Announcements

Please do not use Photobucket to host your images on this site. They will not appear for other users but instead will give an error image and a directive to go to:
http://photobucket.com/p500/
For these images to show up it would require us to pay a premium account fee of $399.00 USD/year or our users to set up paid accounts of $99/year for this service to view these images.
We will be removing all linked images to that site and we suggest you use https://imgur.com/ or other similar site instead.

Watch this space for important information on planned twitch streams, updates and more

The Gunner Class

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 42 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
The Gunner Class

Now, I know they said this would come later and not at the start...however, I really think it would be a good idea to start with at least the Dual Pistol version of this class :)

We need this!

I need this!

I want this!

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Hmmm, wasn't dual pistols a

Hmmm, wasn't dual pistols a stalker class?

Amerikatt
Amerikatt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/27/2013 - 08:54
Aside from police officers

Aside from police officers and soldiers, hero(in)es do *NOT* need guns!

If they cannot control their powers/talents/skills or do not have access to high-tech gadgets, then they should stay home and let the professionals do their jobs!

*hides under the couch and waits for a random passerby to ... um ... pass by!*

*SWIPE!!!*

Just a cat from another star!
Lin Chiao Feng
Lin Chiao Feng's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 20 hours ago
Developerkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/02/2013 - 09:27
Cyclops wrote:
Cyclops wrote:

Hmmm, wasn't dual pistols a stalker class?

Blasters, corruptors, and defenders.

Has anyone seen my mind? It was right here...

TitansCity
TitansCity's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 47 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 02:09
Hum... so my "dazzler" could

Hum... so my "dazzler" could maybe use this class :) But i don't need a gun, i need fingers ! ^^ could "fingers" be considered as guns ?? :/

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
TitansCity wrote:
TitansCity wrote:

Hum... so my "dazzler" could maybe use this class :) But i don't need a gun, i need fingers ! ^^ could "fingers" be considered as guns ?? :/

Yes! The devs confirmed that for me a while ago. asthetic decoupling would allow you to fire machine guns from just your pointed finger!

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:

Cyclops wrote:
Hmmm, wasn't dual pistols a stalker class?
Blasters, corruptors, and defenders.

thank you.
I am really getting in the mood right now and dual pistols is one set i must play!

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Cyclops wrote:
Cyclops wrote:

Yes! The devs confirmed that for me a while ago. asthetic decoupling would allow you to fire machine guns from just your pointed finger!

Cyclops wrote:

I am really getting in the mood right now and dual pistols is one set i must play!

Wow, talk about a joke that almost writes itself:

I realize that the chances of getting "power emanation points" as depicted in this GIF are practically nil but I suspect people will still be seriously asking for this (along with the ever-predictable groin option).

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Redlynne
Redlynne's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 22 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 21:15
People are forgetting

People are forgetting something important here.

You say Dual Pistols ... but thanks to aesthetic decoupling, that doesn't have to be a pair of pistols in your avatar's hands. It could be a pair of magic wands. It could be a pair of shoulder pets used as emanation points. It could be a pair of wrist bracers projecting forces. It could be the Austin Powers "battle bra" that Lothic has so kindly provided an animate gif of. It could be all kinds of different things.

So calling such a powerset Dual Pistols would be a mistake, even though that's the name of the powerset we all remember (more or less) from City of Heroes.

A broader and more accurate description of the powerset would be Ranged Dual Wielding, to make it distinctive from Melee Dual Wielding as a powerset, and there could even be an Assault Dual Wielding for the hybrid melee/ranged version of the powerset. That way, WHAT is being dual wielded is left unspecified, rather than nailing it down to PISTOLS only.


Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.
Tannim222
Tannim222's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 28 min ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 01/16/2013 - 12:47
Redlynne wrote:
Redlynne wrote:

People are forgetting something important here.
You say Dual Pistols ... but thanks to aesthetic decoupling, that doesn't have to be a pair of pistols in your avatar's hands. It could be a pair of magic wands. It could be a pair of shoulder pets used as emanation points. It could be a pair of wrist bracers projecting forces. It could be the Austin Powers "battle bra" that Lothic has so kindly provided an animate gif of. It could be all kinds of different things.
So calling such a powerset Dual Pistols would be a mistake, even though that's the name of the powerset we all remember (more or less) from City of Heroes.
A broader and more accurate description of the powerset would be Ranged Dual Wielding, to make it distinctive from Melee Dual Wielding as a powerset, and there could even be an Assault Dual Wielding for the hybrid melee/ranged version of the powerset. That way, WHAT is being dual wielded is left unspecified, rather than nailing it down to PISTOLS only.

Any duel wieilding is purely aesthetic. Any ranged set could potentially use the animations.


I don't use a nerf bat, I have a magic crowbar!
- Combat Mechanic -
Tech Team.
Redlynne
Redlynne's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 22 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 21:15
(No subject)


Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.
TitansCity
TitansCity's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 47 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 02:09
Cyclops wrote:
Cyclops wrote:

TitansCity wrote:
Hum... so my "dazzler" could maybe use this class :) But i don't need a gun, i need fingers ! ^^ could "fingers" be considered as guns ?? :/
Yes! The devs confirmed that for me a while ago. asthetic decoupling would allow you to fire machine guns from just your pointed finger!

Youhou !! \o/

*look for a time machine*

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Redlynne wrote:
Redlynne wrote:

A broader and more accurate description of the powerset would be Ranged Dual Wielding... that way, WHAT is being dual wielded is left unspecified, rather than nailing it down to PISTOLS only.

Redlynne wrote:

It could be the Austin Powers "battle bra" that Lothic has so kindly provided an animate gif of. It could be all kinds of different things.

It could be all kinds of different things within the limits of the options they provide of course. If the Devs provide say a dozen different emanation points those will be the specific choices we'll have to choose from and technically limited to.

Which leads us to wondering just how diverse the choices will end up being. This is going to be one of those classic Pandora's box things - as soon as you give players a proverbial inch of freedom (in this case some choices over emanation points) they're going to ask for a mile. While my Austin Powers Fembot "battle bra" example is earnestly meant to be a "joke" in this context I seriously expect people -will- ask for things like that sooner or later.

P.S. The true irony with the "battle bra" idea is knowing for a fact that without any natural "body physics" being implemented in this game they would actually make for relatively stable weapons' platforms. ;)

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Tannim222
Tannim222's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 28 min ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 01/16/2013 - 12:47
Lothic wrote:
Lothic wrote:

Redlynne wrote:
A broader and more accurate description of the powerset would be Ranged Dual Wielding... that way, WHAT is being dual wielded is left unspecified, rather than nailing it down to PISTOLS only.
Redlynne wrote:
It could be the Austin Powers "battle bra" that Lothic has so kindly provided an animate gif of. It could be all kinds of different things.
It could be all kinds of different things within the limits of the options they provide of course. If the Devs provide say a dozen different emanation points those will be the specific choices we'll have to choose from and technically limited to.
Which leads us to wondering just how diverse the choices will end up being. This is going to be one of those classic Pandora's box things - as soon as you give players a proverbial inch of freedom (in this case some choices over emanation points) they're going to ask for a mile. While my Austin Powers Fembot "battle bra" example is earnestly meant to be a "joke" in this context I seriously expect people -will- ask for things like that sooner or later.
P.S. The true irony with the "battle bra" idea is knowing for a fact that without any natural "body physics" being implemented in this game they would actually make for relatively stable weapons' platforms. ;)

We have a limit on the number of possible emanation points connected to the body.


I don't use a nerf bat, I have a magic crowbar!
- Combat Mechanic -
Tech Team.
Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 42 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
Amerikatt wrote:
Amerikatt wrote:

Aside from police officers and soldiers, hero(in)es do *NOT* need guns!
If they cannot control their powers/talents/skills or do not have access to high-tech gadgets, then they should stay home and let the professionals do their jobs!
*hides under the couch and waits for a random passerby to ... um ... pass by!*
*SWIPE!!!*

However, foci that look like guns that channel the heroines more offensive powers is just an awesome idea :p

Of course, one could have a gun and be highly professional.

Safehouse
Safehouse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 46 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 10/15/2013 - 12:03
Tannim222 wrote:
Tannim222 wrote:

Lothic wrote:
Redlynne wrote:
A broader and more accurate description of the powerset would be Ranged Dual Wielding... that way, WHAT is being dual wielded is left unspecified, rather than nailing it down to PISTOLS only.
Redlynne wrote:
It could be the Austin Powers "battle bra" that Lothic has so kindly provided an animate gif of. It could be all kinds of different things.
It could be all kinds of different things within the limits of the options they provide of course. If the Devs provide say a dozen different emanation points those will be the specific choices we'll have to choose from and technically limited to.
Which leads us to wondering just how diverse the choices will end up being. This is going to be one of those classic Pandora's box things - as soon as you give players a proverbial inch of freedom (in this case some choices over emanation points) they're going to ask for a mile. While my Austin Powers Fembot "battle bra" example is earnestly meant to be a "joke" in this context I seriously expect people -will- ask for things like that sooner or later.
P.S. The true irony with the "battle bra" idea is knowing for a fact that without any natural "body physics" being implemented in this game they would actually make for relatively stable weapons' platforms. ;)
We have a limit on the number of possible emanation points connected to the body.

Is there a rough idea yet as to what that limit is? Does that limit include emanation points that are not necessarily part of the body (a la raven that shoots lasers), or do those points have a limit separate from the body limit?

Name: Safehouse
Magical Ranger - Gunner
Primary: Force Blast
Secondary: Invulnerability
Tertiary: Super Strength
Travel Power: Parkour
Status: Traveling. Following rumors of a huge city in Massachusetts that is teeming with supers.

Safehouse
Safehouse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 46 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 10/15/2013 - 12:03
Tannim222 wrote:
Tannim222 wrote:

Lothic wrote:
Redlynne wrote:
A broader and more accurate description of the powerset would be Ranged Dual Wielding... that way, WHAT is being dual wielded is left unspecified, rather than nailing it down to PISTOLS only.
Redlynne wrote:
It could be the Austin Powers "battle bra" that Lothic has so kindly provided an animate gif of. It could be all kinds of different things.
It could be all kinds of different things within the limits of the options they provide of course. If the Devs provide say a dozen different emanation points those will be the specific choices we'll have to choose from and technically limited to.
Which leads us to wondering just how diverse the choices will end up being. This is going to be one of those classic Pandora's box things - as soon as you give players a proverbial inch of freedom (in this case some choices over emanation points) they're going to ask for a mile. While my Austin Powers Fembot "battle bra" example is earnestly meant to be a "joke" in this context I seriously expect people -will- ask for things like that sooner or later.
P.S. The true irony with the "battle bra" idea is knowing for a fact that without any natural "body physics" being implemented in this game they would actually make for relatively stable weapons' platforms. ;)
We have a limit on the number of possible emanation points connected to the body.

Is there a rough idea yet as to what that limit is? Does that limit include emanation points that are not necessarily part of the body (a la raven that shoots lasers), or do those points have a limit separate from the body limit?

Name: Safehouse
Magical Ranger - Gunner
Primary: Force Blast
Secondary: Invulnerability
Tertiary: Super Strength
Travel Power: Parkour
Status: Traveling. Following rumors of a huge city in Massachusetts that is teeming with supers.

Amerikatt
Amerikatt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/27/2013 - 08:54
Brand X wrote:
Brand X wrote:

However, foci that look like guns that channel the heroines more offensive powers is just an awesome idea :p
Of course, one could have a gun and be highly professional.

You are right about professionalism. The Shadow was both professional *and* methodical and did an excellent job of ridding New York City of Naughty Spawns!

I just do not want to see Punisher-level gun violence become the norm. There are *other* games for that.

However, it is not my place to dictate how other players play. Amerikatt will simply live in her little world of sunshine and butterflies and fight the good fight!

Just a cat from another star!
Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Tannim222 wrote:
Tannim222 wrote:

We have a limit on the number of possible emanation points connected to the body.

Obviously. The problems with the Pandora's Box I was talking about is being sprung on you, the Devs, not us the Players.

Safehouse wrote:

Is there a rough idea yet as to what that limit is? Does that limit include emanation points that are not necessarily part of the body (a la raven that shoots lasers), or do those points have a limit separate from the body limit?

Whatever the "limit" is there's always going to be at least one player who'll want one more. ;)

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Safehouse
Safehouse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 46 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 10/15/2013 - 12:03
Lothic wrote:
Lothic wrote:

Tannim222 wrote:
We have a limit on the number of possible emanation points connected to the body.
Obviously. The problems with the Pandora's Box I was talking about is being sprung on you, the Devs, not us the Players.
Safehouse wrote:
Is there a rough idea yet as to what that limit is? Does that limit include emanation points that are not necessarily part of the body (a la raven that shoots lasers), or do those points have a limit separate from the body limit?
Whatever the "limit" is there's always going to be at least one player who'll want one more. ;)

I'm liable to be that one player. Gimme my pinky toe nail lasers!

Make infinite emanation so I just turn into a glowing ball of lasers shooting every which way!

Name: Safehouse
Magical Ranger - Gunner
Primary: Force Blast
Secondary: Invulnerability
Tertiary: Super Strength
Travel Power: Parkour
Status: Traveling. Following rumors of a huge city in Massachusetts that is teeming with supers.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Safehouse wrote:
Safehouse wrote:
Lothic wrote:

Whatever the "limit" is there's always going to be at least one player who'll want one more. ;)

I'm liable to be that one player. Gimme my pinky toe nail lasers!
Make infinite emanation so I just turn into a glowing ball of lasers shooting every which way!

This was the point I was trying to make with Tannim: The more options players get the more they tend to want. It's the classic slippery slope practically every game slides into. Obviously there will always be limits to what's possible - that should literally go without saying. But today's limits are always tomorrow's opportunities.

Frankly as silly as it sounds if enough players demanded "pinky toe nail lasers" then at the very least the Devs would have to seriously consider it. That's actually how quite a few "silly" things that were added to CoH over the years got added in the first place.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Tannim222
Tannim222's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 28 min ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 01/16/2013 - 12:47
Lothic wrote:
Lothic wrote:

Safehouse wrote:
Lothic wrote:
Whatever the "limit" is there's always going to be at least one player who'll want one more. ;)
I'm liable to be that one player. Gimme my pinky toe nail lasers!
Make infinite emanation so I just turn into a glowing ball of lasers shooting every which way!
This was the point I was trying to make with Tannim: The more options players get the more they tend to want. It's the classic slippery slope practically every game slides into. Obviously there will always be limits to what's possible - that should literally go without saying. But today's limits are always tomorrow's opportunities.
Frankly as silly as it sounds if enough players demanded "pinky toe nail lasers" then at the very least the Devs would have to seriously consider it. That's actually how quite a few "silly" things that were added to CoH over the years got added in the first place.

You can please some people some of the time, you can never please everyone all the time.

Tech has limits, not everyone can or will accept that. We can only add so many sockets (emanation points) to a skeleton.


I don't use a nerf bat, I have a magic crowbar!
- Combat Mechanic -
Tech Team.
MeSoSollyWan
MeSoSollyWan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 35 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/18/2014 - 00:54
Lothic wrote:
Lothic wrote:

Safehouse wrote:
Lothic wrote:
Whatever the "limit" is there's always going to be at least one player who'll want one more. ;)
I'm liable to be that one player. Gimme my pinky toe nail lasers!
Make infinite emanation so I just turn into a glowing ball of lasers shooting every which way!
This was the point I was trying to make with Tannim: The more options players get the more they tend to want. It's the classic slippery slope practically every game slides into. Obviously there will always be limits to what's possible - that should literally go without saying. But today's limits are always tomorrow's opportunities.
Frankly as silly as it sounds if enough players demanded "pinky toe nail lasers" then at the very least the Devs would have to seriously consider it. That's actually how quite a few "silly" things that were added to CoH over the years got added in the first place.

Like the godawful "Walking" emote...

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Tannim222 wrote:
Tannim222 wrote:

You can please some people some of the time, you can never please everyone all the time.

Tech has limits, not everyone can or will accept that. We can only add so many sockets (emanation points) to a skeleton.

Why do you keep saying things like this even when I keep agreeing with you? How many times do I have to say that OBVIOUSLY your body model skeletons only have so many emanation points?

I always love to be lectured on "basic computer engineering principles" as someone who's only been a computer engineering professional for nearly 20 years. *sigh*

You know for the record the only times I actually seriously "disagree" with you is when I KNOW you're simply spinning Devspeak bullshit.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
MeSoSollyWan wrote:
MeSoSollyWan wrote:

Like the godawful "Walking" emote...

lol I actually not only liked the CoH Walking emote but I never even personally asked for it.

It was unfortunate that they couldn't figure out a way to make that part of the basic movement scheme of the characters (the Devs of the time explained they couldn't get all the combat animations to work correctly with it) but it was better than not having a Walk mode at all.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Tannim222
Tannim222's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 28 min ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 01/16/2013 - 12:47
Lothic wrote:
Lothic wrote:

Tannim222 wrote:
You can please some people some of the time, you can never please everyone all the time.
Tech has limits, not everyone can or will accept that. We can only add so many sockets (emanation points) to a skeleton.
Why do you keep saying things like this even when I keep agreeing with you? How many times do I have to say that OBVIOUSLY your body model skeletons only have so many emanation points?
I always love to be lectured on "basic computer engineering principles" as someone who's only been a computer engineering professional for nearly 20 years. *sigh*
You know for the record the only times I actually seriously "disagree" with you is when I KNOW you're simply spinning Devspeak bullshit.

My statement was not meant to refutive.

I always try to be as clear and honest as I possibly can in all situations in life. I have do not intionally "spin" anything. Sometimes I can only say so much which is not "spinning".


I don't use a nerf bat, I have a magic crowbar!
- Combat Mechanic -
Tech Team.
Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 42 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
Amerikatt wrote:
Amerikatt wrote:

Brand X wrote:
However, foci that look like guns that channel the heroines more offensive powers is just an awesome idea :p
Of course, one could have a gun and be highly professional.
You are right about professionalism. The Shadow was both professional *and* methodical and did an excellent job of ridding New York City of Naughty Spawns!
I just do not want to see Punisher-level gun violence become the norm. There are *other* games for that.
However, it is not my place to dictate how other players play. Amerikatt will simply live in her little world of sunshine and butterflies and fight the good fight!

I too am not a fan of the Punisher style hero :p The Grifter and the Shadow tho :)

Also, I don't see a difference between pistols and arrows, when people start going "Oh no! Guns!"

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Tannim222 wrote:
Tannim222 wrote:

I always try to be as clear and honest as I possibly can in all situations in life.

That's pretty much the same reason I told you no matter how many emanation points you provide people will want more. That's not a knock against you personally of even against MWM in general - that's just basic human nature. You don't have to "defend" or "justify" whatever the limit for that is going to be, especially since you (actually quite wisely) haven't even hinted yet at what the limit's going to be on that in the first place.

Maybe next time you feel you need need to randomly state the obvious about something no one is actually arguing with you about you could limit yourself to saying it once. I will readily admit that in this case I probably overreacted to your multiple explanations of something I was constantly (and even preemptively) taking your side on. Trust me - I'm not even going to PRETEND to specifically ask about the game allowing for breast-oriented emanation points - I was simply and clearly JOKING about that. But trust me... some idiot out there will eventually -seriously- ask for that and when they do I'll just be smiling...

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Safehouse
Safehouse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 46 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 10/15/2013 - 12:03
For me, the fact that we can

For me, the fact that we can freely and openly talk about multiple emanation points like this is one of the coolest things about this game and its devs. We are getting so many incredible customization features that we've never even dreamed of with other games, including CoTs spiritual predecessor, and we're already so eagerly talking about them without batting an eye.

CoT is going to rock.

Name: Safehouse
Magical Ranger - Gunner
Primary: Force Blast
Secondary: Invulnerability
Tertiary: Super Strength
Travel Power: Parkour
Status: Traveling. Following rumors of a huge city in Massachusetts that is teeming with supers.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Safehouse wrote:
Safehouse wrote:

For me, the fact that we can freely and openly talk about multiple emanation points like this is one of the coolest things about this game and its devs. We are getting so many incredible customization features that we've never even dreamed of with other games, including CoTs spiritual predecessor, and we're already so eagerly talking about them without batting an eye.

CoT is going to rock.

Well heck for all we know the Devs already have planned several dozen emanation points which would likely satisfy 99.999% of the playerbase and all this collective "worry" about it will be moot.

I just don't want any Devs to be shocked/upset when they finish bending-over backwards to provide as many emanation points as humanly and technically possible and they still have one random goofball pop up and ask "well what about such-n-such point" that nobody ever considered before. ;)

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Kaemgen
Kaemgen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
kickstarter
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 12:08
Brand X wrote:
Brand X wrote:

Amerikatt wrote:
Brand X wrote:
Also, I don't see a difference between pistols and arrows, when people start going "Oh no! Guns!"

Guns make it easy for unskilled morons to easily kill people... And potentially lots and lots of people... In a very short time.

An unskilled moron with a bow and arrow is likely not killing anyone. At all.

---
Not quite normal...

Fireheart
Fireheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 51 sec ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 13:45
Safehouse wrote:
Safehouse wrote:

Make infinite emanation so I just turn into a glowing ball of lasers shooting every which way!

Actually, I kind of like this basic idea. Have 'aura' or 'orbit' be an 'emanation point'. The character activates their power and summons up a glowing nimbus around themselves, which then fires the 'laser' in whatever direction their target is. For 'nova-class' AoEs, that could be 'many' lasers in 'all' directions.

Be Well!
Fireheart

Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 42 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
Kaemgen wrote:
Kaemgen wrote:

Brand X wrote:
Amerikatt wrote:
Brand X wrote:
Also, I don't see a difference between pistols and arrows, when people start going "Oh no! Guns!"
Guns make it easy for unskilled morons to easily kill people... And potentially lots and lots of people... In a very short time.
An unskilled moron with a bow and arrow is likely not killing anyone. At all.

It's still two objects being shot at someone else, usually with the sole ability to kill.

Though, so are most blast types, being that they're not often like Cyclops of the X-Men, where the damage is purely blunt force trauma (tho possible on a massive scale) even if the movies screw it up.

Kaemgen
Kaemgen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
kickstarter
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 12:08
Brand X wrote:
Brand X wrote:

Kaemgen wrote:
Brand X wrote:
Amerikatt wrote:
Brand X wrote:
Also, I don't see a difference between pistols and arrows, when people start going "Oh no! Guns!"
Guns make it easy for unskilled morons to easily kill people... And potentially lots and lots of people... In a very short time.
An unskilled moron with a bow and arrow is likely not killing anyone. At all.
It's still two objects being shot at someone else, usually with the sole ability to kill.
Though, so are most blast types, being that they're not often like Cyclops of the X-Men, where the damage is purely blunt force trauma (tho possible on a massive scale) even if the movies screw it up.

Not looking to get into a big debate... Or to get political or such.... In just practical terms I suspect there are people on these boards who have been victims or gun violence of one kind or another, I would be a bit shocked if there were any who were victims of bow and arrow violence. Specially intentional bow and arrow violence. Thus I can see how some might be more sensitive to gun violence than arrow violence. Or fantasy energy beam violence.

I am not arguing that guns shouldn't be allowed, or that bows and arrows should be... Just pointing out the gun/arrow difference since you asked.

(Personally I have no problem separating RL and video games so I really have no stake in this... Though if guns were so prevalent that the game was more Grand Theft Auto (or whatever, I don't play those type games) than a Super Hero game, I would be disappointed.)

---
Not quite normal...

Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 42 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
Could be, but for that, I

Could be, but for that, I just generally think, oh well to them. It's a game, I want my game. Also, not all guns have to be guns. :p My concept calls for foci that LOOK and act like guns, but they're just there to focus the offensive powers. :)

Foradain
Foradain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 32 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/25/2013 - 21:06
In the "Wearing the Cape"

In the "Wearing the Cape" series, heroes might use "traditional" weapons, but don't use firearms. Usually.

(Examples to the contrary deleted to avoid spoilers. ^_^)

Even within a single background, you can sometimes find examples either way.

Foradain, Mage of Phoenix Rising.
Foradain's Character Conclave
Avatar courtesy of Satellite Nine.
If you can't see an image I've posted, please let me know!

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Lothic wrote:
Lothic wrote:

Cyclops wrote:
Yes! The devs confirmed that for me a while ago. asthetic decoupling would allow you to fire machine guns from just your pointed finger!
Cyclops wrote:
I am really getting in the mood right now and dual pistols is one set i must play!
Wow, talk about a joke that almost writes itself:

I realize that the chances of getting "power emanation points" as depicted in this GIF are practically nil but I suspect people will still be seriously asking for this (along with the ever-predictable groin option).

I'm betting this Gif will end up being a possibility when Modders start enhancing the game....

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Cyclops wrote:
Cyclops wrote:
Lothic wrote:

I realize that the chances of getting "power emanation points" as depicted in this GIF are practically nil but I suspect people will still be seriously asking for this (along with the ever-predictable groin option).

I'm betting this Gif will end up being a possibility when Modders start enhancing the game....

Back in CoH client side modding allowed people to do things like change maps in their GUIs, modify sound effects and change costume item textures so that they looked different to them (but they wouldn't look different to anyone else unless they were using the exact same mod). Again all of these things were -client- side mods that specifically couldn't AFFECT anyone else not using the same local mods.

The basic concept behind these mods was that of "substitution" - you didn't actually have to tinker with underlying code. All you had to do was for example know were the texture file for costume item X was and then "substitute" another file in its place. This would change how things looked/sounded on your client.

Now when it comes to something like a new emanation point you're talking a whole new set of animations that would have to be available server-side at least so it could be properly displayed to every other player near you. I don't think it's going to be possible to do those as client-side mods unless for example you don't mind it looking like your breast emanation points (on your screen) just look like you're using your hands to everyone else. Since no one else would (presumably) be using your breast emanation points their clients would have to fall back to using some animation they already had as default (i.e. hands).

Basically I'd be amazed if the Devs of CoT allowed something as complex as emanation points to be moddable. Like everything else it wouldn't necessarily be impossible, but I suspect highly unlikely at any rate.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
Emanation points are a

Emanation points are a specialized bone socket. You would literally have to design an all new player model to change one as a mod.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Lothic wrote:
Lothic wrote:

Again all of these things were -client- side mods that specifically couldn't AFFECT anyone else not using the same local mods.

Yes, that is what I am saying. These mods would be client side only. no one would know unless they posted a video on You Tube.

But I am not a modder. so I have no idea what is possible.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Cyclops wrote:
Cyclops wrote:

But I am not a modder. so I have no idea what is possible.

Doctor Tyche wrote:

Emanation points are a specialized bone socket. You would literally have to design an all new player model to change one as a mod.

Well as Doctor Tyche just pointed out apparently the implementation of emanation points in CoT are more than just specialized animations - they've somehow baked them directly into the body models. I won't even begin to speculate on that because quite simply I don't have enough information but I will at least point out the obvious that making emanation point "animation" reliant on body model bone sockets automatically severely limits the possibly of adding any new ones once the socket limit reached.

Let's hope that whatever the socket "limit" is right now is already big enough most people. A few dozen right now would probably provide enough "breathing room" for the near-term but if we're only talking like maybe having 6 or 8 at launch then I can see a lot of people constantly suggesting "new" points that'll likely never happen for a very long time.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
Nothing unique to us here, it

Nothing unique to us here, it's built into the Unreal engine. That is part of how, for example, a FPS gun fires out of the tip of its barrel every time without fail. If you ever look at the model, you'll find that the gun has a bone in it, which is what the FX is socketed to.

Here's a picture of a gun from another game using the Unreal engine. It has several bones, to reflect several functions, but the one pointing right to the front is what the FX are attached to.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
I'm not arguing the need for

I'm not arguing the need for "bones" to make the animations work. I'll trust you guys actually know what you're doing with that.

I'm concerned with the "limits" using bones like that automatically imposes on your long-term ability to modify/add new emanation points to the game. Are we going to be in a situation where you've basically already hit your limits by launch time or have you planned out enough "spares" to be able to comfortably add new things in the coming years as you have more time/money to afford to add new things?

We all know that CoH was able to squeeze "extra mileage" out of its body models when it was able to add things like wings to the game a couple of years -after- launch. Do you feel comfortable that you've left yourself enough room to maneuver with this or are we going to be stuck with a situation where what we get at launch is likely ALL we'll have for years to come?

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
We've built in ways to add

We've built in ways to add more in the future thanks to Unreal's ability to attach skeletons. It does require code adjustment however, so is not something which would be easily modable.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Amerikatt
Amerikatt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/27/2013 - 08:54
*fires boysenberry jam from

*fires boysenberry jam from her donut!*

PEW-PEW!!! MEW-MEW!!!

Just a cat from another star!
Radiac
Radiac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 20 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/19/2013 - 15:12
Is it safe to assume that

Is it safe to assume that those weapons (swords, guns, etc) which will be available in the game will also have at least one socket that supports using them as a firing point for ranged attacks? I mean, I would hope that's what's we'd be getting. Why make a new gun or sword model to sell on the shop if you can't fire energy blasts from the tip/muzzle, right?

R.S.O. of Phoenix Rising

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

We've built in ways to add more in the future thanks to Unreal's ability to attach skeletons. It does require code adjustment however, so is not something which would be easily modable.

Just as long as you haven't painted yourself in a corner already. Various other Devs have already dramatically implied that certain things are going to be "impossible" based on the lack of body model socket/bone resources that are currently available. As we both know virtually nothing is "technically" impossible but it's obvious that some things will take huge amounts of time and resources that can likely only be spared until well after launch.

As to the question of player "modability" I already agreed with you that things like emanation points are likely never going to be among the things players will be able to tinker with via client side mods. I hope you weren't blindly assuming I thought that could somehow be any different - surprisingly enough I do sometimes take your side on issues like these.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Redlynne
Redlynne's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 22 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 21:15
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

Emanation points are a specialized bone socket.

Yes, but can you make them "jiggle" ... you know ... for flying animal pets that do a flappy wing hover over your avatar's shoulder and shoot fricken' laz0r beams out of their eyes/mouths/etc. ... ;P


Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.
Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 15 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Redlynne wrote:
Redlynne wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

Emanation points are a specialized bone socket.

Yes, but can you make them "jiggle" ... you know ... for flying animal pets that do a flappy wing hover over your avatar's shoulder and shoot fricken' laz0r beams out of their eyes/mouths/etc. ... ;P

You'd actually want the Devs to waste "a specialized bone socket" from our body models for -that- kind of jiggle?
Even Lindsay Lohan as Hermione Granger disagrees with that...

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012