It's been suggested that there will be Sliders. Quite possibly LOTS of sliders, controlling many aspects of the character's form, before we even look at 'costume' elements. Having recently worked with a character creator, to modify my character in another game, I thought I'd post here with... observations. Perhaps requests?
• Tabs. There should be tabs and… pages, and sub-tabs, to organize the layers and sections of the character’s form. So there would be a frame/tab that shows the whole body and a sub-tab that concentrates just on the head, and possibly a tab within that which deals with the eyes. These tabs should make it easy and intuitive to move between the various levels of detail.
• ‘Reset’ buttons. Within these layered tabs/frames, there should be a button to reset all sliders in that tab to ‘default’ and/or ‘current’ settings. Thus, if one has gone out of control with the sliders, one can return to default or to the current settings, if one is modifying an existing character, or Both, in case one wants to really start over.
• Color. It is Important that colors appear the same in-game, as they do in the creation-space. If the eyes seem to glow, then they should actually glow, and not look dull, when the character is finished. The effect of textures and shading should be consistent across the whole costume.
I have Pictures from CoH, demonstrating that the ‘tights’ texture was different between the ‘gloves’ and the rest, causing a visible color-shift.
• Numeric Metering. I mean that the sliders ought to have a numeric read-out regarding their position and one ought to be able to input numbers for precision slider positioning.
• Saving Sections. It would be useful to be able to save and/or freeze costume segments, such that, if one finds an attractive look, one could save it and upload it to another costume/character. One might, thus, be able to save and/or construct a character/costume in sections.
What other features should the Avatar and Costume Creation module have?