Aesthetic Decoupling Questions

83 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 13 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Aesthetic Decoupling Questions

I have already been told I can shoot bullets from a pointed finger.
Can I shoot machine gun bursts from an old western revolver?

Further can I pick a different special effect for same revolver?
Lets say I mix a shot gun blast with knock back, machine gun bursts, a flame thrower, (using a tertiary power) encase an opponent in a block of ice, electric star wars blasts, and trick arrows all using the same revolver as a firing point.

can I do all of that with the same revolver? at launch?

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Good questions. I would like

Good questions. I would like to think that in the long run you could do all that but maybe for launch there might only be a handful of choices possible. For each power we should ideally be able to assign any visual aesthetic, emanation point, prop and sound effect desired.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
I'm with Lothic on this. I

I'm with Lothic on this. I think you can do it all from the same revolver, assuming all those options are even going to be available at launch.

But there's no accounting for poor taste, so whether or not you should have them all coming from a six shooter is another question entirely.


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
blacke4dawn
blacke4dawn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 03/28/2015 - 03:02
I think they have pretty much

I think they have pretty much stated that they have given up on making "subsets" of aesthetic options for abilities that would be more "reasonable" for the chosen mechanics theme due to complexity and time of it all. By that I'm going to assume that they have also "given up" on "reasonable combos" between props and projectile effects (and hit effects) so that any projectile effect can be used with any prop.

Redlynne
Redlynne's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 5 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 21:15
The revolver would be a PROP

The revolver would be a PROP with a Power Emanation Point for visual FX.


Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.
Foradain
Foradain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 51 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/25/2013 - 21:06
This thread reminds me of the

This thread reminds me of the Anderson/Dickson short story, "In Hoka Signo Vinces"*, in which the clever but officially low-tech band of Hoka who decide to join the Space Patrol put gunpowder revolvers in shells made to look like the latest Holman raythrowers. ^_^

Last edit, hopefully: After failing to find my DTE, and requesting Kindle Versions left and right, I found The Sound and the Furry, one review of which let me know IHSV was the Space Patrol story, that "The Tiddlywink Warriors" involved La Légion Étrangère, and "Yo Ho Hoka!" was the one which involved the British Navy (and pirates). Now I want to read them again!

Foradain, Mage of Phoenix Rising.
Foradain's Character Conclave
Avatar courtesy of Satellite Nine.
If you can't see an image I've posted, please let me know!

Fireheart
Fireheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 13:45
Library's a good place to

Library's a good place to find Hokas. My local is sadly low on Dickson.

Be Well!
Fireheart

OathboundOne
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 03/06/2016 - 16:15
I mean, CoX let you use a

I mean, CoX let you use a tommygun as a flamethrower, so I don't see why not...

Brainbot
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2016 - 21:30
(No subject)

Judge Dredd's Lawgiver is a good example of an 'all in one' pistol from comics.

Grimfox
Grimfox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 4 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/05/2014 - 10:17
Cyclops wrote:
Cyclops wrote:

I have already been told I can shoot bullets from a pointed finger.
Can I shoot machine gun bursts from an old western revolver?

Further can I pick a different special effect for same revolver?
Lets say I mix a shot gun blast with knock back, machine gun bursts, a flame thrower, (using a tertiary power) encase an opponent in a block of ice, electric star wars blasts, and trick arrows all using the same revolver as a firing point.

can I do all of that with the same revolver? at launch?

My understanding is that this and much more will be possible at launch. If you want your revolver to shoot an astral tiger (assuming an astral tiger fx exist) it can do that.

There are few restrictions on projected fx, as compared to melee fx. It should work as follows. Choose the animation (point with prop (gun) ) -> Choose the emanation point (prop gun) -> Choose the fx (machine gun, flame thrower, shotgun blast, astral tiger, rubber band, or bees). You'll probably need to choose a power to apply it too somewhere in there. Probably, step #1.

IIRC there is a limit on how many props you can use for each powerset. IE you can't use sword and a gun for your primary powerset but you could use a sword for your secondary. Not 100% on that aspect.

(at)Roxanna - Little Sister - Plutonium Bloom - MilkShakes
Triumph
Guardian
Virtue

Dev Tracker: http://cityoftitans.com/forum/fixing-dev-digest
Dev Comments: https://cityoftitans.com/forum/dev-comments

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
There is a limit to the

There is a limit to the number of props and FX themes a person can use. Necessity due to being online. Too many, and the data becomes too large to share quickly as more people are in an area. At this point, the limit is 2 of each, but if during playtesting we find we can raise that limit, we will.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Kiyori Anoyui
Kiyori Anoyui's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/10/2013 - 11:03
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

There is a limit to the number of props and FX themes a person can use. Necessity due to being online. Too many, and the data becomes too large to share quickly as more people are in an area. At this point, the limit is 2 of each, but if during playtesting we find we can raise that limit, we will.

So to get clarity by example, you could have a gun AND a bow, as well as have them shoot fire AND ice?

The Carnival of Light in the Phoenix Rising
"We never lose our demons, we only learn to live above them." - The Ancient One

Avatar by lilshironeko

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
Kiyori Anoyui wrote:
Kiyori Anoyui wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

There is a limit to the number of props and FX themes a person can use. Necessity due to being online. Too many, and the data becomes too large to share quickly as more people are in an area. At this point, the limit is 2 of each, but if during playtesting we find we can raise that limit, we will.

So to get clarity by example, you could have a gun AND a bow, as well as have them shoot fire AND ice?

Right. Of course the colors are independent of this, so one fire FX could be green and another purple.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Grimfox
Grimfox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 4 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/05/2014 - 10:17
ah, so when you say fire

ah, so when you say fire theme is that a suite of firery fx IE I could use fireball fx and fire breath fx and fireblast fx and firey eruption fx etc? How many unique fx would be in a theme, one for each power?

(at)Roxanna - Little Sister - Plutonium Bloom - MilkShakes
Triumph
Guardian
Virtue

Dev Tracker: http://cityoftitans.com/forum/fixing-dev-digest
Dev Comments: https://cityoftitans.com/forum/dev-comments

Kiyori Anoyui
Kiyori Anoyui's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/10/2013 - 11:03
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

Right. Of course the colors are independent of this, so one fire FX could be green and another purple.

That's very exciting news, I was expecting it to be one weapon with 2 FX. Throw the colors on top of that, we are going to have so much customization, I don't think I'll ever be able to leave the AB :D

The Carnival of Light in the Phoenix Rising
"We never lose our demons, we only learn to live above them." - The Ancient One

Avatar by lilshironeko

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
Grimfox wrote:
Grimfox wrote:

ah, so when you say fire theme is that a suite of firery fx IE I could use fireball fx and fire breath fx and fireblast fx and firey eruption fx etc? How many unique fx would be in a theme, one for each power?

Spoilers!

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Grimfox
Grimfox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 4 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/05/2014 - 10:17
Which question!

Which question!

(at)Roxanna - Little Sister - Plutonium Bloom - MilkShakes
Triumph
Guardian
Virtue

Dev Tracker: http://cityoftitans.com/forum/fixing-dev-digest
Dev Comments: https://cityoftitans.com/forum/dev-comments

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 13 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

There is a limit to the number of props and FX themes a person can use. Necessity due to being online. Too many, and the data becomes too large to share quickly as more people are in an area. At this point, the limit is 2 of each, but if during playtesting we find we can raise that limit, we will.

so to clarify, I can have one revolver and two FX to go with it.
a gun FX for the machine gun, shotgun, maybe mortars
and then a fire FX for the various effects that has.

so at Launch: Atrophic Blast with the revolver prop, guns and fire FX. Did I get it right?
can I still shoot a tertiary ice block and it will look like an ice block?

Fireheart
Fireheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 13:45
I think what he meant was two

I think what he meant was two props with one FX per Power?

So you might have a pistol and a bazooka. Plus the 'no-prop' punching set?

Be Well!
Fireheart

MeSoSollyWan
MeSoSollyWan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/18/2014 - 00:54
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

There is a limit to the number of props and FX themes a person can use. Necessity due to being online. Too many, and the data becomes too large to share quickly as more people are in an area. At this point, the limit is 2 of each, but if during playtesting we find we can raise that limit, we will.

I remember either you or Tannim mentioning the "2 Prop Max" per hero, but this is the first time I've heard of a "2 Particle Effects Per Hero" max. Interesting.

Will this limitation bleed over into secondary sets/armors too? So I could I not have, for example, lighting coming from my left hand, fire from my right, but ice and/or water covering my body as an armor?

I know even City of Heroes could have at least 3 particle types with the Epic Power Pools. Is that not an option here?

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
No, two props, two FX themes,

No, two props, two FX themes, can mix and match actual powers between all of them. And we may be able to do 3, but will need playtesting to make sure. We can with confidence promise 2.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Cyclops
Cyclops's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 13 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 17:24
Thanks, Doc!

Thanks, Doc!

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
Realize, this means that

Realize, this means that tertiaries would then share FX with other powers as well.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

McJigg
McJigg's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/06/2016 - 05:14
Can't wait to melee with a

Can't wait to melee with a gun and shoot lasers from a sword!

Scott Jackson
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/20/2013 - 20:13
pffph. Swords that shoot

pffph. Swords that shoot guns, and lasers that shoot beams shaped like fists, that's where the action is!

McJigg
McJigg's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/06/2016 - 05:14
A crossbow that shoots a

A crossbow that shoots a short range bolt that explodes and summons a skeletal minion with a long range crossbow that shoots a sword that fires a beam mid-way to the target, that which on contact, summons a crossbow that fires an arrow for medial physical Damage on a low recharge.

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
McJigg wrote:
McJigg wrote:

A crossbow that shoots a short range bolt that explodes and summons a skeletal minion with a long range crossbow that shoots a sword that fires a beam mid-way to the target, that which on contact, summons a crossbow that fires an arrow for medial physical Damage on a low recharge.

A foolish Samurai Warrior wielding a shape shifting master of evil wielding a magic sword wielding a foolish Samurai Warrior...

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

McJigg
McJigg's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/06/2016 - 05:14
A punch so powerful it

A punch so powerful it replaces the enemy with another version of him/herself from an alternate dimension that was already missing the hitpoints.

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
McJigg wrote:
McJigg wrote:

A punch so powerful it replaces the enemy with another version of him/herself from an alternate dimension that was already missing the hitpoints.

Hopefully not a mirror-verse version.

Although that'd be a good thing for a mind control power. You don't make them work on your side for a bit, you just temporarily swap them with a mirror-verse double.

Just makes the enemy vanish for a second and come back with a goatee.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Foradain
Foradain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 51 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/25/2013 - 21:06
Project_Hero wrote:
Project_Hero wrote:
McJigg wrote:

A punch so powerful it replaces the enemy with another version of him/herself from an alternate dimension that was already missing the hitpoints.

Hopefully not a mirror-verse version.

Although that'd be a good thing for a mind control power. You don't make them work on your side for a bit, you just temporarily swap them with a mirror-verse double.

Just makes the enemy vanish for a second and come back with a goatee.

Or without a goatee, as the case may be.

Foradain, Mage of Phoenix Rising.
Foradain's Character Conclave
Avatar courtesy of Satellite Nine.
If you can't see an image I've posted, please let me know!

Airhead
Airhead's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 16 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 23:38
Foradain wrote:
Foradain wrote:
Project_Hero wrote:

Just makes the enemy vanish for a second and come back with a goatee.

Or without a goatee, as the case may be.

Aesthetic recoupling!

"The illusion which exalts us is dearer to us than ten thousand truths." - Pushkin
"One piece of flair is all I need." - Sister Silicon

MeSoSollyWan
MeSoSollyWan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/18/2014 - 00:54
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

Realize, this means that tertiaries would then share FX with other powers as well.

Tyche,

Is it possible to choose a "third option" by having the power effects set to "No effects"?

So, like, in theory you could have a lot of Martial Arts/Street Combat abilities for your tertiaries, but also have your two "actual power effects" like fire and ice? Effectively having "3 powers."

Hope
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 09/15/2013 - 10:10
Grimfox wrote:
Grimfox wrote:
Cyclops wrote:

I have already been told I can shoot bullets from a pointed finger.
Can I shoot machine gun bursts from an old western revolver?

Further can I pick a different special effect for same revolver?
Lets say I mix a shot gun blast with knock back, machine gun bursts, a flame thrower, (using a tertiary power) encase an opponent in a block of ice, electric star wars blasts, and trick arrows all using the same revolver as a firing point.

can I do all of that with the same revolver? at launch?

My understanding is that this and much more will be possible at launch. If you want your revolver to shoot an astral tiger (assuming an astral tiger fx exist) it can do that.

There are few restrictions on projected fx, as compared to melee fx. It should work as follows. Choose the animation (point with prop (gun) ) -> Choose the emanation point (prop gun) -> Choose the fx (machine gun, flame thrower, shotgun blast, astral tiger, rubber band, or bees). You'll probably need to choose a power to apply it too somewhere in there. Probably, step #1.

IIRC there is a limit on how many props you can use for each powerset. IE you can't use sword and a gun for your primary powerset but you could use a sword for your secondary. Not 100% on that aspect.

Ooh. I want an Astral Tiger please.

Hi. I'm Hope.

Crimsonomen20
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/19/2018 - 17:54
I want an Astral Tiger. Now I

I want an Astral Tiger. Now I need a friggin' concept, and no brain, no ripping off Tekken.

Fireheart
Fireheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 13:45
You court rip off Tiger from

You court rip off Tiger from the Spinnertte comics.

Be Well!
Fireheart

Atama
Atama's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 24 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 22:32
My problem with superhero

My problem with superhero MMOs has pretty much been the opposite of what is being requested here, but I'm hoping CoT will give me the flexibility to do what I've always wanted to do but was unable to do.

So most superheroes have a theme that they base things around, a gimmick. Usually it's one power that they use to fight (or commit) crime that they hone and improve on and get creative with. But most MMOs require you to diversify. A perfect example would be DC Universe Online; you can't make The Flash as a character. The Flash has one power, super-speed, which he uses in creative ways. But in DCUO you have to pick a weapon, a powerset, and a travel power. So you'd have to make The Flash with, oh, ice powers, and something like a gun, or a sword, or fist blades, or super strength. But you can't actually recreate one of that comic universe's most iconic characters.

I actually want to narrow what my character does. For my first and probably main PC, I want a guy who fires missiles at people. He might have knockout gas missiles, and missiles that explode into fireballs that set people on fire, and plain old explodey ones, but all missiles. No MMO that I've ever seen would let me do that. In CoT, could I choose every power to be narrow in scope like that? Assuming they're all some kind of ranged attack of one kind or another.

If that kind of thing would be possible, I would be SO happy. I could make characters as broad or as narrow as I want to. I no longer have to come up with an idea then sigh and drastically compromise, I can make a character that matches what I imagine. I would love that dearly.

Lothic
Lothic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 00:27
Atama wrote:
Atama wrote:

My problem with superhero MMOs has pretty much been the opposite of what is being requested here, but I'm hoping CoT will give me the flexibility to do what I've always wanted to do but was unable to do.

So most superheroes have a theme that they base things around, a gimmick. Usually it's one power that they use to fight (or commit) crime that they hone and improve on and get creative with. But most MMOs require you to diversify. A perfect example would be DC Universe Online; you can't make The Flash as a character. The Flash has one power, super-speed, which he uses in creative ways. But in DCUO you have to pick a weapon, a powerset, and a travel power. So you'd have to make The Flash with, oh, ice powers, and something like a gun, or a sword, or fist blades, or super strength. But you can't actually recreate one of that comic universe's most iconic characters.

I actually want to narrow what my character does. For my first and probably main PC, I want a guy who fires missiles at people. He might have knockout gas missiles, and missiles that explode into fireballs that set people on fire, and plain old explodey ones, but all missiles. No MMO that I've ever seen would let me do that. In CoT, could I choose every power to be narrow in scope like that? Assuming they're all some kind of ranged attack of one kind or another.

If that kind of thing would be possible, I would be SO happy. I could make characters as broad or as narrow as I want to. I no longer have to come up with an idea then sigh and drastically compromise, I can make a character that matches what I imagine. I would love that dearly.

Actually Cyclops's OP on this thread is a suggestion to be able to have multiple powers all come the same gun. That sounds pretty close to what you're talking about doing.

I think the aesthetic decoupling and/or customization options provided by CoT will probably let you get as close as possible to what you want here. Basically CoT is still going to make you take a diverse range of powers (so that you won't be too under/overpowered game balance wise) but you're going to be able to make as many of those powers as possible LOOK like they are all coming from the missile launcher (as a prop-based emanation point) you want.

Obviously I can't promise you that MWM will deliver exactly what you want but I imagine CoT will come closer to what you want here than any of game has so far.

CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Crimsonomen20
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/19/2018 - 17:54
That is my main gripe with

That is my main gripe with DCUO, Atama. Not so much narrowing my concept, but for a game that is allowed t o have Superman an d the Flash, it's silly that Superman has to have ice armor. And no, I'm serious. That's his power. At least Flash can use his superspeed in combat.as long as you ignore him zapping you as well.

But anywasy, small off topic aside, yeah, I'm pretty sure you';ll get most of you effects from the same point i.e the Rocket Launcher of Awesome.

Fireheart
Fireheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 13:45
Well, I think one could

Well, I think one could approximate the 'One Power' effect of Flash, by choosing a speedy-melee set, get a fast a gap-closer, maybe enhance a few attacks with electric, or 'power glow' FX. Perhaps use a ranged attack with an animation of a character-blur that rushes to hit the target and then rushes back, so it looks like a charge-hit-return. The trick will be in combining power-set, animation, and FX to portray the theme.

Be Well!
Fireheart

Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 44 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
Wouldn't you just give The

Wouldn't you just give The Flash a hand to hand style combat with super speed in DCUO? His other power could then be Electricity, to represent the electric stuff he's done with his powers.

Crimsonomen20
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/19/2018 - 17:54
I thin k that's what they did

I thin k that's what they did in DCUO for the Flash. They got pretty good with him. But Superman uses Ice armor and WW has ...magic I think. I don't think she even uses a weapon at all

MeSoSollyWan
MeSoSollyWan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/18/2014 - 00:54
Fireheart wrote:
Fireheart wrote:

Well, I think one could approximate the 'One Power' effect of Flash, by choosing a speedy-melee set, get a fast a gap-closer, maybe enhance a few attacks with electric, or 'power glow' FX. Perhaps use a ranged attack with an animation of a character-blur that rushes to hit the target and then rushes back, so it looks like a charge-hit-return. The trick will be in combining power-set, animation, and FX to portray the theme.

Be Well!
Fireheart

With this new limitation we just found out, this wouldn't be possible. You've listed 3 "effects": Electricity, Glowing, and Character Blur. If what Tyche was mentioning is the limit, that means you could only pick 2 of those 3 effects for your entire build. You could use those 2 effects interchangeably between attacks however is allowed, but it could still only be those 2.

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
MeSoSollyWan wrote:
MeSoSollyWan wrote:
Fireheart wrote:

Well, I think one could approximate the 'One Power' effect of Flash, by choosing a speedy-melee set, get a fast a gap-closer, maybe enhance a few attacks with electric, or 'power glow' FX. Perhaps use a ranged attack with an animation of a character-blur that rushes to hit the target and then rushes back, so it looks like a charge-hit-return. The trick will be in combining power-set, animation, and FX to portray the theme.

Be Well!
Fireheart

With this new limitation we just found out, this wouldn't be possible. You've listed 3 "effects": Electricity, Glowing, and Character Blur. If what Tyche was mentioning is the limit, that means you could only pick 2 of those 3 effects for your entire build. You could use those 2 effects interchangeably between attacks however is allowed, but it could still only be those 2.

Unless the blur effect was an aura or part of the super speed aesthetics. If travel aesthetics aren't linked to the two previously mentioned ones.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

MeSoSollyWan
MeSoSollyWan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/18/2014 - 00:54
Project_Hero wrote:
Project_Hero wrote:
MeSoSollyWan wrote:
Fireheart wrote:

Well, I think one could approximate the 'One Power' effect of Flash, by choosing a speedy-melee set, get a fast a gap-closer, maybe enhance a few attacks with electric, or 'power glow' FX. Perhaps use a ranged attack with an animation of a character-blur that rushes to hit the target and then rushes back, so it looks like a charge-hit-return. The trick will be in combining power-set, animation, and FX to portray the theme.

Be Well!
Fireheart

With this new limitation we just found out, this wouldn't be possible. You've listed 3 "effects": Electricity, Glowing, and Character Blur. If what Tyche was mentioning is the limit, that means you could only pick 2 of those 3 effects for your entire build. You could use those 2 effects interchangeably between attacks however is allowed, but it could still only be those 2.

Unless the blur effect was an aura or part of the super speed aesthetics. If travel aesthetics aren't linked to the two previously mentioned ones.

Very good point! We don't know if those two effects affect those two things. I would think since a travel power is a "Power" it might? But I would presume that the aura is a costume effect, so it would not?

Edit: I found this post from almost a year ago by Tannim,

"Travel powers aren't like normal sets. They don't come with combat powers and are separate from your combat power picks.

There may be a tertiary set with movement related combat mechanics customizable to look like many different types of movememt abilities."
https://cityoftitans.com/comment/116356#comment-116356

So that really makes me wonder if Travel Powers, then, don't count in that "2 effects" rule?

Tannim222
Tannim222's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 13 min ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 01/16/2013 - 12:47
Those quotes were more about

Those quotes were more about how the functions were designed and for how those powers are selected. Only discussing possibilities without any limitation issues.


I don't use a nerf bat, I have a magic crowbar!
- Combat Mechanic -
Tech Team.
MeSoSollyWan
MeSoSollyWan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/18/2014 - 00:54
If I choose my "effect" to be

If I choose my "effect" to be earth or rocks, can I choose different kinds of earth or rocks per power? Like in City of Heroes if you picked Stone Melee you could have some attacks be molten rock, or crystals, or straight-up dirt.

In City of Titans would these different effects or "skins" on my powers count towards this power limitation? Or will selecting "earth effect" give me the option of changing each powers' earthy look?

Grimfox
Grimfox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 4 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/05/2014 - 10:17
That's an interesting

That's an interesting question. What about something like lava which falls into both the "fire" category and the "Rock" category. Will the themes have some overlap?

(at)Roxanna - Little Sister - Plutonium Bloom - MilkShakes
Triumph
Guardian
Virtue

Dev Tracker: http://cityoftitans.com/forum/fixing-dev-digest
Dev Comments: https://cityoftitans.com/forum/dev-comments

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
There are several areas here,

There are several areas here, which can be confusing due to it being rather different from how other games are. Things like Crystals would be a costume bit. The effect would be, for rock, little, well, rock particles. You can then alter things like color and size to get sand, lava, etc. They can be emitted in a multitude of ways, depending on the power. Not all options are available for all powers.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Kiyori Anoyui
Kiyori Anoyui's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/10/2013 - 11:03
So it sounds like it will

So it sounds like it will make a lot more sense when we can actually get in and be able to mess around with it. But if all the elemental base aesthetics will be costume pieces, that will even make for more options, so that sounds awesome!

The Carnival of Light in the Phoenix Rising
"We never lose our demons, we only learn to live above them." - The Ancient One

Avatar by lilshironeko

blacke4dawn
blacke4dawn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 03/28/2015 - 03:02
It sounds like power

It sounds like power aesthetics will be layered in a similar way that character aesthetics will be, not a single pre-built appearance that can only change color. If this is really so and the aesthetics themes we choose are only the "base shapes" we get then oh boy will it take time in the character creator to finish a new costume, and I mean that in a good way.

I can't wait to find out the full capabilities of the CC.

McJigg
McJigg's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/06/2016 - 05:14
It's starting to get hard to

It's starting to get hard to follow specifics to how things work and limitations from developer's off hand remarks. I'm just going to remain excited and look forward to testing out the costume maker so we can make a definitive list of how things work.

Empyrean
Empyrean's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/16/2014 - 07:51
McJigg wrote:
McJigg wrote:

It's starting to get hard to follow specifics to how things work and limitations from developer's off hand remarks. I'm just going to remain excited and look forward to testing out the costume maker so we can make a definitive list of how things work.

I'm getting an overall sense of "no, not totally free, but freer than anything you've ever seen before." And I'm more than cool with that.

Like powers, totally free aesthetics--while sounding awesome--might not actually work that well in practice. I know I might catch a little flame for saying that out loud, but I think it's probably true.

FIGHT EVIL! (or go cause trouble so the Heroes have something to do.)

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 24 min ago
Gunterkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/26/2013 - 16:24
Empyrean wrote:
Empyrean wrote:

Like powers, totally free aesthetics--while sounding awesome--might not actually work that well in practice. I know I might catch a little flame for saying that out loud, but I think it's probably true.

You won't catch any flame from me on that idea. As it is I'm just slightly concerned about the eyesores the actual planned amount of freedom might allow. I'm hoping the awesomeness of most creations will outweigh those.

Spurn all ye kindle.

McJigg
McJigg's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/06/2016 - 05:14
Cinnder wrote:
Cinnder wrote:

As it is I'm just slightly concerned about the eyesores the actual planned amount of freedom might allow. I'm hoping the awesomeness of most creations will outweigh those.

That was an argument against transmogrification in WoW (choosing armor appearances), thankfully in that, City of Heroes and pretty much anything else, after the opening rush the ridiculous entries fade away and become a rarity. At most a few run around the low levels, but how often did such unsightly fellows even make it to level 20 or 30?

Empyrean
Empyrean's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/16/2014 - 07:51
McJigg][quote=Cinnder wrote:
McJigg][quote=Cinnder wrote:

That was an argument against transmogrification in WoW (choosing armor appearances), thankfully in that, City of Heroes and pretty much anything else, after the opening rush the ridiculous entries fade away and become a rarity. At most a few run around the low levels, but how often did such unsightly fellows even make it to level 20 or 30?

I was thinking as much about the practical mechanical problems that total aesthetic freedom would create for the devs as the visual atrocities that would be committed. The latter will happen no matter what, and in CoH I learned to have a "their money, their fun" attitude about it.

FIGHT EVIL! (or go cause trouble so the Heroes have something to do.)

MeSoSollyWan
MeSoSollyWan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/18/2014 - 00:54
A dev in another thread

A dev in another thread stated that the first version of the character generator we get (hopefully within a few weeks) is not going to have any power customization on it. Only costumes.

So, be tempered!

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
MeSoSollyWan wrote:
MeSoSollyWan wrote:

A dev in another thread stated that the first version of the character generator we get (hopefully within a few weeks) is not going to have any power customization on it. Only costumes.

So, be tempered!

Correct. Power customization is its own system.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Cobalt Azurean
Cobalt Azurean's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 47 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 16:39
Empyrean][quote=McJigg wrote:
Empyrean][quote=McJigg wrote:
Cinnder wrote:

That was an argument against transmogrification in WoW (choosing armor appearances), thankfully in that, City of Heroes and pretty much anything else, after the opening rush the ridiculous entries fade away and become a rarity. At most a few run around the low levels, but how often did such unsightly fellows even make it to level 20 or 30?

I was thinking as much about the practical mechanical problems that total aesthetic freedom would create for the devs as the visual atrocities that would be committed. The latter will happen no matter what, and in CoH I learned to have a "their money, their fun" attitude about it.

Honestly, who cares if someone wants to run around and look ridiculous? Some times that's part of the fun for some of us.

MeSoSollyWan
MeSoSollyWan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/18/2014 - 00:54
Cobalt Azurean][quote
Cobalt Azurean][quote=Empyrean wrote:
McJigg wrote:
Cinnder wrote:

That was an argument against transmogrification in WoW (choosing armor appearances), thankfully in that, City of Heroes and pretty much anything else, after the opening rush the ridiculous entries fade away and become a rarity. At most a few run around the low levels, but how often did such unsightly fellows even make it to level 20 or 30?

I was thinking as much about the practical mechanical problems that total aesthetic freedom would create for the devs as the visual atrocities that would be committed. The latter will happen no matter what, and in CoH I learned to have a "their money, their fun" attitude about it.

Honestly, who cares if someone wants to run around and look ridiculous? Some times that's part of the fun for some of us.

One of my favorite CoV costumes was a groupmate that had "Colorblind Robot" and in his description he wrote, "He thinks he looks good."
But he was no joke, like, 7 different colors.

Empyrean
Empyrean's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 03/16/2014 - 07:51
MeSoSollyWan][quote=Cobalt
MeSoSollyWan wrote:
Cobalt Azurean wrote:
Empyrean wrote:

I was thinking as much about the practical mechanical problems that total aesthetic freedom would create for the devs as the visual atrocities that would be committed. The latter will happen no matter what, and in CoH I learned to have a "their money, their fun" attitude about it.

Honestly, who cares if someone wants to run around and look ridiculous? Some times that's part of the fun for some of us.

One of my favorite CoV costumes was a groupmate that had "Colorblind Robot" and in his description he wrote, "He thinks he looks good."
But he was no joke, like, 7 different colors.

That's exactly what I meant. They're paying for the game, let em have their fun their way. I definitely saw some things that were intentionally meant to be annoying in CoH, but anywhere you go there's always that guy.

FIGHT EVIL! (or go cause trouble so the Heroes have something to do.)

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
One of our earlier iterations

One of our earlier iterations of the character model had a 6-color limit. That is, could only pick 6 colors to go on the character. When we tested it, we found this to be too limiting. So, we figured out how to make each area independent. It comes at a cost, a fixed color look up table, but I think most players will be happy with the compromise.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

One of our earlier iterations of the character model had a 6-color limit. That is, could only pick 6 colors to go on the character. When we tested it, we found this to be too limiting. So, we figured out how to make each area independent. It comes at a cost, a fixed color look up table, but I think most players will be happy with the compromise.

So like CoX had?

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

notears
notears's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 8 sec ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/04/2013 - 17:24
I wanna dress like a clown

I wanna dress like a clown and hit people with a sack of bricks

Crimsonomen20
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/19/2018 - 17:54
I'm gonna have a cadre of

I'm gonna have a cadre of clowns.

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
Project_Hero wrote:
Project_Hero wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

One of our earlier iterations of the character model had a 6-color limit. That is, could only pick 6 colors to go on the character. When we tested it, we found this to be too limiting. So, we figured out how to make each area independent. It comes at a cost, a fixed color look up table, but I think most players will be happy with the compromise.

So like CoX had?

Right

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

OathboundOne
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 03/06/2016 - 16:15
McJigg wrote:
McJigg wrote:
Cinnder wrote:

As it is I'm just slightly concerned about the eyesores the actual planned amount of freedom might allow. I'm hoping the awesomeness of most creations will outweigh those.

That was an argument against transmogrification in WoW (choosing armor appearances), thankfully in that, City of Heroes and pretty much anything else, after the opening rush the ridiculous entries fade away and become a rarity. At most a few run around the low levels, but how often did such unsightly fellows even make it to level 20 or 30?

I frankly find that argument hilarious considering the absolute clown suit of colors and superfluousness/excessiveness that is WoW's armor (baring raid tier armors that had a unified color scheme/style). They were worried about eyesores? In a game without a dye system (So no way to match your gear as you progressed, constantly getting new gear).

Personally, I always used transmog to convert my gear to look like the lower level gear, because I much preferred the basic armors to all the exaggerated, overly stylized junk that high level gear was.

McJigg
McJigg's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/06/2016 - 05:14
OathboundOne wrote:
OathboundOne wrote:
McJigg wrote:
Cinnder wrote:

As it is I'm just slightly concerned about the eyesores the actual planned amount of freedom might allow. I'm hoping the awesomeness of most creations will outweigh those.

That was an argument against transmogrification in WoW (choosing armor appearances), thankfully in that, City of Heroes and pretty much anything else, after the opening rush the ridiculous entries fade away and become a rarity. At most a few run around the low levels, but how often did such unsightly fellows even make it to level 20 or 30?

I frankly find that argument hilarious considering the absolute clown suit of colors and superfluousness/excessiveness that is WoW's armor (baring raid tier armors that had a unified color scheme/style). They were worried about eyesores? In a game without a dye system (So no way to match your gear as you progressed, constantly getting new gear).

Personally, I always used transmog to convert my gear to look like the lower level gear, because I much preferred the basic armors to all the exaggerated, overly stylized junk that high level gear was.

Same here, I don't rp my goblin rogue as some master assassin or anything, I rp him as a low level agent/scout and dress as such. I know WoW largely became about being the hero, but I always enjoyed it best as just an adventurer. Even today I prefer the story in the questing zones for levels 1-30ish over anything new coming out. I'll have a similar stance in City of Titans, I may make a character to explore the North/high path, but most of my characters will be going through the South/low path. I just tend to enjoy less.... 'grand' settings, so when something big happens it carries some weight.

Project_Hero
Project_Hero's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2014 - 11:21
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Project_Hero wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

One of our earlier iterations of the character model had a 6-color limit. That is, could only pick 6 colors to go on the character. When we tested it, we found this to be too limiting. So, we figured out how to make each area independent. It comes at a cost, a fixed color look up table, but I think most players will be happy with the compromise.

So like CoX had?

Right

I am ok with this.

But for the love of everything make sure that all the shades look the same on everything. Frustrates me to no end that when I have the same color for multiple costume pieces it doesn't look the same.

Like black-black top and black-black bottoms and yet the bottoms look grey!

Makes a me so mad!

Same as when belts don't quite cover properly and I see a tiny one pixel line of it the wrong color and I have to go change the belt or the whole design because it doesn't fit right!

My costumes need to be perfect >:V

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Doctor Tyche
Doctor Tyche's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Developer11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 12/04/2012 - 11:29
Project_Hero wrote:
Project_Hero wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Project_Hero wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

One of our earlier iterations of the character model had a 6-color limit. That is, could only pick 6 colors to go on the character. When we tested it, we found this to be too limiting. So, we figured out how to make each area independent. It comes at a cost, a fixed color look up table, but I think most players will be happy with the compromise.

So like CoX had?

Right

I am ok with this.

But for the love of everything make sure that all the shades look the same on everything. Frustrates me to no end that when I have the same color for multiple costume pieces it doesn't look the same.

Like black-black top and black-black bottoms and yet the bottoms look grey!

Makes a me so mad!

Same as when belts don't quite cover properly and I see a tiny one pixel line of it the wrong color and I have to go change the belt or the whole design because it doesn't fit right!

My costumes need to be perfect >:V

So long as you use the same material for both, it will be fine.

Technical Director

Read enough Facebook and you have to make Sanity Checks. I guess FB is the Great Old One of the interent these days... - Beamrider

Lin Chiao Feng
Lin Chiao Feng's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Developerkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/02/2013 - 09:27
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Project_Hero wrote:

But for the love of everything make sure that all the shades look the same on everything. Frustrates me to no end that when I have the same color for multiple costume pieces it doesn't look the same.

Like black-black top and black-black bottoms and yet the bottoms look grey!

Makes a me so mad!

Same as when belts don't quite cover properly and I see a tiny one pixel line of it the wrong color and I have to go change the belt or the whole design because it doesn't fit right!

My costumes need to be perfect >:V

So long as you use the same material for both, it will be fine.

Back in CoX the materials were hardwired into the costume parts, hence the tinting differences.

Has anyone seen my mind? It was right here...

McJigg
McJigg's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/06/2016 - 05:14
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:
Lin Chiao Feng wrote:

Back in CoX the materials were hardwired into the costume parts, hence the tinting differences.

Can't wait for my villain with burlap shoulder pads with spikes! (sarcasm)

Really glad we'll be having material control, I think that opens a lot more possibilities and really adds to the potential of every future costume piece made.

TitansCity
TitansCity's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 45 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 02:09
Doctor Tyche wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

One of our earlier iterations of the character model had a 6-color limit. That is, could only pick 6 colors to go on the character. When we tested it, we found this to be too limiting. So, we figured out how to make each area independent. It comes at a cost, a fixed color look up table, but I think most players will be happy with the compromise.

6 colours is too limitating, i agree. I could not create my rainbow-unicorn-heroin-which-spread-love-and-candies-even-to-the-bad-bad-guys ^^
Nice to read that ! I think it's better to have more color possibilities to go on the character than more colours and nothing more.

McJigg
McJigg's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
kickstarter
Joined: 07/06/2016 - 05:14
TitansCity wrote:
TitansCity wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

One of our earlier iterations of the character model had a 6-color limit. That is, could only pick 6 colors to go on the character. When we tested it, we found this to be too limiting. So, we figured out how to make each area independent. It comes at a cost, a fixed color look up table, but I think most players will be happy with the compromise.

6 colours is too limitating, i agree. I could not create my rainbow-unicorn-heroin-which-spread-love-and-candies-even-to-the-bad-bad-guys ^^
Nice to read that ! I think it's better to have more color possibilities to go on the character than more colours and nothing more.

I can't be sure if you meant heroine or not, either word seems to fit.

blacke4dawn
blacke4dawn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 03/28/2015 - 03:02
TitansCity wrote:
TitansCity wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

One of our earlier iterations of the character model had a 6-color limit. That is, could only pick 6 colors to go on the character. When we tested it, we found this to be too limiting. So, we figured out how to make each area independent. It comes at a cost, a fixed color look up table, but I think most players will be happy with the compromise.

6 colours is too limitating, i agree. I could not create my rainbow-unicorn-heroin-which-spread-love-and-candies-even-to-the-bad-bad-guys ^^
Nice to read that ! I think it's better to have more color possibilities to go on the character than more colours and nothing more.

I agree, it's better to have a higher number of different colors on the character than having a wider range of colors to choose from.

Hopefully though we'll get a higher number of pre-set colors to choose from than what's in CoH and CO combined.

Fireheart
Fireheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/05/2013 - 13:45
216 Web Safe Colors?

216 Web Safe Colors?

Be Well!
Fireheart

Huckleberry
Huckleberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 08:39
Fireheart wrote:
Fireheart wrote:

216 Web Safe Colors?

I don't know what you mean by web safe. But to encourage the T for Teen rating, they can now ensure there are no costume duplicates of skin colors in order to prevent nude characters.


I like to take your ideas and supersize them. This isn't criticism, it is flattery. I come with nothing but good will and a spirit of team-building. If you take what I write any other way, that is probably just because I wasn't very clear.
Lord Nightmare
Lord Nightmare's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 10 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/02/2013 - 15:44
The 216 Web Safe colors are

The 216 Web Safe colors are the ones that could be used on the old 256 color displays back in the day and were chosen because they were shared with all (read: Most) computers or were at least very similar to default pallets which would reduce load times. Then you have the 22 "Super safe" colors which were for the 8 and 16-bit displays that were still heavily in use.

Revenge is motivation enough. At least it's honest...

Roleplayer; Esteemed Villain

TitansCity
TitansCity's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 45 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 02:09
McJigg wrote:
McJigg wrote:
TitansCity wrote:
Doctor Tyche wrote:

One of our earlier iterations of the character model had a 6-color limit. That is, could only pick 6 colors to go on the character. When we tested it, we found this to be too limiting. So, we figured out how to make each area independent. It comes at a cost, a fixed color look up table, but I think most players will be happy with the compromise.

6 colours is too limitating, i agree. I could not create my rainbow-unicorn-heroin-which-spread-love-and-candies-even-to-the-bad-bad-guys ^^
Nice to read that ! I think it's better to have more color possibilities to go on the character than more colours and nothing more.

I can't be sure if you meant heroine or not, either word seems to fit.

OMG xD Heroine, i wanted to say Heroine, not heroin... :s

Brand X
Brand X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 44 min ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 11/01/2013 - 00:26
Just make sure people can

Just make sure people can color their snow yellow in CoT!

Cinnder
Cinnder's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 24 min ago
Gunterkickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/26/2013 - 16:24
Today the electric signs on

Today the electric signs on the motorways here read:

YELLOW WARNING
SNOW FORECAST

As you might imagine, my eyes can't help but shuffle the words before they get to my brain.

Spurn all ye kindle.

Grimfox
Grimfox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 4 hours ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 08/05/2014 - 10:17
Read this "rainbow-unicorn

Read this "rainbow-unicorn-heroin-which-spread-love-and-candies-even-to-the-bad-bad-guys "

Thought of SotD "She's like Heroin"

I'm probably broken....if you don't like SotD then probably don't look up that song. Actually, probably just don't look up that song.

(at)Roxanna - Little Sister - Plutonium Bloom - MilkShakes
Triumph
Guardian
Virtue

Dev Tracker: http://cityoftitans.com/forum/fixing-dev-digest
Dev Comments: https://cityoftitans.com/forum/dev-comments

SisterSilicon
SisterSilicon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 days ago
kickstarter11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 07/17/2014 - 20:14
Grimfox wrote:
Grimfox wrote:

Read this "rainbow-unicorn-heroin-which-spread-love-and-candies-even-to-the-bad-bad-guys "

Thought of SotD "She's like Heroin"

I'm probably broken....if you don't like SotD then probably don't look up that song. Actually, probably just don't look up that song.

I had forgotten about that song. Now you've reminded me of it.

Damn your eyes.

Twitter: @SisterSilicon

TitansCity
TitansCity's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 45 min ago
11th Anniversary Badge
Joined: 10/28/2013 - 02:09
Grimfox wrote:
Grimfox wrote:

Read this "rainbow-unicorn-heroin-which-spread-love-and-candies-even-to-the-bad-bad-guys "

Thought of SotD "She's like Heroin"

I'm probably broken....if you don't like SotD then probably don't look up that song. Actually, probably just don't look up that song.

didn't know it but i like it :D