Announcements

Watch this space for important information on planned twitch streams, updates and more

Pet request thread

118 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 34 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
jtpaull wrote:
jtpaull wrote:

It would be cool to see a character creator, FAR down the road, just for pets. Perhaps you pick the base style (human, robot, animal, etc) and then you get to customize it more...? Certain areas might be locked depending on the base style...like size and dimensions, but color, proportions, individual aspects like replacing a normal human sidekick arm with a robot arm, etc. might be 'editable'. That would be cool.

Being able to make pets of all sorts of sizes/shapes would be cool at some point.

But I have an idea I've been suggesting for years that could be done relatively easily assuming the CoT Devs decide to do it. The idea is basically a customizable "sidekick vanity pet".

First of all this would be limited to just using the exact same male and female body models the players will use. No need to worry about implementing any extra non-humanoid body models (like dogs, spiders, or the like). Each of these "pets" would have a costume slot (again like PCs use) and it could be designed using the same character creator used by players. Once created the "pet" would be like any other vanity pet power that would work exactly like vanity pets worked in CoH.

The advantage of all this is that these pets would not need anything beyond what's already going to be in the game. They wouldn't really need to create anything "extra" for these pets. In a nutshell they'd be vanity pets with a player customizable costume slot.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

blacke4dawn
blacke4dawn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2015 - 03:02
Huckleberry wrote:
Huckleberry wrote:
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:

Could go the other way... a normal-sized giant with a tiny pilot...

That's my idea for trap spider!

A normal-sized spider bites a radioactive scientist and get his corresponding intelligence and lifespan. Naturally the spider's instinct to construct traps and hunt prey remains and the spider ends up building a robot it rides upon and controls. I'm planning on using the devices powerset..

I just hope you guys give is spiders as shoulder pets. So I can make a robot with a spider as its shoulder pet.

You know, if you are going to be really true to the trope then a radioactive scientist would have to bite the spider for it to work. :P

Wraith_Shadow
Wraith_Shadow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/18/2015 - 14:46
-Shadow everything.

-Shadow everything. Shadowlings of all kinds would be an awesome addition, even if it means that it's just a shadowed skin that can be placed on any existing pet. If they managed this, it would extend out to other elemental pets as well.

-Me. well... not ME persay but weaker versions of me. It would be nice to be able to have my current look as a pet option for builds like Multiple Man powers or for Loki style misdirections. STO has a thing like this called the shard of possibilities, and a similar thing in champions for one of it's villains.

-Alts. This one seems more like it would be a summon or special item/power but it would be amazing to have the ability to summon alts to help out during combat and emergency situations.

Crimsonomen20
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 days ago
Joined: 01/19/2018 - 17:54
My wish list for pets I think

My wish list for pets I think is pretty vast. I want all sorts of things; supernatural creatures, robots, drones, shadows, psionic projections. multiple man powers, animals, thugs, mercs, ninjas, aliens . Basically, if it looks like it could be a pet, I'd want it. n a couple of other threads, people have talked about using Giant Gloves of Various Designs for their aesthetic . I'd like to use either a pair of them as a summoned creature, or a bunch of them.

I'd like to use Knights, clad in full plate with various designs. You could say you pulled them from another dimension, or they're magic constructs, video game code. you're mind controlling them etc.

I want the attack powers to be able to be like swarms; Instead of dark Blast in CoH, instead you say you shoot out a swarm of venomous snakes, or locusts, or spiders. Saying that, I doubt doable for launch, I'd insects of Large Size, Spiders, Snakes, Rats, all of various size and possible origins.

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
I thought pet customization

I thought pet customization was planned already? That is some AAA stuff though. SoH cannot even get pets into the game until later. I think it will take a triple A mmo to do it, which would also open the door for player body type variations.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

McJigg
McJigg's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/06/2016 - 05:14
I want to see just how heroic

I want to see just how heroic I can make a full on Necromancer.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 34 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
McJigg wrote:
McJigg wrote:

I want to see just how heroic I can make a full on Necromancer.

I suppose a character who strictly only raised people from the dead who were the innocent victims of murders or people who died from pure accidents might be considered "heroic" to some degree. Just because -most- necromancers are considered evil doesn't mean they -all- have to be evil. ;)

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Redlynne
Redlynne's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 9 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 21:15
McJigg wrote:
McJigg wrote:

I want to see just how heroic I can make a full on Necromancer.

Your PC was murdered ... and now you're back ... but not for Vengence. No, what you want is ... Justice ... for yourself and all the other victims of your murderer (and there's a LOT of you!) and now you have the power to be able to do it.

Trouble is ... FINDING whoever murdered you in this City of Titans.

/em roll opening titles


Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.
Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 20 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
You're actually a
McJigg wrote:

I want to see just how heroic I can make a full on Necromancer.

You're actually a correctional officer from Purgatory. You have been given the power to use volunteer souls serving time in purgatory who can get an early release to the Pearly Gates if they jump into a corpse here on earth and do whatever you tell them to do. Consider it kind of a chain gang, and you're the shotgun weilding, sunglasses wearing, badass HMFIC.


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 26 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
McJigg wrote:
McJigg wrote:

I want to see just how heroic I can make a full on Necromancer.

You always wanted to be a hero. Dreamed of it. You saw you favorite hero on the news and wanted to be just like that hero. Then while making out with your girlfriend/boyfriend in the graveyard at night (the only alone place perhaps) you're both murdered by a depraved psychopathic serial killer who just happened to catch you both alone and you both matched his preferred victim profile.

Left for dead watching the light of your loves eyes fading from reality, the only thing you craved was to get revenge for your love and justice for what was done. Mutant powers activating, maybe it was the graveyard or just coincidence but you arose with the standard fare of powers of greater strength, agility, speed, endurance, regeneration, but also the ability to summon the dead...only problem is...you can't feel your own heart beating...O.O;;

desviper
desviper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 21 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
I'm definitely firmly on

I'm definitely firmly on "necromancers are not inherently evil".

E.g., a hero/vigilante raises the dead to combat paramilitary groups or similar large-scale threats.

Maybe zombies are a bit more morally grey than say robots, but I tend to think they're just another tool.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

Please have Scaling decals!

Avatar by MikeNovember

Halae
Halae's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 8 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/17/2014 - 09:37
Assuming you're not twisting

Assuming you're not twisting souls, I see no reason why raising a corpse would actively be evil. It's just dead flesh at that point; you could reanimate a cow and while it'd be gruesome, it'd probably have the same capacity for thought as a human corpse.

An infinite number of tries doesn't mean that any one of those tries will succeed. I could flip an infinite number of pennies an infinite number of times and, barring genuine randomness, they will never come up "Waffles".

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 20 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
I think the Necromancers

I think the Necromancers being evil thing is the default setting because the corpses are animated by something.
If all you were doing is making a non-living thing move, it would be far more feasible to create manikins and animate them than it would be to go through all the trouble of obtaining human corpses.
And if there is a limitation in your lore that requires whatever is animated to be a previously living body, then there are two issues with it. The first has to deal with the fact that the corpse was a person at one point. I know I would not like it if someone animated my dead relative's body and sent it into combat to further his or her own aims; no matter how good those aims may be. The second is there are other formally living flesh options much better suited to combat. Forms with natural weapons like dogs, bulls, bears and tigers, which would be far more acceptable and more easily obtained than human corpses.

So that leaves us with why use human corpses...
it must be because there is something specific about the forces which are used to animate them and the association those forces have with the previous use of the body. In other words, necromancers are evil because they deal with human spiritual energy.

But that brings us back to if there is a facet to this that could possibly be good.

I think there could be. If we assume that the human spiritual energy is forced to act under the will of the necromancer, then that is evil no matter how you slice it. But if you allow the provision that the necromancer is merely the means that allows human spiritual energy to to re-animate a corpse, then the necromancer then becomes just a facilitator and maybe a pit crew for the spirit and body. Then it is easy to picture a necromancer who only works with spirits who are good or who also have noble motivations such as justice or whatnot.

So, in light of this, a good necromancer would have to be a necromancer who contacts the dead, gives them a taxi service into a corpse they can use, and then supports them somehow; all the while trying to make sure he or she is not being lied to by a nefarious spirit who wants to take advantage of him or her enter our world.


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
You can't really raise the

You can't really raise the dead and not be considered evil. At absolute best with that you are still messing with a corpse, which probably has loved ones and what not.

The best possible way I could see this working is if the necromancer in question was more like the Specter. They'd be a mystical entity who'd show up soon after someone has died to allow that person to get vengeance or justice or what have you. So they'd need to arrive there before cops and such.

For a truely good necromancer, one who doesn't do anything that most would object to, would be one who doesn't animate corpses at all. One who uses their abilities to speak to the dead, I could see such a person working for the police. Probably keeping the ability a secret.

"This was a mob hit."
"How do you know?"
"Just a hunch."

End up being like a detective show where they already know who done it but would need to find evidence to prove the case, and get justice for the victim.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 34 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
I think most of the "hangup"

I think the traditional "hangup" people have with necromancy is it that involves people doing things with dead people/bodies that most think should only be doable by God alone (regardless of what version of god/higher power you apply here). Even when you don't complicate things like throwing "souls" into the mix the idea of making dead bodies move again or talking to people who are dead tends to cross the line of what's taboo to most modern religions. I suspect even many atheists would consider the application of necromancy to be relatively "rude" to the dead bodies.

Again like I said before I think there are ways to practice necromancy that mitigate the basic negativity against it but it's always going to looked upon as potentially "questionable" even under the best of circumstances. There's a reason why Frankenstein was such a sensational story for its day because despite the good doctor's noble intentions it challenged the conventional wisdom that a mere man could tinker with things that only the divine should control.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
Well, there are ppl whom do

Well, there are ppl whom do bad things which deem their acts heroic, or due to their disdain for a party or nation. They may do it for political reasons/shock value, Radicals.

Also, you can look back at all the notorious villains throughout American history. Some lived with or cared for their parents, had moments of moral behavior, even behaved as normal civilians at times. Rodney Acala actually went on a game-show and won iirc. However, there was always a dark-side.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

desviper
desviper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 21 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
I dig the lore argument, but

I dig the lore argument, but I'm not on the "other options are better" side: humans are, well, pretty damned common :p Bears and Tigers are a bit more tricky.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

Please have Scaling decals!

Avatar by MikeNovember

skameykin22
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 4 days ago
Joined: 04/14/2018 - 22:56
desviper wrote:
desviper wrote:

I dig the lore argument, but I'm not on the "other options are better" side: humans are, well, pretty damned common :p Bears and Tigers are a bit more tricky.

Interesting opinion.

skameykin22

notears
notears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 56 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/04/2013 - 17:24
tiny drones like the robots

tiny drones like the robots in the incarnate systems lore tree, or like Mr Terrfic's T orbs.

dreamcatcher
dreamcatcher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 19 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/03/2013 - 17:12
I want (and I've not read the

I want (and I've not read the previous posts, so I apologise for duplicates):

  • ghost-like apparitions or lost souls
  • imp-like cannibal dudes, like any man-eating tribe from Bugs Bunny or like the dudes from D2 and D3
  • pumpkin men ala jack o' lantern
  • floating masks
  • Will o' wisps
  • faeries, but like the old school cruel and fickle Sidhe, not Disney's Tinkerbell
  • devil hounds/ demon dogs
  • Undead Skeleton pirates and dogs/ parrots
  • suits of armour and swords
  • puppets on strings
  • toys
  • teacups and saucers
  • bunny rabbits.. with sharp and pointy teeth
  • cats and brooms
  • books (whirlwinds) and books stacked to create human-shapes
  • golems (could cover the books one too)
  • Hats (and beards), but mostly hats, on invisible people
  • elongated stick men of human size and smaller or taller
  • Balls. Big and small.
  • Flocks of birds
  • Elemental humanoids and animals (this is probably covered to death)
  • Hordes.. all the hordes
  • Bodiless heads
  • Clowns
  • Sludges and slimes
  • Kobolds
  • Aliens and Zerglings because Zergs
  • Rats
  • Plant people / living vines / little shop of horrors
  • biker mice... on bikes
  • Robo-cats that combine or a power-rangers style thing
  • Cyborg-racoons or other animals that have been experimented on
  • Vampires, ghouls and bats
  • Were-creatures
  • Giant fruit
  • Flying monkeys
  • Anthropomorphic chairs and tables Disney style
  • Computer men ala Superman 3 or Johnny 5

.. and that's probably enough for now.

of Phoenix Rising
Am I

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
Free floating eye ball(s)

Free floating eye ball(s)

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

jtpaull
jtpaull's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 15 hours ago
Joined: 01/27/2015 - 15:00
I want a big cat category..

I want a big cat category...ok, really I just want Guen. Let's see how close the chargen can let me get to Drizzt.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 9 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Amerikatt...kitty with a cowl

Amerikatt...kitty with a cowl and a cape. Nuff said

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
So there will probably be a

So there will probably be a char gen builder players can toy while they wait for CoT, as well as a minion builder for pets. Expectations or hopes?


The ability to arm them with cosmetic options like a mask, helmet, chest armor, etc. I am talking aesthetic parts made specially for them, even if there are not a ton of them like the players may have.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

desviper
desviper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 21 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/10/2014 - 00:55
Was in a theater to see

Was in a theater to see Incredibles (awesome movie), and the trailers for AXL and Bumblebee played back-to-back and my friend was like "they're the same movie"

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

Please have Scaling decals!

Avatar by MikeNovember

Phararri
Phararri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 20:08
LMAO

LMAO

Your sig is truth by the way, DCUO comes to mind.

As a child, I thought my name was handsome, cause that is what everyone called me.

Player2
Player2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 08/13/2018 - 05:11
I'm really hoping for

I'm really hoping for customizable pets. Penguin's henchgirls were always a favorite of mine.

IMAGE(https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5b/62/93/5b62931f2483c76bfcf19d744420434f.gif)

I'd want to make an old school hero style along the lines of The Shadow in costuming, surrounding himself with able (but sexy) women who do much of the heavy lifting, because he knows women kick ass.

Pages