- This exercise is by NO means mandatory. So please, if you have other obligations or assignments, we ask that you focus on those first.
- Content discussed in this thread will NOT be used as game content, this is an exercise in writing only and nothing discussed here should be taken seriously.
- This exercise is open to everyone, and is NOT limited to MWM employees. Fans and the general public are welcome to participate
- Participation in this game should NOT be considered as an application to become a member of the MWM staff.
Time for the second installment of BOOTCAMP! So welcome to lesson 2: Integration!
Today’s game will focus on how to integrate a character with his environment. Every character in a story should feel like they belong, or blend with their surroundings. Sometimes, a writer will create a character without taking the environment into consideration. This becomes painfully obvious, as that character can stick out like a sore thumb! Imaging watching the play Macbeth, only with Ronald McDonald as the star. Would be kind of awkward, wouldn’t it? So when writing for someone else, it is important to know what the setting will be, when does the story take place and where does it all happen.
So the goal of today’s game will be to take one of the offered candidates, and find a plausible way of integrating them in the suggested environments.
So, here are todays guidelines!
1. Below are 5 "candidate", well known characters. Select ONE of the 5 candidates to work with.
2. Below the candidates, are 4 different, stylized worlds/environments.
3. Write ONE short description of a story for the candidate you selected for EACH environment type.
4. All 4 short story descriptions have a limit of 20 phrases each!
5. Within each short story description you will write, you must include: WHO the character is, WHERE he/she is from (within said environment), WHAT does he/she do in this environment, HOW does the environment react to he/she, and most importantly WHY does he/she belong in this environment.
6. The candidate you selected may be modified to fit the environment you selected, BUT that character must remain true to his original design as much as possible.
1. The Terminator
2. King Arthur
3. Sherlock Holmes
4. Santa Claus
5. Little Red Riding Hood.
Environments: (I am simply offering styles here and a location, it will be up to you to fill in the blanks).
1.Tim Burton-esque Town. (Nightmare before Christmas, or Sweeney Todd, or Edward Scissor Hands)
2.Classic Disney cartoon feature, in a forest (think Fantasia, or Peter Pan, or Aladdin)
3.Police drama, in a metropolitan city (think CSI or Criminal minds)
4. Super-Hero action flic, on a spaceship (think Avengers, or Superman)
When replying/posting, I ask that you clearly identify yourself by posting this template:
Name and forum handle: John Doe (a.k.a. Doe Boy)
Status: MWM Employee or Fanbase
Position: Lead, Dev, Contract, Fanboy/girl, etc.
When posting your separate environments, please do so as such:
(Candidate name) in Tim Burton-land :
(Candidate name) in Disney Land :
(Candidate name) in Police drama land :
(Candidate name) in Super-Hero land :
Now go! Create! And most importantly, have fun!
Look for the next game which will be about Personality!
You wear a mask to hide who you are, I wear a mask to show who I am.
Staff Writer, Composition Team