joined: 06/13/2017 - 21:01
I want little fat bears.

I want little fat bears.

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 sec ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Giant floating fists usable

Giant floating fists usable as props for massive melee, and purchasable as pets, just like this:

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
Been awhile; 2018

Been awhile; 2018

Maybe we are closer to seeing some more pet in action.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

BiotopeZ
BiotopeZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/04/2016 - 10:29
Suggestion: Friendly little

Suggestion: Friendly little tooth fairies, like the one that's my forum picture.

Seriously. Dark twisted versions of fairy tail creatures are always fun.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 16 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
BiotopeZ wrote:
BiotopeZ wrote:

Dark twisted versions of fairy tail creatures are always fun.

For some reason, this idea really appeals to me.

I can picture tinkerbell with a devious smile and a vicious fishhook instead of a wand.

... or an undead garden gnome who drools black sludge and trails the deadly ichor in his footsteps,


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
Amerikatt
Amerikatt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 day ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/27/2013 - 08:54
After launch, I hope to see

After launch, I hope to see both large and small cats, of all stripes!

Just a cat from another star!
Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 sec ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
fro mage and mystic

fro mage and mystic characters: a floating skull. It hovers over your shoulder and acts as a firing point. It shoots beams of energy from its eyes and mouth.

and there is an option to surround it with an aura

blacke4dawn
blacke4dawn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2015 - 03:02
Amerikatt wrote:
Amerikatt wrote:

After launch, I hope to see both large and small cats, of all stripes!

What do you have against spots?

As for minions, some simple "constructs" (magic, scientific, steampunk, whatever) of varying geometric shapes like sphere tetrahedron cube octahedron and so forth.

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
http://cityoftitans.com

http://cityoftitans.com/comment/91057#comment-91057

"Either way it is our hope to allow for a wide range of customization to summons sets. And it should go without saying but "nothing is set in stone" in this regard yet."

Been gone for awhile until a week or two ago. Any news on this? Still on the slate? Would be cool to have some control over your crew. If there is a 2018 release date, to what extent can players customize followers if they can?

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

syntaxerror37
syntaxerror37's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 5 days ago
Joined: 08/24/2013 - 11:01
The normal stuff:

The normal stuff:
Robots
Wolves
Robot Wolves
Wolf Robots

-----------------------------------------
I never set anything on fire accidentally!

The Titan Legacy - Defender of the Inner Flame

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 31 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Huckleberry wrote:
Huckleberry wrote:
BiotopeZ wrote:

Dark twisted versions of fairy tail creatures are always fun.

For some reason, this idea really appeals to me.

I can picture tinkerbell with a devious smile and a vicious fishhook instead of a wand.

Goth Tinkerbell for the win!

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
I still want huge summons

I still want huge summons hehe. I just feel like there is more potential in these. Controllable pets are great and a staple in MMOs. Imo, controllable pets are not meant for every creature.

One thing I hated about Dragon Prophet and WoW is how your pets drastically shrinks when you capture it. The triceratops in WoW go from the size of a monster truck, to a German Shepard. Imo, controllable pets works great with lions, bears, etc, but things like dinosaurs just looks forced. I would really like a T-rex, but if he is the size of my neighbor, meh, nvm......Just my opinion.

The female striker in BDO has a summon able pet iirc.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
The trouble with giant pets

The trouble with giant pets is enclosed spaces. Which the options to handle it are: keep it's normal size and allow it to clip through everything and generally be in the way, shrink it down so inside areas aren't a problem, or have it be normal size outside and shrink when going inside.

None of these options seem all that great. When it comes to pets I hope we might be able to have them at least as large as a player character can be. While it'd be great to have something like this:

It's probably not in the cards.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 16 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
Not that I expect us to

Not that I expect us to capture anything in-game and make it a pet. (Although how cool would that be!?) But if we did capture that big robot Project_Hero is riding in the above post. Perhaps maybe it is only its hand that crawls around with us, instead of the entire robot. Or maybe it's head, on roller skates.


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
Huckleberry wrote:
Huckleberry wrote:

Not that I expect us to capture anything in-game and make it a pet. (Although how cool would that be!?) But if we did capture that big robot Project_Hero is riding in the above post. Perhaps maybe it is only its hand that crawls around with us, instead of the entire robot. Or maybe it's head, on roller skates.

I think that being able to capture things to use as pets isn't very super hero (although a mind control powerset will likely do this for a short duration).

I would like to be able to customize a huge single pet for use as a minion user though. Maybe with a power to make your minion grow in size and power!

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Fireheart
Fireheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 9 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 13:45
One way I've seen the 'huge

One way I've seen the 'huge pet/robot' thing handled is with a waifish Anime costume and a transformation into a second costume with max-size and other combat features. I've regularly suggested a 'trainer' version of the Mastermind/Commander, where the Player summons a single large pet. The 'trainer' provides support for 'Franken-Rocky' and helps direct it in combat.

Be Well!
Fireheart

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 16 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
Project_Hero wrote:
Project_Hero wrote:

I think that being able to capture things to use as pets isn't very super hero (although a mind control powerset will likely do this for a short duration).

True. But it is a very super villain thing to do. Just look at the last few issues of Hijinx.


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
Redlynne
Redlynne's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 21:15
Fireheart wrote:
Fireheart wrote:

One way I've seen the 'huge pet/robot' thing handled is with a waifish Anime costume and a transformation into a second costume with max-size and other combat features.


Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.
Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
Project_Hero wrote:
Project_Hero wrote:

The trouble with giant pets is enclosed spaces. Which the options to handle it are: keep it's normal size and allow it to clip through everything and generally be in the way, shrink it down so inside areas aren't a problem, or have it be normal size outside and shrink when going inside.

None of these options seem all that great. When it comes to pets I hope we might be able to have them at least as large as a player character can be. While it'd be great to have something like this:

It's probably not in the cards.

Yeah, I know & agree, hence I mentioned summons.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Kiyori Anoyui
Kiyori Anoyui's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 9 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/10/2013 - 11:03
What if you were an ant

What if you were an ant controlling the giant in its brain, or just tiny in the cockpit located in the brain area

The Carnival of Light in the Phoenix Rising
"We never lose our demons, we only learn to live above them." - The Ancient One

Avatar by lilshironeko

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
Kiyori Anoyui wrote:
Kiyori Anoyui wrote:

What if you were an ant controlling the giant in its brain, or just tiny in the cockpit located in the brain area

Then the best thing to do would make the larger of the beings the character and the smaller the pet.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Lin Chiao Feng
Lin Chiao Feng's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Developerkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/02/2013 - 09:27
Could go the other way... a

Could go the other way... a normal-sized giant with a tiny pilot...

Has anyone seen my mind? It was right here...

jtpaull
jtpaull's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 01/27/2015 - 15:00
It would be cool to see a

It would be cool to see a character creator, FAR down the road, just for pets. Perhaps you pick the base style (human, robot, animal, etc) and then you get to customize it more...? Certain areas might be locked depending on the base style...like size and dimensions, but color, proportions, individual aspects like replacing a normal human sidekick arm with a robot arm, etc. might be 'editable'. That would be cool.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 16 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:Could go
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:

Could go the other way... a normal-sized giant with a tiny pilot...

That's my idea for trap spider!

A normal-sized spider bites a radioactive scientist and get his corresponding intelligence and lifespan. Naturally the spider's instinct to construct traps and hunt prey remains and the spider ends up building a robot it rides upon and controls. I'm planning on using the devices powerset..

I just hope you guys give is spiders as shoulder pets. So I can make a robot with a spider as its shoulder pet.


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.

Pages