Just finished Season three of Ultraman, and it reminded me of Season two as well. In it there are some really good ideas that can be used for City of Titans.
- Season 2 had an alien species that needed to take the lives of humans in order to survive. The various alignments of the ultramen came into play with how they reacted to this news:
- Vengeance - Destroy the aliens to avenge all the human lives they've taken
- Justice - Kill or Capture the aliens, make an example of them publicly.
- Compassion - let the aliens escape and be free to continue what they are doing here or on some other planet
- Compromise - work with the aliens to figure out how to live together
Of course, there are other details that can be worked in, for instance, what if all the human lives they've taken were merely put into suspension like a larder for future consumption and that can all be recalled back none the worse for it? What if they had been unwitting dupes in a scheme to support some other villains even more nefarious schemes?
The aliens don't even need to be aliens. What if they were vampires or some other earth-based parasite that had been here on earth all along?
Such fertile ground.
- Season 3 was a plot to destroy the reputation of the heroes. With the CoT reputation system, this could be an interesting game mechanic turned into a plot:
- Someone is posing as your character and ruining your reputation with whatever faction your character has its highest reputaion with. Eventually you face off against this poser... or do you? maybe you join forces for a greater reward.
- If your character is a "hero" or "vigilante" there could be a reporter who writes stories all about the collateral damage caused by your actions. Your reputation takes serious hits with all "heroic" factions, but maybe some of the "anarchy" faction repuations see a raise. Do you try to silence the reports? Maybe the reporter is staging things to make you look poorly, or maybe someone else is? What do you do about it?
- If your character is a "scoundrel" or "villain" there could be someone doing good in your name. Allies of yours are showing up on the steps of police stations with your name on them. As a result, your network of informants dries up and you discover there are contracts out on you. Do you take this opportunity to live up to your new reputation as a good guy? Do you try to find out who is framing you and restore your reputation? ...or do you up the violence making sure that no matter what people may think, they should fear you foremost, perhaps sacrificing the reputation lost, but gaining reputaion with different faction(s).?
The ideas just flow...
what are your ideas?
I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.