Announcements

Watch this space for important information on planned twitch streams, updates and more

Future Interviews.

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fallout1
Fallout1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 06/23/2015 - 19:48
Future Interviews.

Recently, I have seen Ship of Heroes doing some You Tube interviews where they have been showing off a tour of their 1st city zone and a little of the creator (although it seemed to show more NPC than hero elements) Do you have anything like this scheduled in the near future where you would be discussing more about the game and showing a zone tour?

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min 46 sec ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
That's what we've begun doing

That's what we've begun doing with our Twitch streams.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Scott Jackson
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/20/2013 - 20:13
https://www.twitch.tv

https://www.twitch.tv/missingworldsmedia

The first one occurred last Friday (June 2, 2017) and is now archived; it lasted about an hour and a half. Doctor Tyche demonstrated placement of streets and basic (non-unique) building components.

TitansCity
TitansCity's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 14 hours ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 02:09
Scott Jackson wrote:
Scott Jackson wrote:

https://www.twitch.tv/missingworldsmedia
Doctor Tyche demonstrated placement of streets

Doctor Tyche demonstrated the ultra precised placement of streets xD which means we have a really homemade game that will roxx ! \o/

Fallout1
Fallout1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 06/23/2015 - 19:48
I did check that one out, but

I did check that one out, but I was wondering when a little more would be shown. For instance, the video I have seen for SoH did a long fly through of their starter zone Apotheosis City and showed a little of the character creator. I just thought there has to be some zones that are complete that could be shown. I don't want to sound pushy. I will be honest that I am not a big gamer. The only real MMO I ever played was CoH (tried DCO and CO but didn't really like them). I bought it within the first 2 weeks of release and played until the very end, so I really appreciate all the work that is going into this and expect nothing but good results.

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min 46 sec ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
Fallout1 wrote:
Fallout1 wrote:

I did check that one out, but I was wondering when a little more would be shown. For instance, the video I have seen for SoH did a long fly through of their starter zone Apotheosis City and showed a little of the character creator. I just thought there has to be some zones that are complete that could be shown. I don't want to sound pushy. I will be honest that I am not a big gamer. The only real MMO I ever played was CoH (tried DCO and CO but didn't really like them). I bought it within the first 2 weeks of release and played until the very end, so I really appreciate all the work that is going into this and expect nothing but good results.

We have a slight issue in showing off zone maps - the Moguls. As we sold off buildings in game, and the time getting them finalized has taken longer due to unanticipated personnel changes, we have rather large holes in every map until they are finished and added.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Cobalt Azurean
Cobalt Azurean's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 59 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 16:39
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

Fallout1 wrote:
I did check that one out, but I was wondering when a little more would be shown. For instance, the video I have seen for SoH did a long fly through of their starter zone Apotheosis City and showed a little of the character creator. I just thought there has to be some zones that are complete that could be shown. I don't want to sound pushy. I will be honest that I am not a big gamer. The only real MMO I ever played was CoH (tried DCO and CO but didn't really like them). I bought it within the first 2 weeks of release and played until the very end, so I really appreciate all the work that is going into this and expect nothing but good results.
We have a slight issue in showing off zone maps - the Moguls. As we sold off buildings in game, and the time getting them finalized has taken longer due to unanticipated personnel changes, we have rather large holes in every map until they are finished and added.

Sold off buildings? Was that a KS tier?

Foradain
Foradain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 52 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/25/2013 - 21:06
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

We have a slight issue in showing off zone maps - the Moguls. As we sold off buildings in game, and the time getting them finalized has taken longer due to unanticipated personnel changes, we have rather large holes in every map until they are finished and added.

As a mogul, I'm sorry.

Oh, wait, no I'm not. Maybe a little. But not enough that I wouldn't have sprung for mogul anyway if this had been predicted.

See, when they're done, it's going to be so freaking cool!

Foradain, Mage of Phoenix Rising.
Foradain's Character Conclave
Avatar courtesy of Satellite Nine.
If you can't see an image I've posted, please let me know!

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min 46 sec ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
Cobalt Azurean wrote:
Cobalt Azurean wrote:

Doctor Tyche wrote:
Fallout1 wrote:
I did check that one out, but I was wondering when a little more would be shown. For instance, the video I have seen for SoH did a long fly through of their starter zone Apotheosis City and showed a little of the character creator. I just thought there has to be some zones that are complete that could be shown. I don't want to sound pushy. I will be honest that I am not a big gamer. The only real MMO I ever played was CoH (tried DCO and CO but didn't really like them). I bought it within the first 2 weeks of release and played until the very end, so I really appreciate all the work that is going into this and expect nothing but good results.
We have a slight issue in showing off zone maps - the Moguls. As we sold off buildings in game, and the time getting them finalized has taken longer due to unanticipated personnel changes, we have rather large holes in every map until they are finished and added.
Sold off buildings? Was that a KS tier?

Add-on.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 54 min 39 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Foradain wrote:
Foradain wrote:

Doctor Tyche wrote:
We have a slight issue in showing off zone maps - the Moguls. As we sold off buildings in game, and the time getting them finalized has taken longer due to unanticipated personnel changes, we have rather large holes in every map until they are finished and added.
As a mogul, I'm sorry.
Oh, wait, no I'm not. Maybe a little. But not enough that I wouldn't have sprung for mogul anyway if this had been predicted.
See, when they're done, it's going to be so freaking cool!

I sort of split the difference with my Mogul building.

Yes I made the Devs have to work on an extra one for me but on the other hand I suspect I have one of the easiest ones for the art Devs to create. Basically I asked for a near-exact replica of a modern streamlined real world building that you can easily google thousands of pictures of. The art Devs should be able to whip it up almost with their eyes closed so I actually don't feel too "guilty" about it. ;)

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Halae
Halae's picture
Offline
Last seen: 47 min 25 sec ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 09/17/2014 - 09:37
I really wish I'd had the

I really wish I'd had the chance to get a mogul building done. I have an awesome idea for a wizard's tower, but sadly I missed the KS.

An infinite number of tries doesn't mean that any one of those tries will succeed. I could flip an infinite number of pennies an infinite number of times and, barring genuine randomness, they will never come up "Waffles".

RottenLuck
RottenLuck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 31 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/05/2012 - 20:32
I didn't have the funds for a

I didn't have the funds for a Mogul. Though I bet my ideas were simple as well, biker bar named Dante's Inferno.

--------------------------------------------------------
Personal rules of good roleplay
1.) Nothing goes as planned.
2.) If it goes as planned it's not good RP

Lin Chiao Feng
Lin Chiao Feng's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Developerkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/02/2013 - 09:27
Just saying... all the Mogul

Just saying... all the Mogul buildings are of necessity in the level 1-30 zones. Later there'll be level 31-50 zones. Maybe more Moguls? We'll see...

Has anyone seen my mind? It was right here...

RottenLuck
RottenLuck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 31 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/05/2012 - 20:32
Heck maybe put a construction

Heck maybe put a construction sign in the blank places.

--------------------------------------------------------
Personal rules of good roleplay
1.) Nothing goes as planned.
2.) If it goes as planned it's not good RP

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 54 min 39 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:

Just saying... all the Mogul buildings are of necessity in the level 1-30 zones. Later there'll be level 31-50 zones. Maybe more Moguls? We'll see...

RottenLuck wrote:

Heck maybe put a construction sign in the blank places.

I've always contended that there could (and even should) be more chances for newer players to get Mogul-style buildings. New zones will almost certainly be created after the game's launch and there were even rare examples where preexisting zones in CoH were modified/updated over the years. Any zone updates in CoT could be done to, among other things, add new Mogul buildings.

As a pure hypothetical suggestion the Devs might offer a contest or other method to auction off say 10 new Mogul plots per year. That way newer people would have a chance to get a Mogul for themselves without the process having to be too disruptive to the Devs who'd have to create them.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Wolfgang8565
Wolfgang8565's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 23 hours ago
Joined: 10/31/2014 - 14:51
IM kinda getting the jist of

IM kinda getting the jist of what mogul involves but what exactly does the term "mogul" mean. You created a building? get a building named after you? what

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min 46 sec ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
Wolfgang8565 wrote:
Wolfgang8565 wrote:

IM kinda getting the jist of what mogul involves but what exactly does the term "mogul" mean. You created a building? get a building named after you? what

The original writeup was that you get to name a building. This became having the building designed to your spec after the KS concluded, although nobody has complained.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Wolfgang8565
Wolfgang8565's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 23 hours ago
Joined: 10/31/2014 - 14:51
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

Wolfgang8565 wrote:
IM kinda getting the jist of what mogul involves but what exactly does the term "mogul" mean. You created a building? get a building named after you? what
The original writeup was that you get to name a building. This became having the building designed to your spec after the KS concluded, although nobody has complained.

Oh, awesome. I regret not being around for the KS. BUT im looking forward to something else in place to show my support!

Grimfox
Grimfox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/05/2014 - 10:17
I would have loved to be a

I would have loved to be a mogul, knowing what I know now, but back during the kickstarter I didn't have the faith in KS or MWM. Hindsight is 20/20. That said I still am not sure I would want to buy into the mogul tier. Some of the designs so far are amazing, I don't think I could come up with something comparable. I would also think that the mogul cost in the future would be far more expensive. I base that opinion on what they know now about the difficulties of making made to order in game structures.

Lothic, a bit disingenuous? Sure they can get lots of references but they can't recreate the tower. I'm sure it's copyrighted. We'll see though :)

(at)Roxanna - Little Sister - Plutonium Bloom - MilkShakes
Triumph
Guardian
Virtue

Dev Tracker: http://cityoftitans.com/forum/fixing-dev-digest
Dev Comments: https://cityoftitans.com/forum/dev-comments

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 54 min 39 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Grimfox wrote:
Grimfox wrote:

Lothic, a bit disingenuous? Sure they can get lots of references but they can't recreate the tower. I'm sure it's copyrighted. We'll see though :)

Can a real life building be "copyrighted" to prevent anyone from recreating a reasonable facsimile of it in a computer game? Did MS Flight Simulator have to get permission from every single building owner in every city they included in their simulator? I highly doubt it. I happen to own a LEGO version of the building in question and a small metal statue of it I bought in the same country the building is in. Are all of these likenesses "copyrighted" in such as way to prevent a CoT version of it as well? It's an interesting legal question to say the least. ;)

Regardless of all that I did actually ask for a slight "modification" to my version of the building for CoT which could very well make it "different" enough so that it isn't legally considered an exact duplicate. I'm also reasonably sure that the CoT art Devs would be able to "tweak" whatever else they'd consider necessary to make it work for the game. I don't need my building to be 100% identical to the real thing down to the nuts and bolts - as long as it looks even remotely like it I'll probably be happy with it.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Lin Chiao Feng
Lin Chiao Feng's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Developerkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/02/2013 - 09:27
Lothic wrote:
Lothic wrote:

Can a real life building be "copyrighted" to prevent anyone from recreating a reasonable facsimile of it in a computer game?

I wish I could say "No." But in the past couple decades, the rich folk realized there was a lot of money to be made selling the rights to images/shapes/whatever of real things they own. Rent-seeking to a T. It was like free money for them.

You know those plastic models of things like cars and military aircraft that people put together? About when the F-22 went into service, Lockheed realized they could be selling licenses for those model kits and sent their lawyers after the kit makers. Makers had to pay license fees around $50/kit for kits they had been selling in the $20-30 range. I bought a V-22 model for my uncle last Christmas and it was almost $100.

So yeah, I'll bet that the landlords, architects, and so forth have a hand in the till and license this stuff out, and your copy of Flight Simulator or whatever covers in part licensing fees to any building owners who asserted rights. The key is when the building was built. Maybe the Empire State Building has passed into the public domain, but the Burj Khalifa probably hasn't. And your Lego kits probably have the same license fee buried in them, though not the ruinous levels model kits have. Lego, at least, can full well just drop a kit; they're not out of business if they don't get that license.

Has anyone seen my mind? It was right here...

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 54 min 39 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:

I wish I could say "No." But in the past couple decades, the rich folk realized there was a lot of money to be made selling the rights to images/shapes/whatever of real things they own. Rent-seeking to a T. It was like free money for them.

You know those plastic models of things like cars and military aircraft that people put together? About when the F-22 went into service, Lockheed realized they could be selling licenses for those model kits and sent their lawyers after the kit makers. Makers had to pay license fees around $50/kit for kits they had been selling in the $20-30 range. I bought a V-22 model for my uncle last Christmas and it was almost $100.

So yeah, I'll bet that the landlords, architects, and so forth have a hand in the till and license this stuff out, and your copy of Flight Simulator or whatever covers in part licensing fees to any building owners who asserted rights. The key is when the building was built. Maybe the Empire State Building has passed into the public domain, but the Burj Khalifa probably hasn't. And your Lego kits probably have the same license fee buried in them, though not the ruinous levels model kits have. Lego, at least, can full well just drop a kit; they're not out of business if they don't get that license.

You do know that MS Flight Simulator (MSFS) had accurate renditions of buildings in cities all around the world. I would think the chances that MS paid "licensing fees" to nearly countless notable building owners both foreign and domestic is just about nil. Remember that versions of MSFS were actually buried as a "free Easter eggs" in some of MS's more famous Office applications so it's hardly likely that MS would freely hand out a product that they themselves ever had to pay licensing fees for.

Yes I get that some specific things (like your F-22/V-22 model example) could have licensing fees imposed because specific individual companies (Lockheed in that case) could claim they were the "sole owner" of that object being licensed. On the other hand I would suspect that most modern skyscrapers are not technically "owned" by a single company that could impose such a mandate on a global scale. Let me put it this way: The image of the Burj Khalifa is plastered on every kind of tourist trinket imaginable in the U.A.E. The chances that all of those items (even within the confines of the U.A.E.) have accounted for a "licensing fee" is almost laughably remote. Even if the big malls pay fees the smaller souk venders certainly don't.

Anyway as I pointed out I've already asked for "modifications" to my Mogul the likes of which are probably enough to pass any foreseeable "fair use" legal concern, assuming there is any in the first place. I would be amazed if I were the only Mogul player who asked for something that could even remotely be considered "copyrighted" so if this actually becomes an issue as far as MWM is concerned it's possible they may be dealing with a bunch of "questionable" cases.

Regardless I'll be happy to work with the art Devs and would obviously accept any modifications they think would be needed. Remember that this ENTIRE GAME is technically under at least a vague amount of legal jeopardy from NCsoft for trying to effectively "copy" CoH. I doubt my single Mogul building would add to that to any serious degree.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012