This is a continuation of the IP release form for volunteers on City of Titans as was originally started on the Titans forums and then on our old forums. (See here: http://missingworldsmedia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=399)
As volunteers naturally come and go, we don't want someone's 'going' to mean we lose access to their contributions, which, at the time, were intended for the game and the company. And so we ask volunteers to sign this form allowing us to use your intellectual contributions for as long as there is a game/company.
Please copy and past what follows between to the following two lines in this thread, or email to our HR manager, Mentalshock at
If you don't give your real name, please email it to Mentalshock.
I, [name, or (name on file)], also known as [forum handle], release my contributions on these boards under the Plan Z:The Phoenix Project/Missing Worlds Media/City of Titans Contributor License except where I expressly state otherwise on this date of [put today's date].
The full terms follow:
This is a bit larger than a lot of other licenses of this nature to allow more flexibility for contributors but still keep it narrowly focused on the Phoenix Project.
It's usage is simple. On these boards simply make a statement like this, "I , also known as , release my contributions on these boards under the Plan Z:The Phoenix Project Contributor License except where I expressly state otherwise on this date of ." This will give license to the project to use any of the creator's works placed on these boards, or otherwise contributed from that point on.
A contributor can also state "I , also known as , release my contributions on these boards under the Plan Z:The Phoenix Project Contributor License, Section(s) except where I expressly state otherwise."
If you are not comfortable posting your legal name in a public forum, you may PM me with a copy of the release signed with your legal name and post the release signed with your forum name in this thread. This information will be used strictly confidentially, and will not be revealed without your permission except to our Business Manager, Terwyn. I will keep records of this and confirm receipt of each instance of this.
For a specific contribution simply state that you are: applying the license to this product only, applying a specific section of the license to that product only, or withdrawing permission for the product to be used under the license.
Of course you can completely withdraw from the license as well.
The format of any of these statements simply has to identify you uniquely, state what you are doing and that it is you doing it. and when you are doing it. Just like a contract or a will. "I do this now". ;D
Plan Z:The Phoenix Project Contributor License
Copyright (c) 2012
All rights reserved
The terms "the board", "the boards", "the forum", or "the forums" shall refer to the set of electronic bulletin boards hosted by the Titan Network, originally for discussion of issues primarily related to the NCSoft electronic game "City of Heroes" and its derivative products or any other medium of submission that may be used by a contributor or designated by Missing Worlds Media, Inc. Additionally these terms also include any electronic bulletin boards, or other media hosted by Missing Worlds Media, Inc.
The terms "Plan Z: The Phoenix Project", "the Plan", "the Project", or "the Phoenix Project" shall refer to the the project by that name created on the board for the purpose of creating a legal analog and replacement to CoX plus any supportive instruments including, but not limited to, marketing and promotional materials, derivative works, a business or other managing organization, and any legal construction necessary to the distribution of this product.
The term "Design Committee" shall presently refer to Missing Worlds Media, Inc., and any other persons or organizations who has been established in the managing role of the project and determines the final form of it or anything related to it.
The terms "software, "contribution", "intellectual property", or "IP" shall mean any unique software, artistic creation, computer data structure, character, story arc, or other creative element posted through these forums or submitted by any other channel approved by Missing Worlds Media, Inc.and has had license granted by those lawfully able to do so for incorporation and use in Phoenix Project to the degree such license is permitted.
The term "contributor" shall mean any person or organization who provides intellectual property to Phoenix Project, is legally permitted to do so, and is able to grant any and all necessary legal permissions and restrictions for its use by the Project under this license.
This license will not come into affect until the final revision and vetting by a legal professional. Until such time the license will have the version identifier "Preliminary"
The Design Committee may make such changes, modifications, or alterations to this license as need except to allow the retrospective or retroactive application of such changes or to prevent the tracking of such changes. Any changes, modifications, or alterations of this licenses shall be made as amendments clauses to the original and be dated.
Any such changes to this license shall also be reflected in the name of the license by appending the word "Version" and a sequential number beginning with "2". Any release under this license may refer to the specific version by referring to this version and number. If this number is either "1", or a reference to a specific version is omitted, the release is under the original form of the license.
All contributors acknowledge that this is an interim license and that this license will be edited to provide greater legal protection for all volunteer contributors and Missing Worlds Media.
All contributions made under any previous title shall remain as such as part of any revised title. Any such changes will not alter any previous release under this license.
Redistribution of any contributions under this license in source and in binary forms, with or without modifications, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistributions in source form must include the above copyright notice, this list of conditions, the list of contributors and their contributions along with any specific restrictions on any such intellectual property set by that contributor, and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must include the above copyright notice, this list of conditions, the list of contributors and their contributions along with any specific restrictions on any such intellectual property set by that contributor, and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. That such redistributions in any form do not violate any restrictions set by the contributors. It is the responsibility of any distributor to track any licensing restrictions.
This license only applies to submissions made through the sections of these boards designated by the Design Committee for such contributions, those items that a contributor expressly states is under this license elsewhere, and other such channels as by be designated by the Design Committee.
Any contributor that releases intellectual property under this license grants the Design Committee irrevocable, non-exclusive license to use solely for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project unless the conditions titled "SUNSET" are met upon which any licensing meeting such conditions is revoked. Additionally, any such contributor grants to the Design Committee the following under that license with regards to those contributions except where the contributor has set restrictions against such by condition that release under one or more of the sections of this license:
* To duplicate, modify or alter as needed and to assign any such work to any person or person to accomplish this.
* To use for promotional or marketing purposes in connection Phoenix Project.
* To use such contributions in any product derived from Phoenix Project.
* To derive any income and, if the Design Committee sees it proper or necessary, to distribute that revenue in all or part to any person or organization, including any original contributor or contributors, but at no time will such action imply any obligation to do so outside of any contract, statute, or judicial ruling.
Each contributor under this license reserves and retains full control over their IP except where they have relinquished such under this license, and may use or modify such in any manner they see fit. Each contributor retains any copyright they may have over their contribution except where they expressly waive or assign it to any other person or organization. This copyright is independent of any other person or organization.
In any conflict or controversy over the meaning or intent of this license the contributors desires or intent must be considered over that of any distributor or re-distributor.
Any rights not expressly released under this license are reserved by each contributor with regards to their submissions made under it.
The following conditions must be met before any rights under this license are revoked.
* A contribution has not been used in the Phoenix Project in a manner that has substantially contributed to its development in a period of time of no less than three years.
* All distributions of Phoenix Project are no longer in use for a period of no less than two years.
These sections only apply when a contributor indicates them in a release.
1. No use of any contributions under this section may be distributed to any other person outside the use and control of the Design Committee. These contributions are not considered open-source or permitted entry into the public domain.
2. No direct fees or charges may be collected, nor may direct income be derived in the use or distribution of any contributions under this section. This does not prohibit any earnings resulting for the sale or distribution of any package that includes these contributions.
3. No contributions under this section may be used for any marketing or promotional purpose.
4. No modifications nor alterations of any contributions under this section are permitted by any person or organization. Additionally such contributions may only be duplicated to the degree needed for the purpose of backups, discussion, or other actions permitted under fair use.
5. The Design Committee may only distribute any revenue from the use of any contributions under this sections with the direct, explicit permission of the contributor, and in the manner that all parties agree is fit and proper.
EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR BY LAW OR JUDICIAL RULING, THIS SOFTWARE AND OTHER COMPONENTS ARE PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE OR OTHER COMPONENT, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
The views and conclusions contained in the software, contributions, and documentation are those of the authors and contributors and should not be interpreted as representing official policies, either expressed or implied, of the Plan Z: Phoenix Project, or of the Design Committee.
Online Community Manager & Forum Moderator