Announcements

Join the ongoing conversation on Discord: https://discord.gg/w6Tpkp2

Please read the current update for instructions on downloading the latest update. Players with Mac versions of the game will not be affected, but you will have a slightly longer wait for your version of the new maps. Please make a copy of your character folder before running the new update, just to make sure you don't lose any of your custom work.

It looks like we can give everyone a list of minimum specs for running City of Titans. Please keep in mind that this is 'for now' until we are able to add more graphics and other system refinements. Currently you will need :
Windows 10 or later required; no Intel integrated graphics like UHD, must have AMD or NVIDIA card or discrete chipset with 4Gb or more of VRAM
At least 16GB of main DRAM.
These stats may change as we continue to test.

To purchase your copy of the City of Titans Launcher, visit our store at https://store.missingworldsmedia.com/ A purchase of $50 or more will give you a link to download the Launcher for Windows or Mac based machines.

Just War (2016 Memorial Day RP)

102 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kartanian
Kartanian's picture
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
"No, I've got it, this time,"

"No, I've got it, this time," Sheena replied with a weary smile at Whipcrack. "Though if you all could keep Hotwire in check, I'd appreciate it. I think she may already be on Themis' list."

The winged heroine turned to the goddess. "All right, Themis... Ares... To what do we owe the challenge of your visit? And, how can I convince you to stop the collateral damage?"

The robed goddess turned to her companion and said, "See? I told you she would understand."

Ares shrugged. "Themis says that justice is out of balance in this Titan City. A war between the villains will set things right again." He glanced at Themis dubiously. "Or, so she insists."

"And so the regular humans suffer the fallout from this artificial war?" Sheena shook her head in disbelief. "How is that just?"

Themis responded, "That is neither just nor injust. It is merely the way things are. Besides, I wanted to demonstrate to Ares what a 'just war' could be like."

"It feels very artificial, and sterile," the god of war grumbled. "I know war, and this is not war! It's mind control! There is no true passion here! No real conflict! It is just made up."

"Then, has your experiment run long enough, Themis? Could you please end it so we can get the city cleaned up again? We can't make you do anything, of course--it's all up to you--but a lot of people would certainly appreciate a little mercy folded in with the justice."

The goddess appeared to be wavering. She glanced down at the streets below. "It is inefficient, this way...."

A Wing and a Prayer, A Strong, Strong Wind, All Forests are One, Power Struggles - Venture City metahuman novels in the spirit of City of Heroes and other comic book superhero fiction. (http://bit.ly/sdpbooks)

RottenLuck
RottenLuck's picture
D-day nodded "I agree with

D-day nodded "I agree with Ares. Besides how can it be justice if it's forced? No offense but I would not be here now if it wasn't for a just war. Many men died stopping the Nazis they will do so again if given the opportunity. Because it was a just war." For a moment he wondered if Ares had a bigger hand in his powers then just random chance.

-------------------------------------------
Personal rules of good roleplay
1.) Nothing goes as planned.
2.) If it goes as planned it's not good RP

Foradain
Foradain's picture
The Duchess chuckled a bit.

The Duchess chuckled a bit. "Wasn't expecting to be agreeing with Ares. Athena is more my taste in War Gods. But he's right, it's not a just war down there, it's just mind control." Her voice took on a harsh tone. "Slavery. The villains down there aren't even at fault for this, Themis. You are. Stop this now."

Officer Kowalski pulled out her radio. "Please, Themis. I'd rather not have to tell a judge I want a warrant for the arrest of a Goddess of Justice. But I will do my duty."

Foradain, Mage of Phoenix Rising.
Foradain's Character Conclave
Avatar courtesy of Satellite9 Irezoomie

Xselcier
Xselcier's picture
"Agreed. There is nothing

"Agreed. There is nothing just or right about this, Lady Themis. Release your control of the villains and let us do our job as heroes." he said, his eyes darting to Hotwire. "Well, most of us..."

Putting yourself in another persons shoes emotionally is something that everyone has to experience eventually. It's part of learning to be a human being. Roleplayers do it for fun.

RottenLuck
RottenLuck's picture
Hotwire took note of the look

Hotwire took note of the look "Hey I'm here because it's Unjust. How is a bunch of people going berserk in a public, er semi-public place destroying people property just? At least a quarter of the so-called Villains became such to get justice, or maybe revenge when the system failed them. Very few Villains don't have a tragic back story. Cheated, lied, tricked, or all out nearly killed and the Law either can't or won't do something about it so they took it into their own hands."

Kartanian
Kartanian's picture
The goddess of justice

The goddess of justice sneered at that. "Yes, nearly every villain thinks himself a poor, misunderstood victim with no choice in having become what he is. If you want to talk justice, let's talk about the multitudes who bore their suffering without resorting to harming others. Or gave their bodies and lives to defend others. A tragic story never justifies the choice to do wrong."

She turned to Sheena and the other heroes and explained, "No, all I had to do was to focus the hostility of these Titan City villains. They picked their own targets, made up their own justifications, and chose their own actions. Ares merely made it all happen at once to make it a war...." She sighed and shrugged. "You're right, though. This doesn't stand up to some of those other wars of liberation. Let's finish it." She waved her hand dramatically and sparkling silver motes of light followed her gesture. The sparkles seemed to drift down through the roof of the Lexar building toward the ground below.

"There. Back to unfocused avarice, lust, sloth, and so on." She glanced over at Ares, who nodded. "Without such focus, their own 'better natures' will direct them again. And that means that heroes will be needed."

Sheena chuckled dryly. "Still, we've already got a whole lot of them caught and in processing."

"Let Justice be done!" Themis intoned with a smirk. Then, she turned her eye on Hotwire again. "And your little pirate network will carry the message. Justice matters in this city, and there are many who will proudly deliver it!"

A Wing and a Prayer, A Strong, Strong Wind, All Forests are One, Power Struggles - Venture City metahuman novels in the spirit of City of Heroes and other comic book superhero fiction. (http://bit.ly/sdpbooks)

RottenLuck
RottenLuck's picture
Hotwire looked around "Okay

Hotwire looked around "Okay trouble settled. A group of heroes standing around that are primed for a fight, and I'm the only villain about. Time for my exit stage left." With that the armor body dropped revealing an electrical form that in a woman shape right before she leaped/bolted into the power lines. The Bots and Drones she created dropped to the ground like puppets that had their strings cut. Sure enough, Whipcrack was right she left them as they are. The body armor fell as well just loose forcefield emitters and projectors.

D-Day face palmed. "Okay, was that grand theft auto, destruction of private property, or reclass endangerment? I have no doubt those bots she made have weaponry of some type and she just dumped them on the street." He then looked to Dutchess "I think I heard her say something like you could capture her earlier or is it already to late?"

Kartanian
Kartanian's picture
Gayle snickered. "That's it,

Gayle snickered. "That's it, a villain's sense of self-preservation!"

Themis remarked, "I would apologize for the mess, but mortals are made stronger through adversity. Titan City will become better prepared for the next time something big and unexpected happens. You will also find that there are no more than very minor injuries among the bystanders. I was looking out for at least that much. Farewell!" With a tilt of her head to Ares, she vanished.

The god of war grumbled. He looked at Sheena. "At least you'll have your war, soon, Shanikali. It's unavoidable, now that you've set yourself against the Dark Court of Faerie."

She shook her head. "That wasn't entirely by choice, but it has to be done, and there is no one else who can pick up that burden."

"The final battle will be here, in the city."

The winged hero raised a slender eyebrow. "You know that already?"

Ares shrugged and almost smiled. "Has to be. Both sides want it, there is plenty of innocent blood to spill or protect, and everything is moving toward that end. On the faerie side, it's Evermore."

Sheena looked a question at him. Ares chuckled. "You'll find out, goddess. You're lucky you don't need human worshipers to maintain your power."

"There is that," she admitted. "So, what will you do now?"

He sighed and stretched. "It's the mortals' 'Memorial Day.' A decent little holiday. I'll bask in the glow, and then get back to 'work.'" He turned to the rest of the heroes still assembled. "Fight to win! Whether it's with honor or savagery, only the struggle will bring victory. The losers are fit to be remembered, but they will make no more history."

Foradain
Foradain's picture
"All but reckless

"All but reckless endangerment; there's no one down there to get hurt." The Duchess looked over the parking lot at the wreckage, and tossed three fire-suppression grenades on the places where fires were about to start. "Not sure if she knew that, though... Too late this time, unless I wanted to risk killin' her. Next time I see her, though, I'll have a trap or three ready to try; I got a lotta data on her powers to look over. And if the bad guys are scurrying back to their holes, I think it's time to get back to some celebratin'. If you care to join us, we're headed out to Deer Fall Park." She tipped her hat as she started up her grav cycle, and flew off to the northeast.

Foradain
Foradain's picture
Kowalski pulled out her phone

Kowalski pulled out her phone and left a message. "Hi, Mom and Dad. Heather here. Yes, I'm fine, but if that Cat comes around, you know the one I mean, let him know I need to talk to him, police officer to knight of the summer court. Thanks, hope your day was less interesting than mine, bye!"

Kartanian
Kartanian's picture
Sheena glanced over at Gayle.

Sheena glanced over at Gayle. The singer shrugged as she floated above the rooftop. Sheena turned and nodded to the god of war. "Thanks, Ares. If you can lend any aid to the heroes, I'm sure we would all be grateful."

"I will be here for your battle, but everything else depends on how true they are and what they offer. As usual." He raised his fist to his chest. "Until we meet again, Shanikali!"

"Farewell, Ares," she replied. "Good hunting."

Ares vanished in a rust-tinted shimmer of light. The winged huntress turned to the others. "Thank you all for your help and support. I would like to return the favor. If you need anything I can do for you--at the FBSA or otherwise--please contact me. Gayle?"

"All set, Sheena! See you at the concert!"

Sheena sighed. "If I can get the paperwork done in time, of course." She waved once more to the heroes and launched herself off the roof of the Lexar building.

"Paperwork, pssht!" Gayle Force laughed lightly. "I'm so glad I'm just a normal, everyday mutant rock star! No paperwork for me! We've still got plenty of time left to clean up before sunset, and it's still Memorial Day. Let's make it a day worth remembering! And good to see you, Whipcrack, D-Day!"

She flew off with a wave to the others; one more Memorial Day saved.

----- end -----

Pages