Announcements

WE HAVE RESERVES! Check out this week's Tech Update here.

City of Titan's first official novelette has been released. Check it out!

Don't forget to leave update ideas or other feedback in our FAQ Feedback thread.

So, Diablo: Immortal

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
warlocc
warlocc's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 17 sec ago
Developerkickstarter
Joined: 09/20/2013 - 16:38
So, Diablo: Immortal

I don't really want to get going on the actual game, but if you missed it, here it is: Blizzard announced a new Diablo sequel, Diablo: Immortal. It's a game made by a company that makes mobile cash shop "games". It even looks like a reskin of one of said cash shops.

A quick google search can show you what a mess it is. Even the fans at BlizzCon were calling them out and embarrassing them.

Anyway, the whole fiasco got me thinking. Blizzard made truly amazing games 10, 20 years ago. The original people in the company were gamers, they played their own games and truly enjoyed it. Since then, most of those people have left the company. Blizzard is filled with shareholders and corporate executives that don't play games at all, they just hire generic game coders to generate cash machines for them. At least, that's what it seems like.

My actual point is this; the best games are the ones made by people that are passionate about their game, that actually play their game because they wanted to make something better than what they were playing already. Because of this, I have high hopes for City of Titans. Hopefully what happened to Blizzard won't ever happen to MWM.

PR Team, Forum Moderator, Live Response Team

Hero_Zero
Hero_Zero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/20/2015 - 11:54
Agree emphatically.

Agree emphatically.

"THE TITANS ARE COMING! THE TITANS ARE COMING!"

Tannim222
Tannim222's picture
Offline
Last seen: 32 min 47 sec ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 01/16/2013 - 12:47
I’m sorry but one of my close

I’m sorry but one of my close friends works at Blizzard, has worked there for almost 2 decades now, and has multiple teams he over sees.

He and his people are hard workers, usually working over 40 hours a week. Many, himself included, are also on call to be ready to assist or direct sudden issues that may come up. Whenever there is an expansion to WoW or other bug updates to a game, my friend and his teams will easily out in 80 hours a week. Sometimes over several months.

Having known him’ met several co-workers of his, and know what he goes through to hire on new people, I entiely disagree with your assessment of who works at Blizzard.


I don't use a nerf bat, I have a magic crowbar!
- Combat Mechanic -
Tech Team.
Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
I don't know anyone who works

I don't know anyone who works there and totally think the OP is wrong in their assessment.

The people getting upset over Diablo: Immortal, just aren't thinking.

I wasn't a fan of Diablo III. Just something about it. However, I LOVED LOVED LOVED Diablo II. There was only one game that pulled me away from Diablo II and that was some silly little game called...CITY OF HEROES! :)

Now, just because Blizzard made such games, does not mean, "They only want money!" Which, they're a big business, so yes, they want money and lots of it.

However, look at the market out there. I've known many many MANY people who will play games on their phone all day and yet would never call themselves a gamer. In fact, they'd ridicule those who play console/pc games as losers and wasting their time, while never thinking that about anyone who happens to be playing a game on their phone (or hell even FB games).

Blizzard is tapping a different market of game players, which may or may not attract those who know the franchise.

Radiac
Radiac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/19/2013 - 15:12
From what I heard, what had

From what I heard, what had happened was that Blizzard said they had a big Diablo announcement they were going to make (either at Blizzcon or during the coverage of the Overwatch tournament, I forget) and a lot of people assumed/believed it was going to be Diablo IV. Then the announcement happens and the announcement is that they have a new Diablo game that's a cell phone app. The game is reportedly a pretty thinly-veiled reskin of an existing "pay-to-win" cell phone game and people boo the announcement mercilessly, AS THEY SHOULD, for various reasons. Apparently the Blizzard guy's reaction to the booes was "What, don't you people have cell phones?"

I'm not denigrating the hard work that people put into games at Blizzard. I play Overwatch now and I enjoy it for what it is. But this was an epic failure on the part of their marketing and upper management in terms of what the announcement was and when it was made, and frankly the game itself is low-hanging-fruit garbage, from what people who looked at it have said. This was not some Herculean labor of love effort on the part of the hard-working programmers and creative people to make a brand new game, it was closer to a reskin of an existing game with a Diablo theme, or so I'm told. I'm not going to tell people to cheer a terrible pay-to-win game just to be polite. The head honchos that green-lit that game project and made the decision to market it as such made a major miscalculation there and they should listen to the booes and manage things differently in the future or be replaced with people who will, in my opinion.

And look, this is me talking here, I'm the guy that wanted to monetize TFs, if you recall. I'm not AGAINST making money. I don't hate Blizzard for being the 900lb gorilla of the PC game industry. I don't begrudge anyone wanting to make a successful product and sell it for money to people who enjoy it. But when the business people in charge cut too many corners and try to many cash-grabs, people have a right to express their disappointment in the new game they were excitedly awaiting when it falls flat.

Of course, they (Blizzard) should have seen this reaction coming. There's known precedent for this sort of thing happening throughout entertainment history.

Jack Black (actor and leader of the band Tenacious D) once told a story about the worst time he ever got anything thrown at him while he was playing music on stage doing a concert. He said that the organizers of the event realized that they could get more ticket sales money if they told the customers that the band was a surprise with teasers that it contained famous people, was well known, had a hit single, etc than they would if they just told people who the bad was. People want to find out who the mystery band is, etc. It builds hype for the event. So the gig was advertized as such. The event happens, the curtain is raised and it's...... Tenacious D!!! .... and over half the people start booing and throwing stuff at the band, because they thought it was going to "be a band I actually like/have heard of" Jack Black's telling of the story was like "so they apparently bought the tickets to this mystery band show thing believing 'It's totally going to be the Stones, or somebody, like it's probably ZEPPELIN with a new drummer, right?!?!" and then Tenacious D was a HUGE let down from what they had imagined they were going to get.

R.S.O. of Phoenix Rising

Tannim222
Tannim222's picture
Offline
Last seen: 32 min 47 sec ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 01/16/2013 - 12:47
The rumor was a big Diablo

The rumor was a big Diablo announcement. People jumped to the conclusion that it was Diablo 4.
Before Blizzcon a tweet from blizzard went out to temper expectations. People summarily ignored it caught on the hype train.

Blizzard was prepping a video at the time related to Diablo 4 but not for use at Blizzcon. Diablo 4 is still being worked on. It is in variaousnstages of development. People have actually play tested the game. It could end up gettin scrapped (that happens in development plenty of times). But if all goes well, it will happen. I’d so, we may here more about it next year.


I don't use a nerf bat, I have a magic crowbar!
- Combat Mechanic -
Tech Team.
Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
A year or two ago, I made a

A year or two ago, I made a post about how storytelling in WoW had gone away and the game just catered to the raiding crowd anymore. I mentioned how Kevin Siembieda of Palladium Books had once gone to Blizzard for a lecture on storytelling a long long time ago before they had given up on storytelling I must sit here and go on record as being wrong. By all accounts, the storytelling of their latest expansion Battle for Azeroth is some of their best yet.

I left WoW about 7 years ago because I thought it was on its way out. It looks like I was wrong about that as well.


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
Interdictor
Interdictor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/22/2013 - 05:26
Blizzard made a slight

Blizzard made a slight miscalculation in my humble opinion. Your big Diablo-related announcement at Blizzcon, made in front of a crowd of hardcore PC gamers, is for a mobile game? I'm really not surprised at the reaction (though the death threats are completely out of line). One of the presenters saying something along the lines of "what you guys have phones don't you?" didn't really help matters. They really misjudged their audience.

If they had announced that they are working on an actual next installment in the Diablo franchise I think it would have gone over a bit better - kind of like "hey, while you are waiting for Diablo 4 to be released, we have this little mobile game we are doing on the side."

It might turn out to be a fun game, and successful for them too. I have no intention of playing it (I'd sooner replay Diablo 1-3 or Path of Exile), but it might be a big hit with the mobile gaming crowd.

Interdictor
Interdictor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/22/2013 - 05:26
Huckleberry wrote:
Huckleberry wrote:

I mentioned how Kevin Siembieda of Palladium Books had once gone to Blizzard for a lecture on storytelling.

Huh I didn't know that - that's kind of cool.

Fireheart
Fireheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 19 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 13:45
I quit WoW for the Community

I quit WoW for the Community and landed in the City, which was so much better!

Be Well!
Fireheart

Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
Interdictor wrote:
Interdictor wrote:

Blizzard made a slight miscalculation in my humble opinion. Your big Diablo-related announcement at Blizzcon, made in front of a crowd of hardcore PC gamers, is for a mobile game? I'm really not surprised at the reaction (though the death threats are completely out of line). One of the presenters saying something along the lines of "what you guys have phones don't you?" didn't really help matters. They really misjudged their audience.

If they had announced that they are working on an actual next installment in the Diablo franchise I think it would have gone over a bit better - kind of like "hey, while you are waiting for Diablo 4 to be released, we have this little mobile game we are doing on the side."

It might turn out to be a fun game, and successful for them too. I have no intention of playing it (I'd sooner replay Diablo 1-3 or Path of Exile), but it might be a big hit with the mobile gaming crowd.

I think many could agree that may have been the better way to go with it.

Leowyld
Leowyld's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/09/2018 - 10:49
To be specific, the booing

To be specific, the booing didn't happen with the announcement of the game itself. It came when, during the Q&A, it was said there were no plans for a PC port. This is why the guy responded to the booing with "don't you have phones?"

I'm not a big fan of mobile games and would be much, much more likely to try Immortal if it did have a PC port. That said, I think there was much overreaction through social media and the situation doesn't deserve the sort of overall venom it has received.

Then again, I'm generally a fan of Blizzard, too. I've played WoW on and off for 13+ years and enjoy a number of their other properties.

warlocc
warlocc's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 17 sec ago
Developerkickstarter
Joined: 09/20/2013 - 16:38
Tannim222 wrote:
Tannim222 wrote:

I’m sorry but one of my close friends works at Blizzard, has worked there for almost 2 decades now, and has multiple teams he over sees.

He and his people are hard workers, usually working over 40 hours a week. Many, himself included, are also on call to be ready to assist or direct sudden issues that may come up. Whenever there is an expansion to WoW or other bug updates to a game, my friend and his teams will easily out in 80 hours a week. Sometimes over several months.

Having known him’ met several co-workers of his, and know what he goes through to hire on new people, I entiely disagree with your assessment of who works at Blizzard.

Is he upper management? Making decisions on what to do with games? Made the call to announce a mobile pay to win reskin in front of a crowd of PC gamers? Probably isn't who I'm complaining about.

Radiac wrote:

From what I heard, what had happened was that Blizzard said they had a big Diablo announcement they were going to make (either at Blizzcon or during the coverage of the Overwatch tournament, I forget) and a lot of people assumed/believed it was going to be Diablo IV. Then the announcement happens and the announcement is that they have a new Diablo game that's a cell phone app. The game is reportedly a pretty thinly-veiled reskin of an existing "pay-to-win" cell phone game and people boo the announcement mercilessly, AS THEY SHOULD, for various reasons. Apparently the Blizzard guy's reaction to the booes was "What, don't you people have cell phones?"

I'm not denigrating the hard work that people put into games at Blizzard. I play Overwatch now and I enjoy it for what it is. But this was an epic failure on the part of their marketing and upper management in terms of what the announcement was and when it was made, and frankly the game itself is low-hanging-fruit garbage, from what people who looked at it have said. This was not some Herculean labor of love effort on the part of the hard-working programmers and creative people to make a brand new game, it was closer to a reskin of an existing game with a Diablo theme, or so I'm told. I'm not going to tell people to cheer a terrible pay-to-win game just to be polite. The head honchos that green-lit that game project and made the decision to market it as such made a major miscalculation there and they should listen to the booes and manage things differently in the future or be replaced with people who will, in my opinion.

And look, this is me talking here, I'm the guy that wanted to monetize TFs, if you recall. I'm not AGAINST making money. I don't hate Blizzard for being the 900lb gorilla of the PC game industry. I don't begrudge anyone wanting to make a successful product and sell it for money to people who enjoy it. But when the business people in charge cut too many corners and try to many cash-grabs, people have a right to express their disappointment in the new game they were excitedly awaiting when it falls flat.

Bingo.

PR Team, Forum Moderator, Live Response Team

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
A bunch of Gamers over

A bunch of Gamers over reacting?

Activision Blizzard making a mobile game that will likely be a pay to win cash grab stuffed to the brim with micro transactions?

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."